After moving around some furniture in my bedroom last month I realized that I actually had a bit more space than I thought so the idea to get a set of Alex drawers spawned in my mind. In the 5 or so years I’ve been living in my flat my makeup has lived in my en-suite bathroom in a range of states of storage and this worked for me for a long time but it isn’t right for me now. Firstly I live with a boy and it’s not fair on him to have to battle through all my products and makeup every single time he wants to go into the en-suite, but also despite all the cool storage it still doesn’t look nice.
I have the smaller 5 drawer Alex units on either side of my desk and I love them both for their depth/ how much you can fit in them but also for their look, but sadly there’s less choice of colours with the 9 drawer versions, in fact just the one glossy white which you see in so many blogger/ vloggers makeup collections. The white glossy look just isn’t really me and doesn’t really fit with the look of my room so I thought about how best to customize them and after some searching around online I decided to paint it and add new handles to drawers.
Firstly the easy bit which was the handles. The alex drawers have cut outs at the top so you can open them but as the accents of my bedroom are gold I decided to order some drawer knobs to make the unit stand out. I ended up buying a few different varieties from Not On The High Street which I absolutely love. I bought six of one style and three of another to alternate between them in stand out colours and I love the affect that it creates on the unit.
Next up was the colouring although obviously I did this before drilling in holes for the handles. I decided that I was going to paint the unit completely on both sides and then have a striped affect on the front which I lined out in Frog Tape. Frog Tape is great as there’s very minimal bleeds you’ll see with the paint lines and it all comes out very crisp. I bought a basic grey emulsion tester point to try out at the beginning but even when dry you could just scrap it off and when we tried a paint sealer over the top this just peeled it all off so we needed another idea.
We then chose an eggshell paint which has the benefit of being good for use on woodwork as well as the standard places you’d use emulsion as it’s harder wearing than standard paint. I bought a medium can of Farrow and Ball paint and despite doing three coats over the sides, top and front I only used half of the can which I was really impressed with. The first coat naturally came out quite streaky with paint lines but the second evened this out a lot. I did a third coat completely on the top and front as they’re going to be the bits on show the most and then I did a third layer on the areas of both sides where it appeared most streaky.
I still have a tiny bit of neatening up to do on the tops of the drawers and a tiny bit on the lines but overall I am so happy with how my unit looks now and it fits so much better with my space. Keep your eyes peeled for a post where I talk about the storage I use inside my unit to keep my makeup in.