Six Reasons Why I Love Having A Balcony

Six Reasons Why I Love Having A Balcony

I live in a second floor flat which comes with both positives and negatives, the later namely being when the lift breaks down and I have my weekly shop to carry up to my flat. One thing which I really love about my flat is my balcony space as it’s such a nice relaxing area and it’s the closest that I’m going to get to a garden space until I get a house of my own.

When I first moved in I did have a few worries about the safety of a balcony, especially as it can get quite windy around where my flats are but thankfully my balcony is very strong and safe which puts my mind at ease. Thankfully I have a very secure Balustrade System in place like these one’s from Barrier Components which means it isn’t permenantly open with sliding windows surrounding my space. I’d definitely consider having a balcony in a future home especially if I had a back facing bedroom and a pretty garden to look over, although I don’t know how the neighbours would feel about it.

If you’ve seen my post about my balcony transformation you’ll know that I put down fake grass on the flooring to give it a much softer finish so I can walk out there with no shoes on and it isn’t cold and hard like the wood which is underneath. It also makes it feel more like an outside space, especially as I have a Rattan Garden Sofa out there; I can dream.

balcony

Reasons I love my balcony

1. It gives me a feeling of outdoors while I’m still inside so even when it’s cold I can go out on my balcony and feel the grass on my feet and the sun on my face without having to embrace the sometimes sub-arctic temptatures outside.
  2. I can have a BBQ without having to be outside. Thankfully I have fully opening windows which means my balcony can be very open when I want it to be so all I need to do is shut the door to the flat so no smoke goes inside and enjoy a lovely BBQ.
  3. It’s such a nice space to spend time sitting and reading. When I’m sat on the sofa or laying in bed there’s always the temptation to put on the TV but otuside on the balcony it’s nice and peaceful and the perfect space to read a book.
  4. It’sa another entertaining space that I can use without having to spend all of the time in my living room/ kitchen and when I have friends over it’s a nice space to just relax and catch up.
  5. I can buy awesome garden items and have somewhere to put them. I’m not the biggest fan of garden ornaments but when I spotted Norman the Gnome in Next I knew I had to have him and thankfully with my balcony I have somewhere to put him.
  6. It’s the perfect space to eat breakfast in during the summer. To be honest it can get warm on my balcony all around the year due to the glass surrounding it but when the sun is shining in the summer it’s such a nice space to grab breakfast on.
Do you have or would you consider a balcony?
*This post has been written in collaboration with Barrier Components but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. February 10, 2018 / 12:46 pm

I love having a balcony as well. In our last place we were in an old house that been converted into flats and in the summer we would basically bake and feel quite ill – due to the place being so hot. Now we have a balcony we can get some fresh air and have that feeling like we have our own garden (especially as we got fake grass on there).
    Oh, I was taking some outfit picture and someone (a young girl) shouted out – ‘look their’s Zoella’. No, it was just me. lol, I had a good laugh about it.

2. February 10, 2018 / 7:30 pm

What a lovely balcony, I think the idea to have fake grass is genius. It must be really lush out there in the summer, sitting down and enjoying the view and weather.

3. February 11, 2018 / 7:31 am

I would definitely love a balcony. And I really like the fact that you have found a way to make yours safer.

4. February 11, 2018 / 8:56 am

What a fun balcony’. I’ve never seen covered ones like this. Great idea to get some fresh air whatever the weather.

5. February 11, 2018 / 12:49 pm

When we lived in Asia we had a balcony and absolutely loved it! There is something to special about sitting out on a balcony and chilling.

6. February 11, 2018 / 4:57 pm

What a lovely space! We have a balcony but it’s tiny – you can just about fit two people stood up on it, so no room for lovely seating etc!

7. February 11, 2018 / 6:09 pm

I think a balcony is such a nice alternative to a garden if you live in a flat. It is a nice way to have some outdoor space that is also private

8. February 11, 2018 / 6:34 pm

What a lovely outdoor spot and such a good idea to have the reinforced glass for safety. I’ve never had a balcony but my first flat was on the 3rd floor and I definitely could have done with one!

9. February 12, 2018 / 5:52 am

Oh your balcony looks amazing. Such a lovely outdoor space. I wish we had a balcony!

10. February 12, 2018 / 8:28 am

Your balcony looks great, I like the fact that you can use it both in winter and summer. `i miss not having a balcony so much :(( especially in the summer x

11. February 12, 2018 / 9:49 pm

I would love to have a balcony. I’d make it into a little haven to read/work and relax. Love the Idea of the artificial grass x

12. February 13, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Oh I would love to have a balcony yours looks so pretty!

13. February 13, 2018 / 8:18 pm

I would have loved having a balcony when we lived in a flat. I’m loving Norman The Gnome!

14. February 14, 2018 / 8:24 am

It sounds so luxurious to have a balcony. I would have breakfast out there and bbqs all the time. Haha I love your Gnome and I also love how you’ve decorated it with grass. Genius! x

15. February 16, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I really love the idea of the grass. I would have never thought that you could have a BBQ as it loos so enclosed but its great that you can. x

16. February 16, 2018 / 2:13 pm

I’d definitely consider a balcony. My parents used to have one off their bedroom in one of our childhood homes. It was lovely but given the fact we lived next to a graveyard it didn’t give off the best views – complete sun trap though.

17. February 17, 2018 / 7:35 am

I would absolutely love to have a balcony! I love what you’ve done with yours – a perfect little escape from the hustle and bustle. 🙂

18. February 18, 2018 / 10:05 am

I have always wanted a balcony, there is something really appealing about them. I can imagine sitting out there with a book and some twinkling fairy lights. Norman is cute!!

19. February 19, 2018 / 10:12 pm

I really miss having a balcony! It was such a treat to have one in Berlin, where it’s quite the norm, but in Edinburgh they are very rare.

20. February 20, 2018 / 6:17 pm

How I wish I had a balcony, I am on top floor and unfortunately no balcony my way. I do love the fake grass it looks lovely