Six Reasons Why A Good Mattress Is So Important

Six Reasons Why A Good Mattress Is So Important

Up until about eighteen months ago, I had always slept on a reasonably rubbish mattress because when I bought my first bed myself I didn’t want to spend more money than I needed to. I kept this mattress for about eight years and I found over the final year or so I’d get back and shoulder pain on occasion, especially if I slept on my side quite a lot which is something I regularly do. I was fed up in mid-2016 and bought a new mattress and suddenly I was sleeping well again.

Last year me and my boyfriend decided that we wanted to upgrade my double bed to a king size because although it’s only a few inches bigger it makes a huge amount of difference when you’re sleeping in the same bed as someone almost every night. Plus as Luke’s pretty tall the extra length on the bed would mean his feet wouldn’t always be right on the edge. After a lot of research into mattresses, beds and other items we settled on an Ottoman Bed from Wayfair and a mattress from Leesa*.

Leesa Mattress

Mattress wise I was really intrigued about the mattresses in a box which I keep seeing on adverts everywhere, they looked really practical for delivery which was a big issue for me. As both me and Luke work there’s rarely ever anyone at home and of course this needed signing for so as it was a much smaller box I was able to have it delivered to my parents so my dad could then drive it around which made a huge difference. I could tell Leesa was incredibly popular straight away as due to a mass of demand my mattress took some extra days to process arriving about 10 days after order.

I was incredibly lucky that Luke managed to build the whole bed and sort the mattress out while I was at work so it was done when I got home *hooray*. Mattress wise Luke commented on a slight smell from the underside of the mattress which I knew to expect from some other reviews I had read but 2 hours later when I got home from work I couldn’t smell anything. I wasn’t sure how long it would take for the mattress to inflate up but it seemed to be completely done when I got home from work so 2 hours should be plenty of time.

As my old mattress was actually a pretty good one but just the wrong size our new bed I passed it along to my brother who has a loft bedroom meaning he spends a lot of time relaxing in bed looking out of his sloped roof windows. I know the windows and blinds are something he’ll need to change soon so The Roof Window Store will be somewhere he’ll need to contact, but I digress.

Reasons why a good mattress is so important

1. You spend around a third of your day in your bed so why wouldn’t you get a good quality mattress to support you as you sleep, read your book or watch that box set you’ve been meaning to crack on with.
  2. Back-ache can cause so much pain and by getting a good mattress can help to prevent it especially one where you can sink into it as it will elevate shoulder and neck pain if you’re a side sleeper.
  3. Getting a good mattress can mean that it lasts longer which can save you money in the long run. Buying a cheap flimsy mattress may be cheaper to begin with but you may end up replacing it far more often.
  4. A good mattress means that you sleep better and we all know the importance of a good night’s sleep. If I’m tired it can make me both irritable but also less productive during the day.
  5. Progressing from the point above a good mattress can elevate stress and make you both calmer and happier. I know how much happier I feel after a good night’s sleep and having a more night can make me feel stressed.
  6. Having a good night’s sleep can actually help you lose weight as some studies have shown that people who are sleep deprived have a bigger appetite and tend to eat more calories. I know when I’ve had a bad nights sleep I just want a sugary fizzy drink and a full English breakfast which helps to prove the point.

If you’re looking to upgrade your mattress grab £80 off by using my link and code here.

How do you feel after a good night’s sleep?

Six Reasons Why A Good Mattress Is So Important

*This post has been written in collaboration with The Roof Window Store but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. February 13, 2018 / 3:17 pm

I 1000000% agree with this! My mattress has been broken for a while (as has my bed but that’s another story) it’s honestly ridiculous how it effects me. A new one shall be arriving soon and I’m so excited!!

2. Joanna
    February 13, 2018 / 5:58 pm

I can’t even tell how much I agree with you! When I renovated my flat back home I went for the cheapest mattress I could get because I was planning to rent it. However, I did sleep a few months on it, before this happened. Then, when I moved to the UK, I bought an expensive but good mattress which I chose after I spent about 2 hours testing everything that was in the store. Pointless to say how much difference it is between the two and how now I never get a bad sleep.

3. February 13, 2018 / 7:19 pm

A good mattress is so important, when we got our new mattress I could not believe how bad our old one was, we are in the process of looking for one for my Daughter at the moment x

4. Bryanna Skye
    February 13, 2018 / 7:34 pm

wow the reason about losing weight was new to me! thanks for sharing — we just got a new mattress last year and it’s been so good for us!

5. February 13, 2018 / 8:08 pm

I am so with you on all of these I have noticed such a difference when I have a good mattress to when I have one that doesn’t really suit. I had no idea about the losing weight though!

6. February 13, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I have terrible issues with my back so I really need to make sure our mattress is as comfortable as possible! Sadly it’s not!

7. February 13, 2018 / 10:49 pm

I have not had a good nights sleep in a while as I have insomnia but I don’t think that my mattress helps either as the springs are breaking so its quite uncomfortable to sit and sleep on. I definitely need a new mattress, especially as I have back and joint issues.

8. February 14, 2018 / 6:50 am

I love spring beds but my back doesn’t! Recently switched to a foam and it’s so much comfier… even if it did take a while to get used to!

9. February 14, 2018 / 8:23 am

Couldn’t agree more on this. Definitely a good mattress is heaven for me. Good sleep for me is one of the best gift that I can give to myself.

10. February 14, 2018 / 11:14 am

I couldn’t have agreed more with you. A good mattress is everything for me, especially since I work from home. Really enjoyed reading this

11. February 14, 2018 / 11:23 am

I could not agree more – a mattress is a sound investment and well worth it for a good nights sleep x

12. February 14, 2018 / 11:53 am

This is definitely something we need, it is something that has joined that never ending list of things that need to be done.

13. February 14, 2018 / 1:38 pm

A good mattress makes such a big difference in the quality of sleep, I have recently discovered too. Leesa sounds like a great brand!

14. February 14, 2018 / 1:39 pm

A good mattress is definitely a key component of a decent night’s sleep. Leesa sounds like a super brand!

15. Jen
    February 14, 2018 / 2:00 pm

You really appreciate a good mattress, especially if you’ve been sleeping on a rubbish one for months/years. I know when we got ours, it was heavenly. You don’t notice how much better you sleep, until you try it. Blissful. Enjoy.

16. February 15, 2018 / 6:33 am

When you think about how much time in your life you spend lying down on a mattress, it suddenly makes sense why a good mattress is so expensive!

17. Bethany
    February 15, 2018 / 2:32 pm

Need to show this to my parents, there mattress is 20 years old time for change I think.

18. February 15, 2018 / 4:47 pm

I know I need a good mattress now after. I have had my mattress for 10 years now, I need a new one badly

19. Sarah Ann
    February 15, 2018 / 8:54 pm

I really need a new mattress and it’s something I’ve put off for a long time because to be honest, I’d rather spend my money on other things. You’re right though, it’s essential and has so many benefits, especially when you do think about how much time we spend in our beds. I really need to stop putting it off…

20. Jem
    February 19, 2018 / 6:46 am

Yes, you definitely need a good mattress to sleep on – makes the world of difference.

21. February 19, 2018 / 9:42 pm

I have just upgraded my mattress too and I can really tell the difference. Don’t get back ache much anymore!