Ways To Stay Healthy In The New Year

Ways To Stay Healthy In The New Year

I’m the first to hold my hands up and say that I always start the year with great aspirations of losing a whole load of weight and getting into shape then it never really materialises. I know 2018 is going to be a bit different as I am properly on my Slimming World journey but this is going to be a slow process as I am only aiming for 1.5 pounds of weight loss a week so it’s going to be very gradual.

When I think about staying healthy now my priorities have changed and it’s no longer washboard ab’s and skinny legs which make me think of health but it’s more about mental stability with some physical bits thrown in. I’d rather feel healthy and happy than just be skinny.

Make sure you always make time for yourself

I am too much of a workaholic and will spend hours on my laptop doing things which are almost certainly not recreational so I need to make sure to always make some time for myself. Whether that be a few hours for a nice bath and pamper season, or an evening so I can snuggle up with a blanket, some hot chocolate and a new movie. I’m not saying I’m going to have time every single day for this but at least once a week I don’t want to think about work and have some time to heal my mind and relax.

For me a pamper session is always one of the best ways to relax and using a good sheet mask like the Hydrating and Balancing masks from Janna* are just what I need. I’ve been trying to make a conscious effort to choose more natural products and stuff which hasn’t been tested on animals and these tick both those boxes. At this time of year, my skin tends to feel a bit dry so the hydrating mask is perfect as it gives a boost of hydration to soothe and repair skin and the Hyaluronic Acid within it helps your skin to retain moisture and my skin definitely felt plump after using. The balancing mask is a bit more of an all-rounder as the Salicylic Acid within the mask helps to increase cell turnover and skin renewal to keep your skin glowing and healthy looking.

They’re absolutely perfect to pop on when you’re in the bath relaxing while listening to your favourite podcast or while you’re laying in bed catching up with the latest episode of whatever Netflix series you’re binging.

Janna Face Masks

Give my eyes a break

As I spend a lot of time looking at screens for both my fulltime job and in my free time I do feel like my eyes are strained a lot so I want to have some out from screens to relax my eyes and do something less strenuous as I do worry about the fact that I’m sure I’ll need glasses at some point soon. For those of you who wear contact lenses a lot the new year is a good time to give your eyes a break from them and just wear your glasses for a bit as it can stop irritation and just give them some breathing space. I’ve never really used anything on my eyes but a good eye drop can do so much good.

Take supplements

I’m nowhere near as bad as I used to be when it comes to getting nutrients in my body and I actively eat vegetables now, something that I never thought would happen, but I know there are still some things which my body lacks. I go through phases when it comes to supplements but I want to make sure that 2018 is the year I get properly into the habit of it to ensure that my insides stay healthy and happy.

Drink more water

This has been a bit of a resolution of sorts for years for me as I am a huge fizzy drink fan and I know it’s so bad for me but it’s a bit of a battle really despite being such an easy thing to do. I do drink more squash when I am at home than I used to but I know there’s a lot more I could do. I want to get into the habit of having a water bottle with me at work to ensure that I drink more of that at my desk and don’t buy fizzy drinks to take in with me, especially as this is meant to keep me feeling fuller for longer.

Ways to stay healthy in the new year

This post was written in collaboration with Vision Direct but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. January 11, 2018 / 1:09 pm

I’m all about drinking loads more water this year! Staying hydrated is so important and water is the original “super food”

Laura x

2. January 11, 2018 / 1:18 pm

These are some great tips. As you know I am also on Slimming World so this year will hopefully be different for me too

3. January 11, 2018 / 2:52 pm

I’m hoping to get healthier this year but I think there is too much pressure specially in the early months of the year. I personally don’t have the money to join a gym or even pay the small weekly fee of slimming world but I will be drinking more water and increasing my exercise by walking more and taking my running back up.

4. January 11, 2018 / 4:26 pm

I really need to give my eyes a break too, I wouldn’t want to imagine how many hours I spend each day staring at a screen! Such good advice here, let’s hope we can stick to it!

5. January 11, 2018 / 9:09 pm

I definitely need to follow your advice, especially about taking a little time for myself. Like you Iā€™m definitely too much of a workaholic x

6. January 11, 2018 / 10:12 pm

I definitely need to start giving my eyes a break more from the screens. I also love a good pamper session taking time for ourselves is important for health.

7. January 12, 2018 / 12:57 am

These sound like some great ways to help yourself keep healthy, I think we all need to think about how much screen time out.

8. January 12, 2018 / 2:16 pm

Some great ideas here, for me it has to be drink more water. I try, but sometimes actually forget when I am hectic x

9. January 12, 2018 / 9:49 pm

I have to admit I don’t look after myself as much as I should. I certainly spread myself a little too thin. However, I am trying to make more time for me. The one thing I have really tried to improve since Christmas is my water intake. I am doing a couple of litres a day and find it really helps x

10. January 13, 2018 / 11:58 am

My resolution is to drink more water this year but I have been failing miserably so far

11. Jen
    January 13, 2018 / 12:12 pm

My start to The New Year hasn’t been the healthiest emotionally, having had all kinds of rubbish to deal with; so getting physically healthier has been almost impossible. Great plans for eating better have been met with meals of a sandwich for dinner, and cutting back on coffee and drinking more water, well that is just a joke at the moment. I need to have serious words with myself. Having read this, I can see that needs to happen sooner rather than later. Thanks for the reminders.

12. January 13, 2018 / 12:48 pm

Giving your eyes a break is such an important one especially in our line of work. 1.5 lb loss per week is a great goal and manageable.

13. January 13, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Drinking more water is definitely one of my new years resolutions – it has so many healthy benefits and costs nothing!! x

14. January 13, 2018 / 1:28 pm

Drinking more water is a big one for me. I don’t drink anywhere near enough and lay here now with a kidney infection, Im really regretting not drinking more!

15. January 13, 2018 / 8:36 pm

I really love this post. I totally agree that taking steps to feel better physically and mentally is the right way to approach health and weight loss rather than aiming for achievable abs or a flat stomach.

16. January 15, 2018 / 11:32 am

ive currently started my healthier living over a week ago ad just by drinking more and eating wholemeal or brown bread instead f white ive lost 4lb im so happy

17. Bethany
    January 15, 2018 / 12:08 pm

I definitely need to drink more, swell as take care of myself more, your words are truly inspiring.

18. January 15, 2018 / 12:08 pm

Those sheet masks sound lovely! I’m on a bit of a weight loss mission this year, but really need to think about making more time for myself too!

19. January 15, 2018 / 12:20 pm

I’m struggling with the drinking water already this year. I have to stop with the energy drinks first I think. I need to try harder.

20. January 15, 2018 / 1:00 pm

I need to use my contact lenses less and consider eye drops as my eyes have been really dry recently

21. January 15, 2018 / 2:21 pm

These are actually all things I’m trying too! I’m not doing very well at giving my eyes a break… I have even set little notifications on my laptop to tell me to get away from the screen but I’ve been so busy, I keep ignoring them. I’ve had a twitch in my right eye for two weeks now.

22. January 15, 2018 / 2:32 pm

I think as bloggers we all spend way too much time in front of screens and electronic devices, I am sure. You have reminded me that I do need to have an eye test (long overdue) which will be my little bit of self care for January, I think šŸ™‚

23. hannah
    January 15, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I’m going to try and drink more water and get my exercise routine back this year

24. Helen
    January 15, 2018 / 9:11 pm

These are great tips for staying healthy this year. I need to work more on having some time to myself regularly too, its so hard when you work and blog though isn’t it.

25. January 15, 2018 / 10:00 pm

I have always tried to drink more fluids, in fact I need to due to my Thyroid illness. As for the rest, I can always improve with my health. This post is just a gentle reminder I need to improve. šŸ˜‰

John M

26. January 16, 2018 / 10:27 am

I’ve switched my regular cups of coffee for herbal tea, and I can’t believe the affect it’s had on my energy levels (in a good way)!