Alternative Things To Do For Valentines Day

Alternative Things To Do For Valentines Day

Whether you’re in a relationship or not Valentines Day is a great time to do something with the person who means the most to you, be it your partner or your best friend because who doesn’t love showing someone how much they’re loved?! Before I was in a relationship all us single pringles would make sure that we spent Valentines Day together either going to see a movie or just hanging out and it was such a nice way to spend the day.

When it comes to making plans I would much prefer to do an activity and the more unusual and different the better, so here are two alternative ways to spend your Valentines Day.

whistle punks score board

Axe Throwing with Whistle Punks

Whistle Punks is nestled within an unassuming industrial estate in Vauxhall, home to Urban Axe Throwing. I’ve done archery, fired a crossbow and faced targets during shooting so axe throwing sounded like a great thing to try. Sessions last 1.5 hours and you can book on at either 5.45pm or 7.30pm during the week or across 4/5 times at the weekend.

Our session kicked off at 7.30pm on a Friday night so understandably they were fully booked but this didn’t mean that we felt rushed or like we didn’t get enough time. Once the safety briefing/ waivers were all done we headed to our lane ready to be taught both the single handed and double handed axe throw. I have to admit I really wasn’t very good, trying to use coordination and strength was a bit too much for me but the instructors did give me a good feedback. Luke came with me and was a natural (I think the beard has something to do with it).

Once everybody in our team had had two practice sessions it was time for the tournament where you get three games of five throws with the top four people moving onto the semi-finals. Over 15 throws I managed a whole one point (told you I was bad), but Luke smashed his way through the rounds, came top in the semi-finals and then won the whole thing so it seems he was a natural.

Despite the fact that I did badly it was such a fun event and it allowed us to have some friendly competition with each other and the strangers we met on the night. We had so much fun that we’re already planning our second trip to bring along some friends.

lets race me in the carFormula 1 Simulation Racing at Lets Race

The Lets Race centre is located just outside of Gatwick Airport which in itself is probably the main disadvantage to the centre as I can imagine it gets pretty busy on the roads at times but we arrived with plenty of time on our session day. Let’s Race is the UK’s only full-motion Formula 1 simulation centre allowing you to get as close to driving a formula 1 car as most of us will get.

After our quick safety briefing where I promptly opted to drive my car in manual we were lead into the dark room where the 10 simulators are set up. Getting into the car was an experience as you’re practically laying down like in a real formula 1 car with three immersive screens around you showing your course view ahead of you. Unlike a normal driving game, you don’t get a course map showing so when we went round the Austrian Grand Prix Track we saw it like a real driver would. To give the feeling of the real car they in motion as you’d expect a car on the track to do, and when you crash you know about it which may have been why I drove my car pretty conservatively for a formula 1 car.

After a 15 minute qualifying round where I completed 3 laps compared to Luke’s 7 we had a quick break before the main race. Getting out of the car for me was actually the hardest part of the event and I have a bruise on my arm from pulling myself up. We were quickly back into the room for our main race and I did pretty well for the first half a lap where a few other drivers crashed early on but that’s where it ended, but I did better than the qualifier managing about five complete laps. As I guessed would happen Luke went and won with over 60 seconds between him and the person second.

On Valentines Day itself, the centre is running a Trials Night where you can race head-to-head with your partner to try and prove that us women are good drivers. It costs £59.98 for couples where you’ll get a beer or glass of champagne as you arrive and 40 minutes of driving time which is such a good price for the driving time.

Alternative Things To Do For Valentines Day

*I was given a free pass for both Whistle Punks and Lets Race in exchange for an honest review so all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. Bryanna Skye
    February 4, 2018 / 7:07 pm

Very interesting ideas – definitely not things I’d ever have thought of doing!

2. Claire
    February 4, 2018 / 7:32 pm

Love that you came up with very different ideas. A friend and I are taking each other out to see cirque du soleil for Valentine’s Day to celebrate our friendship 🙂 why not celebrate all forms of love and friendship 😉

3. February 4, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Fab ideas! My husband and I aren’t really romantic in terms of candle lit meals, we would much prefer to do something like this! Axe throwing sounds like fun!

4. February 5, 2018 / 5:08 am

They are good ideas especially for me who is absolutely not a romantic and who does not celebrate Valentines. That’s more like my stuff.

Mika

5. February 5, 2018 / 7:57 am

Such great ideas and so different too. Formula one is such a cool pick x

6. February 5, 2018 / 12:04 pm

These ideas are absolutely ace and things I would never have thought of. My hubby would love it 🙂 and i love the fact they are so very different to the norm x

7. Bethany
    February 5, 2018 / 6:02 pm

Axe throwing sounds so interesting, it’s so not normal but such a thrilling activity.

8. February 5, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Great ideas. The thought of Urban Axe Throwing sounds great fun! Very different from a meal out!

9. February 6, 2018 / 11:17 am

Axe throwing sounds very fun albeit a tiny bit scary if you miss where your aiming for! The F1 stimulator would be more my kind of thing and I could get competitive with the husband.

10. February 6, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Now those are really different ideas. I have to say there have already been a couple of times this year when axe throwing has crossed my mind but not in a very romantic way…. It’ll probably be another quiet night in with some vino for us.

11. February 6, 2018 / 7:38 pm

We’re always looking for alternative valentines dates. Love the look of axe throwing lol!

12. February 6, 2018 / 8:31 pm

Love the idea of the Lets race circuit and my hubby would blummin love that. Great ideas!

13. February 7, 2018 / 9:48 am

I love the idea of axe throwing, although I don’t think anyone who knows me would let me do it for fear of me injuring myself or them ha

14. February 7, 2018 / 10:28 am

I’d love to have a go at Axe Throwing. It looks like so much fun (and would probably be great for my stress at the moment as well LOL).

Louise x

15. February 7, 2018 / 2:00 pm

Both of them sound fun and most certainly different.

16. February 9, 2018 / 2:57 pm

These are great ideas. In a relationship or not, it will be simple but cool. Maybe I can try this.

17. Hannah Denton
    February 12, 2018 / 8:34 am

They soundsuoer fun! I’m always looking for something a little unique to do,axe throwing seems pretty out there! I’m hooked!

18. February 12, 2018 / 3:55 pm

Ha these are amazing ideas! I’d love to try axe throwing, but I think i’d be too scared!

19. February 12, 2018 / 8:35 pm

You really do have some amazing ideas here! The Formula One simulation sounds like a great deal of fun, my boyfriend really wanted to do a race car experience driving round a track, but although he has his driving licence, he’s never actually driven since passing his test at age 17, so he would be pretty useless at getting into a high-powered car! A simulator therefore sounds like a much better option!

Abbey x

20. February 12, 2018 / 8:56 pm

The cheetah thinks you flipped the script and that YOU were the one kicking ass and covering up for Luke.
    I tend to agree with him because as I read this,I could hear you sounding like Brian Mills…..*s*
    Fun post!

21. February 13, 2018 / 10:49 am

I’ve been to Whistle Punks myself on a double date and thinks it’s so fun! I wasn’t very good though 🙁

22. February 13, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Love the idea of axe throwing. I’ve always been pretty good at target type sports

23. February 14, 2018 / 7:02 am

I love this post! Valentines has become so sterotyped into a romantic dinner etc when actually, I’d rather do something more fun!