I live in a second floor flat which comes with both positives and negatives, the later namely being when the lift breaks down and I have my weekly shop to carry up to my flat. One thing which I really love about my flat is my balcony space as it’s such a nice relaxing area and it’s the closest that I’m going to get to a garden space until I get a house of my own.
When I first moved in I did have a few worries about the safety of a balcony, especially as it can get quite windy around where my flats are but thankfully my balcony is very strong and safe which puts my mind at ease. Thankfully I have a very secure Balustrade System in place like these one’s from Barrier Components which means it isn’t permenantly open with sliding windows surrounding my space. I’d definitely consider having a balcony in a future home especially if I had a back facing bedroom and a pretty garden to look over, although I don’t know how the neighbours would feel about it.
If you’ve seen my post about my balcony transformation you’ll know that I put down fake grass on the flooring to give it a much softer finish so I can walk out there with no shoes on and it isn’t cold and hard like the wood which is underneath. It also makes it feel more like an outside space, especially as I have a Rattan Garden Sofa out there; I can dream.
Reasons I love my balcony
- It gives me a feeling of outdoors while I’m still inside so even when it’s cold I can go out on my balcony and feel the grass on my feet and the sun on my face without having to embrace the sometimes sub-arctic temptatures outside.
- I can have a BBQ without having to be outside. Thankfully I have fully opening windows which means my balcony can be very open when I want it to be so all I need to do is shut the door to the flat so no smoke goes inside and enjoy a lovely BBQ.
- It’s such a nice space to spend time sitting and reading. When I’m sat on the sofa or laying in bed there’s always the temptation to put on the TV but otuside on the balcony it’s nice and peaceful and the perfect space to read a book.
- It’sa another entertaining space that I can use without having to spend all of the time in my living room/ kitchen and when I have friends over it’s a nice space to just relax and catch up.
- I can buy awesome garden items and have somewhere to put them. I’m not the biggest fan of garden ornaments but when I spotted Norman the Gnome in Next I knew I had to have him and thankfully with my balcony I have somewhere to put him.
- It’s the perfect space to eat breakfast in during the summer. To be honest it can get warm on my balcony all around the year due to the glass surrounding it but when the sun is shining in the summer it’s such a nice space to grab breakfast on.