Six Things You Have To Do In Prague

Six Things You Have To Do In Prague

I headed to Prague for the very first time last September and while I didn’t fall head over heels in love with it like I had expected to I did have a very nice long weekend with my best friend exploring a new city. There’s quite a lot to do in the city (especially if you like drinking beer) but here are six things I feel you have to do on a trip to Prague.

Climb up St.Vitus Cathedrale

For me St. Vitus Cathedrale had the biggest wow factor for me out of everything in Prague and the outside is absolutely stunning with such a gothic feel and you can choose to climb up the tower to reach the views at the top. Now considering the cathedral already sits on a pretty tall hill climbing up gave absolutely amazing views even if I did feel like I was going to collapse when I reached the top. Sometimes I regret walking up attractions as I don’t feel the view is worthwhile but this is one which certainly was.

Take a trip out to Kutna Hora to see the Bone Church

One of my main reasons for wanting to go to Prague was to see the Bone Church located in a neighbouring town of Kunta Hora. Now you can do the trip yourself by navigating trains and finding your way from the station but we opted to pay a tour guide to take us especially as it included a few other location visits and an authentic Czech lunch. The Bone Church is pretty surreal as the whole church is decorated in the skulls and bones collected from over 40,000 human skellingtons including a huge chandelier, benches and an altar. It was fascinating and a good way of celebrating the dead as opposed to hiding them away.

Trdnelik Prague

Eat a Trdelnik

Of course, the top thing to do in the city had to revolve around food but what a snack it is. Trdelnik is rolled dough which is wrapped up round a stick where it is cooked and topped with sugar, nuts or cinnamon. You can pretty much find these at any street food stall but remember there are queues at certain places for a reason and generally it’s worth waiting a few extra minutes. You can get them stuffed with ice-cream or you can get a plain one coated in Nutella. Of course on my trip, I had both variations and I did prefer the Nutella one as although it was messier it was nice being warm still.

See the Astronomical Clock on the hour

One of the things Prague is most famed for is the Astronomical Clock which is the oldest working clock of its type in the world so it’s definitely worth seeing. Every hour hundreds of people surround the tower to watch it go off and while it isn’t incredible it is fascinating at how old the whole thing is. I’d suggest going pretty early if you can so you can avoid some of the queues, if not grab a coffee at one of the cafes looking out on it so you have a good spot.

Prague John Lennon Wall

Check out the artwork and messages on the John Lennon wall

The John Lennon wall is the only part of Prague where you can legally graffiti and add messages to the public wall and it was lovely reading all the positive messages of peace and love, especially in the world we live in today. To be honest, there’s no real connection to John Lennon as I don’t believe he ever visited, I think it’s more about his peace and loving persona which influenced this wall.  Again it’s another place which can get very busy as I saw people doing fashion photo shoots against the wall (softbox lights and all) so it’s worth going early, or later.

Walk across the Charles Bridge

I absolutely love bridges and areas which are pedestrian only (it’s what made me fall in love with Venice) so the fact that the Charles Bridge is car-less is really nice as it feels so tranquil and means you can wander around looking out on the views of the city without feeling like you’re in someone’s way. There are usually loads of arts and craft stalls across the bridge selling nice unique gifts so it’s definitely worth stopping to have a look as you cross.

Six things you have to do in Prague

1. February 27, 2018 / 6:59 pm

Theses all sound like some amazing things to go and see, I would definitely like to go and see the Bone Church and the clock sounds amazing.

2. February 27, 2018 / 7:13 pm

A friend of mine recently went to Prague and told me that if I were to find myself there that the Bone Church is the place to go! She found it very moving being there and couldn’t describe what it was like being there. Your post is making me want to take a trip out there.

3. February 27, 2018 / 8:33 pm

It sounds like there is so much to do! Those Trdelnik look absolutely delicious (I would have to try both varieties too lol!). I bet reading all those messages would be fascinating and really eye opening too.

4. February 27, 2018 / 10:33 pm

I’ve never been to Prague but it is on my list of places to visit. I am interested in the architecture and the classical music. I believe there is a classical music festival there that is world famous.

5. February 28, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Thanks for sharing. I visited Prague some years ago now and after reading your post I would definitely like to go again!

6. February 28, 2018 / 12:11 pm

Being such a big foodie, I know that the Trdelnik would be first on my bucket list – they are making me drool!

7. February 28, 2018 / 1:13 pm

what a stunning place to be visiting i wish i could travel there with my family so much to do and see

8. February 28, 2018 / 1:48 pm

So many great things to do in Prague. I would definitely try the sweet treat, not sure I would be able to pronounce it though!

9. February 28, 2018 / 6:26 pm

Prague looks like a beautiful city. I always like to visit cathedrals and St. Vitus Cathedrale looks impresssive

10. February 28, 2018 / 8:27 pm

We were in Prague in June last year and did all of these things – definitely recommend! We also did a boat tour and I really enjoyed it – a different way to see everything

11. February 28, 2018 / 8:48 pm

The bone church sounds a bit creepy, but I think I would like to visit as well.

12. February 28, 2018 / 10:42 pm

These are great things to do in Prague, will definitely visit the Cathedral and follow your other suggestions

13. March 1, 2018 / 8:28 am

My brother is a huge fan of Prague and has visited several times. You have mentioned some great ideas, I would love to see the astronomical clock

14. Dannii
    March 1, 2018 / 11:35 am

Those Trdelniks are amazing. We ate so many of them, but luckily we did lots of walking to burn them off. Prague is such an incredible place.

15. March 1, 2018 / 1:22 pm

I went back to Prague earlier this year to start my travel year and did all of these things but did more in Kutna Hora

16. March 1, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Prague is my number one favourite city in the whole world! I just adore it! Have you been to Vysehrad Cemetery before?So many influential people are buried there. You also must catch an Opera at the Estates Theatre, or if you can’t get tickets there is a cool marionette theatre by the Charles Bridge that reenacts Don Giovani. So cute!

Katie xoxo

17. Jem
    March 1, 2018 / 5:59 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Prague. It looks like a great city!

18. March 2, 2018 / 11:45 am

Oh I’m going to book mark this! I think Prague is next on our list of must visit places. H 🙂

19. March 2, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Great post, Prague is somewhere I’d love to visit. This post will be handy in the future for ideas of what to get up to.

20. March 4, 2018 / 6:27 pm

Prague is somewhere i’ve never been but always wanted to go to. Looks really lovely and i love the sound of the bones church.