Fine Dining In Edinburgh At The Stockbridge Restaurant

Fine Dining In Edinburgh At The Stockbridge Restaurant

I’m not someone who does a lot of fine dining so I never know what to expect when I go to nice restaurants. Stockbridge is located a little outside the main hustle and bustle of Edinburgh which I loved as it was more of a relaxed vibe and it didn’t feel loud and crowded. We went over bank holiday weekend which meant a lot of restaurants and bars in the city were a bit too much to deal with so this was a pleasant contrast.

Descending the steps to the restaurant I was a little surprised at how small the restaurant was but it was the perfect size meaning that it had that cozy feeling and it didn’t get too loud and noisy even when full, the atmosphere was lovely.

stockbridge restaurant - gin

After being shown to our seats we delved straight into the drinks menu which meant a beeline for the gin selection. Alongside the gin selection there was a description of each one and what it was garnished with which was such a godsend as sometimes it can be tough just going on the name as to the type of gin it is, especially as I’m not a huge fan of dry gins. I ordered a fruity pink gin with grapefruit and Luke went for a sharper one with lime and both went down well. One of the great things about Stockbridge is that on a Sunday you’re able to bring your own wine and just pay corkage which makes an evening out a bit more affordable.

stockbridge restaurant - mushroom soup starter

When browsing the menu one thing which I saw and loved was the fact that it showcased some of the restaurants suppliers and what they’re used for. For example their organic meat suppliers and what they provide, things like this really show how proud a restaurant is of it’s food and where it’s come from and something you don’t see very often. On Sunday evenings there’s a really affordable set menu which is just £27.95 for 2 courses or £33.95 for 3 courses which is such great value.

stockbridge restaurant - venison terrine starter

For starters Luke opted for the mushroom soup which was creamy and full of strong flavours and I had the Venison terrine wrapped in bacon with pickle vegetables and sauce which isn’t something I’d usually go for but it was a great change to the norm. The terrine wasn’t too heavy and it was packed full of flavour.

stockbridge restaurant - rump steak main

For main Luke had the Aberdeen Angus rump steak with sauteed potatoes, wild mushrooms and jus and the steak itself was cooked to perfection so safe to say it didn’t last long on his plate. I was tempted by the steak because I am a huge fan but again I decided to opt for something a little different and went for the duck breast with confit leg and fondant potato, savoy cabbage, wild mushrooms and jus and it was absolutely amazing.

Duck is a dish I rarely order as I usually opt for chicken or beef but it was so succulent and cooked perfectly that I’ll definitely be choosing it again when I’m out. The potato was really soft and fluffy inside and crispy on the outside which for me is perfection.  It even came with a mini sausage roll which had pastry which was so perfect I even gave up half just to let Luke experience how amazing it was.

stockbridge restaurant - duck main course

We decided to opt for a dessert cocktail to begin with as there was a chocolate mint gin on offer and while it probably isn’t something I’d opt for again it was a really nice alternative. For our actual desserts we both went for the chocolate brulee with chocolate brownie, white chocolate mousse and milk chocolate ice cream and no prizes for guessing that it was 10/10 incredible. I’ve never had chocolate brulee but it was creamy but not too rich and everything was the perfect size to not leave me feeling stuffed afterwards.

stockbridge restaurant - chocolate dessert

Alongside the amazing food the service was exactly what I’d want from any restaurant. The staff were attentive and accommodating without being smothering and intrusive, a fine balance which so often isn’t met.

Fine Dining In Edinburgh At The Stockbridge Restaurant

*We were invited along as guests and given a complimentary meal to review but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. May 23, 2018 / 4:02 pm

It sounds like you had such a great experience. I normally opt for chicken or steak but the duck looks absolutely amazing, and that dessert looks to die for x

2. May 24, 2018 / 6:57 am

Looks like you had a great experience ! We will certainly check this out when we drop by Edinburgh 🙂

3. May 24, 2018 / 8:18 am

The food looks amazing. We visited Edinburgh with the kids so sadly missed out on some fine dining

4. May 24, 2018 / 12:15 pm

I am a foodie, so I would definitely give this a try. looks like you had a wonderful experience in trying various of the cuisines. Those pictures of the food look so delicious

5. May 24, 2018 / 12:53 pm

It sounds like you enjoyed it. That food looks amazing especially that desert

6. Ann Snook-Moreau
    May 24, 2018 / 7:56 pm

Those desserts look amazing! And I am totally with you on the gin. I just tried pink gin for the first time in the fall and loved it!

7. May 24, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I think the atmosphere makes a huge difference at a restaurant like this, and of course quality ingredients. It sounds like you had a great time and the presentation is on point!

8. May 24, 2018 / 11:09 pm

What a beautiful place to visit and dine at. All the food looks so delicious , I am sure you must have enjoyed it tremendously.

9. May 25, 2018 / 8:02 am

This looks delicious. I go to Edinburgh all the time so I’ll be checking this place out.

Katie xoxo

10. May 25, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Dessert – chocolate!!!!!! I think I’d go fir a couple of servings of just the dessert! Admittedly finding places with attentive staff who aren’t on their phones is getting more difficult so it’s nice to hear about s restaurant getting it right.

11. Helen
    May 25, 2018 / 6:21 pm

I absolutely love it when restaurants showcase their supplies – it’s something I look out for when thinking about visiting somewhere, so it’s fantastic to hear they do 🙂

12. May 25, 2018 / 6:40 pm

It does look so amazing there. All of the food is incredible. I would love to try out the duck. And it’s so cool they allow you to bring wine making the evening more affordable.

13. May 25, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Food looks really good especially the mains and I love that you can take your own wine. I have never heard of chocolate mint gin but like you I’d give it a go. Great review 🙂

14. May 26, 2018 / 2:23 pm

The food looks amazing – especially that duck dish! I love it when menus explain where their produce is from – it’s good to see them using local suppliers.

15. May 26, 2018 / 2:56 pm

Those meals look amazing, especially the duck dish! Always fantastic to see restaurants using local suppliers to.

16. May 26, 2018 / 3:53 pm

Beautifully plated food. Love visiting Edinburgh will have to add Stockbridge onto the list for a meal out on our next visit.

17. May 26, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful meal. I love duck so I probably would have chosen that a# well.

18. May 26, 2018 / 11:19 pm

Wow, what a meal. I’m not sure about the sound of the mint gin though! Certainly somewhere to look up when in Edinburgh.

19. May 27, 2018 / 1:39 am

It definitely looks like you got some amazing food there. I would love all of this. That’s so cool that you can pay your own corkage fees on Sunday though. It does make dining out more affordable.

20. May 27, 2018 / 3:14 am

Oh wow the food looks delectable. I just love Scotland it’s absolutely gorgeous place and the food is definitely yummy. Makes me want to go back soon!

21. May 27, 2018 / 5:13 am

Oh my…what a lovely meal! Love that duck dish! Slurpp…am drooling haha I also like that they are promoting their local suppliers. Gives some warmth to the restaurant. 🙂

22. May 27, 2018 / 12:58 pm

The food looks delicious and so well presented. I’ve only been to Edinburgh once years ago and would love to return at some point.

23. May 27, 2018 / 2:14 pm

Oh my, this looks like such a lovely meal. I’ve only been to Edinburgh for a tiny bit, but would love to come back and will add this restaurant to my list of places to go to! It looks so yum!

Love,
    K

24. May 28, 2018 / 9:10 am

Oh my gosh, is happily gobble all of these tasty dishes. Next time I visit Edinburgh I am defo stopping off here.

25. May 28, 2018 / 8:04 pm

Wow it certainly looks like your had an amazing time with great food. I must add this to my forever growing list of places to visit.

26. May 28, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I’m not usually one for fine dining but I have to admit this does look delicious. And the portion sizes actually look decent for once, normally fine dining restaurants give you the tiniest portions! x

27. May 29, 2018 / 9:45 am

That food looks amazing. It is so beautifully presented but not small amounts like you often get in fancy restaurants!