Items To Help Me Prepare For My First Trips Of 2018

Items To Help Me Prepare For My First Trips Of 2018

I seem to have said this the past few years but last year was an incredible year for travel for me and I feel so lucky to have gotten the chance to head to as many countries as I did. Travel for me is always going to be a huge part of my life and unless anything major happens I can’t imagine I’ll ever go a year without at least one or two trips away, but unlike the past few years I do plan on toning down 2018 just a bit. I have a lot of goals for this year and starting to make active steps in saving to move from my flat to a house is a real mindset so of course this is going to mean I’m going to have to spend money more wisely for the next 2-5 year’s while me and my boyfriend do all the ‘adult’ things we need to.

But this doesn’t mean 2018 is going to be that quiet as I have two nights in Luxumburg planned for February, five days in New York for my boyfriends birthday in March, four days in Romania pencilled in for May/ June, five days of relaxation in Dubrovnik pencilled in for September and a German Christmas Market must visit in December. So it’s not really ‘quiet’ but these trips are more pre-planned and saved than sponteneous for me.

Planning has always been my forte and while I’ve been having a HUGE post Christmas flat clear out I’ve been thinking about the items which are going to help me with my travels in 2018.

Culture Smart Books

I am still a massive fan of good old fashioned physical books and Culture Smart are celebrating publishing their 100th country book this month. The books aren’t the most traditional travel guides and this is what I really love about them as there’s chapters on the land and people of the country, traditional food to try, safety, values and attitudes, the customs and traditions alongside some language and common phrases. But they go beyond that and have really useful information for expats and those living abroad with stuff on how to make friends, home life, time out, health and much more.

I picked up four books from the titles to keep on hand including a book on Romania which is going to come in really handy for my trip later this year as there’s a whole load of information on travelling around the country which is something I plan on doing to include a trip to Translyvania.

Technicals Coat

Technicals Parka Jacket

My boyfriend will be the first person to acknowledge that I am really bad at dressing in weather appropriate clothing and with a trip to Luxumburg planned for next month I knew I needed something to keep the cold edge off and this Technicals Polar Parka* from Blacks is perfect.

The jacket itself has a fully waterproof exterior and I can atest after wearing it out and about over the Christmas period when the weather wasn’t at it’s best it kept me so dry, but the good thing is due to the smart fabric used it does keep you toasty but there’s breathability so it isn’t stiffling hot. I opted for a navy jacket as I wear so much black I thought it would be nice to have a change for once and it’s such a nice colour with the nicest cosy fur trimmed hood.

Another thing which I loved about it is that there are 2 outside zipped pockets meaning there’s no chance my phone is going to get wet when I’m out and there’s also an interior zipped pocket (perfect for documents and passports) and an exterior chest pocket. It’s one of those coats which can enhance space so much.

Technicals Coat with Hood

Cable Knit Bobble Hat

Up until a few year’s ago I never used to wear hats as I didn’t think they suited me all that much but growing up and being a bit more practical changed my mind and I do love a good bobble hat. I got this lovely burgandy North Face Cable Pom Beanie* and it’s my new favourite hat partly because the colour is one of my absolute favourites but also because it’s so warm for these cold winter months, especially when the rain and occassional snow falls. The pom pom itself is really soft as well and even after washing it the nice feel to it remains.

Knowing how cold Luxumburg could be in February and how tempremental the March weather in New York is likely to be I know it’s going to be coming with one both of my first trips out of the country, but chances are it will be around for a whole lot more too.

1. January 10, 2018 / 4:10 pm

You are so organised, making sure you have everything ready for your trip. We are sure your parka coat will come in handy for your Luxumburg trip.

2. January 10, 2018 / 5:10 pm

That coat looks so cosy! have a wonderful trip! I’m envious of your New York trip too, I look forward to reading about it 🙂

3. Joanna
    January 10, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I am a guide book person as well and never go on a trip without buying one. I am a fan of Lonely Planet and this collection is probably my most precious in my bookcase. I already have 2 shelves full of LPs. I didn’t hear about the Cultur Smart guides before.

4. January 10, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Wow I can’t believe how many amazing places you are going to visit this year, can’t wait to read the blog posts about them! New York sounds like a dream. I think weekend breaks are the best way to get lots of holidays in 🙂 x

5. January 10, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Wow you really are prepared for your travels. I wish I wasn’t so nervous to get on a plane, there is loads of places I’d love to visit. I doubt I would be as organised as you though haha.
    Plus that coat looks amazing and so comfy

6. January 10, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Oh my goodness how organised are you getting ready for all your trips! I am loving how warm that coat looks it is going to perfect for when you visit somewhere cold!

7. January 11, 2018 / 9:11 am

The guide books sound good, we have a few traveling trips planned this year and you have just reminded me to get a couple. Although ours are all about what to do with kids! Love the look of the coat too. Hope 2018 is amazing for you x

8. January 11, 2018 / 9:21 am

Great start! I prefer a proper travel book too. I know eBooks are convenient but I’d rather take a book out of my bag than my phone any day. Love the jacket!

9. January 11, 2018 / 11:49 am

I love the sound of those travel guides – I like that they aren’t as traditional as others (I can sometimes find travel guides really boring) so I think I’d get on with these. I love your jacket, it will be perfect for Luxemburg!

10. January 11, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Great organisation! I love that the books give a little more than a traditional travel guide. You will be so warm in your parka!

11. January 11, 2018 / 5:08 pm

Looks like some serious organisation going on here – you have some fab travel plans x

12. January 11, 2018 / 8:20 pm

These are brilliant ideas, and I had no idea that these books existed! Definitely a good idea, and I’m 100% going to give them a go next time I’m travelling xo

13. January 11, 2018 / 8:52 pm

Ok I’m seriously jealous of all the places you’re going. I haven’t got anything planned this year!

14. January 12, 2018 / 1:12 am

Right that’s it! You’re so organised – I really need to get to grips with 2018 plans!

15. January 12, 2018 / 9:29 am

How exciting that you are going to be visiting those amazing places and what a great idea to get those books to prepare you, too!

16. January 12, 2018 / 12:18 pm

Looks like you’ll have a great 2018! I love that Parka, looks so cosy!

17. January 12, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Love travel guides and always always buy one before I go anywhere. Venice is next on my list and I really enjoyed your photos.

18. January 12, 2018 / 11:22 pm

My folks loved New York when they visited a couple of years back, have a fab time visiting Dubrovnik – you’ll love it x

19. January 13, 2018 / 12:37 am

Ooh good luck with all those “adult” things you’ve got to do now! I’m very jealous that Dubrovnik is on the cards for you – I’m a huge Game of Thrones fan so I’m desperate to visit!

20. January 13, 2018 / 4:52 pm

I’m just a teensy bit jealous that you’re off to New York, it’s somewhere I’d love to go but just haven’t got to yet. Oh, and the German Christmas markets! My mum’s been a few times and raved about them, our markets just aren’t anywhere near as good apparently! Enjoy!

21. January 13, 2018 / 8:41 pm

I think I need that coat in my life. I’m not one for dressing for the weather either to be honest. I completely misjudge how cold it’s going to be

22. January 15, 2018 / 11:35 am

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous of the trips you already have planned! Especially New York. I went about 7 years ago and have wanted to go back ever since!

23. January 15, 2018 / 3:58 pm

It sounds as if a fun 2018 is in store for you! I love that New York is on there. I am a New Yorker 🙂

24. January 16, 2018 / 6:37 pm

I’ve not seen the Culture Smart books before – I usually go for the Marco Polo guides, as they’re small and can be stuffed in a bag when I’m about and about exploring. So I’ll have to check this brand out, cos it sounds like they have a lot of extra info! Also loving that coat – could have done with that myself when I was in Iceland lol xx

25. January 20, 2018 / 4:42 am

Preparation is the best think after your traveling or trip. Your traveling items is some unique thing . Your Technical parka jacket is cool . I love your style. But I heard to happy that you have a good boy friend. I wish your 2018 trip is happy journey.