Four Reasons I Want To Go Back To Belfast

Four Reasons I Want To Go Back To Belfast

Last May bank holiday me and Luke headed to Belfast for a long weekend city break and we had a great time exploring the city and staying in one of our favourite hotels, The Malmaison.

We managed to do quite a bit during our few days including one of the Game of Thrones tours, a hop on hop off bus tour and the Titanic Experience but there’s still so much more I’d love to do in the city so here’s four reasons why I want to go back to the city.

To do the other Game of Thrones tour

There’s two distinct tours, one which covers Winterfell locations and one which covers the Iron Islands. We plumped to do the former on our trip but I’d love to do the other tour and see the other locations used in Belfast. The Iron Islands tour would visit the Cushendum Caves where Melisandre gave birth to the dark spirit, the Dark Hedges, the Iron Islanda beach where Theon dedicated his faith to the ‘Drowned God’ and Renly’s camp in the Stormlands among other things.

I had such a good time on the previous tour and a lot of the guides have been extras within the show so they have so much interesting information to impart.

Visit Giants Causeway

Thankfully Giants Causeway is included within the other Game of Thrones tour so I could do both in one day but the UNESCO site looks absolutely amazing in photos. The Giants Causeway is an area with about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns which were the result of a very old volcanic eruption and it’s something I’d love to experience for myself.

crumlin road goalPhoto taken by Ellen of Elfeelsgoodvintage

Explore Crumlin Road Gaol

This was something I really wanted to do last year but we just didn’t have time, this is an old prison which closed in 1996 but dates back to 1845, and now you can take a guided tour around to learn the history and why the decision was made to close the prison. As well as seeing the prison you can visit the underground tunnel which connected the gaol to the Crumlin Road Courthouse meaning those in prison had no means for escape. I don’t visit a huge amount of historical places but this is definitely something which peaked my interest as I’m a fan of the bloodier/ gorier side of history.

Visit City Hall

I am a huge fan of beautiful buildings and the Belfast City Hall is just that, the outside looks absolutely stunning. I barely even caught a glimpse of it during my last trip so I’d love to go into the entry hall and pick up a walking guided tour (especially as they’re free).

Have you ever been to Belfast?

Four Reasons I Want To Go Back To Belfast

1. March 27, 2018 / 7:09 pm

We have never been to Ireland and have often talked about visiting, especially as my husbands family originally came from there, Belfast is one of the places we have on our list of where we want to visit. It looks like such an amazing place

2. March 27, 2018 / 9:26 pm

I have never been to Ireland and it is somewhere I would really love to go one day. These sound like some amazing ideas for reasons to go to Belfast. I would love to go to Giants Causeway myself.

3. March 28, 2018 / 3:51 am

I am yet to visit but my mum went last year and she loved it so we are planning to visit together sometime this year.

4. March 28, 2018 / 6:17 am

Oh man you’ve made me want to go back to Belfast and I’ve never been before you made it sound so beautiful, now I’m like poop, need to get some money together and make a trip out of it.

5. March 28, 2018 / 1:16 pm

Belfast sounds like a great place to visit and your list here of places to visit is making me want to book a plane ticket there right now.

6. Danielle
    March 28, 2018 / 4:21 pm

I have never been to Belfast, but I have seen a few people post about it recently and it seems like the foodie scene there is really good.

7. March 28, 2018 / 7:30 pm

I have to admit that Belfast had never struck me as a place I would want to visit but after this post, I feel like there’s more to it than I realised. Especially, the Game of Thrones tour. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it before as it’s definitely something I’d enjoy.

8. March 28, 2018 / 10:12 pm

My Grandma lives in Belfast, so we visit regularly and love it. Belfast City is so vibrant and has some great restaurants and bars, as well as funky hotels and wicked shops x

9. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    March 29, 2018 / 8:38 am

My dad visited Belfast last year and he really enjoys the beautiful scenery and place there. and I am planning to visit that place, I just waiting for my sons to grow up.

10. March 29, 2018 / 10:37 am

I have never been to Ireland, but I have always wanted to go. I’ve wanted to go to Giants Causeway for ages too x

11. March 29, 2018 / 7:19 pm

I’ve never but my fiancé wants to take me to Ireland as he is half Irish, it looks like a lovely place too. I would love the prison place totally something I would have to do x

12. March 30, 2018 / 8:35 pm

I have Belfast on my list and hoping to visit with my parents some time this year.

13. March 30, 2018 / 8:37 pm

I haven’t been to Ireland before but would love to visit. My partner has distant family there too so it would be good to meet them

14. March 31, 2018 / 7:08 am

Our wee country has so much beauty and tourist delights to offer. Everyone should visit N.I! But, I guess being from here I’m being biased!

15. April 1, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Belfast is definitely on my bucket list, visiting the Giants Causeway is an absolute most! I didn’t realise there were Game Of Thrones tours, I would absolutely love that! Sim x

16. April 1, 2018 / 6:56 pm

I’ve never been to Ireland and always keep saying I must go. I love Game if Thrones and would love to do the yours. I’ll definitely have to add Ireland and Belfast to my travel wish list.

17. April 2, 2018 / 8:17 am

This sounds amazing – I’d love to do any of those tours as the scenery is spectacular. Belfast would be a great city to visit.

18. April 2, 2018 / 8:27 am

I love Belfast, last time I was there though I was a child – there was no Game of Thrones I would love to go back with my boys but I fear it’s a bit of a hike for my eldest , we live in Galway , not sure he would handle the car ride to Belfast. But sure who knows ,perhaps I will risk it .
    Fan pictures !

19. April 2, 2018 / 11:13 am

I would LOVE to go to Belfast, Giants causeway is somewhere I have always wanted to go and see. I need to watch Game of thrones first though!

20. April 2, 2018 / 7:57 pm

I’ve never been to Belfast but would love to go. Several of my friends have been recently and have raved about it 🙂

21. April 2, 2018 / 8:08 pm

I have to confess I haven’t been to Belfast, but it’s on my list.I would love to see Giant’s Causeway and I think my OH would like the GOT tours

22. April 2, 2018 / 8:23 pm

I have actually never been but it looks like there is some cool stuff to do and see!

23. April 2, 2018 / 9:47 pm

I have never been to Ireland but I would love to go. I’m a huge game of thrones fan so would love to do those tours and see the places those scenes were filmed xx

24. April 3, 2018 / 12:53 pm

We have never been to Belfast, but often talk about how amazing it would be to see the Giants Causeway. I’ve yet to really get into Game of Thrones, but nows a good time to start 😉

25. April 3, 2018 / 11:15 pm

Good plans, I want to see the Giants Causeway too. You should definitely go back.

26. April 7, 2018 / 8:12 pm

I have always wanted to go to the Giant’s Causeway! Its on our list for when the boys are slightly older. My Hubby is a bit of a fan of the Game of the Thrones so he would be really happy too! x

27. April 10, 2018 / 6:58 am

I’ve never been to Ireland but it is on the list of places I want to visit! Giants Causeway looks amazing! My brother has been and said it is incredible x