My Updated Evening Skincare Routine

My Updated Evening Skincare Routine

As I’ve said quite a few times already over the past few months I’ve really been trying to up my skincare game as I’m around 20 month’s away from turning the big 30. Up to the beginning of this year I was pretty lax with my skincare and although I did take my make up off with micellar water and moisturised this was about the extent of my ‘routine’. For the past few months I have been trying to get into better habits and see what difference it makes on my skin long term.

One of the things which has really helped me take better care of my skin is having better lighting in my bedroom by my mirror. I have a long strip of flexible lighting attached along the lip of my mirror and I find it makes such a huge difference in seeing my skin.

I always still use a micellar water as I find that cleansers don’t take off enough of my eye makeup so I do this as a separate step. I’ve always loved the Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water as it’s really affordable, but I’ve also been loving the Bioderma Hydrabio H2O* water as well as it’s really soothing on my skin.

Next up is cleansing which is something I NEVER did before this year and seeing how much stuff comes off my skin when I cleanse it’s a little worrying. When I have the time I try to use the Pixi/ Caroline Hirons Double Cleanse as I do find using both a solid and cream cleanser does leave my skin feeling really clean but when I’m in a bit more of a rush – or I’m travelling and don’t have the room for the Pixi one – I use the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm which works in much the same way as the solid Pixi cleanser.

After cleansing I like to tone and I flit generally between two toners depending on how my skin feels. If it’s feeling like it doesn’t need anything too intense or it’s quite red and sensitive I love using the Lush Breath Of Fresh Air spray as I find it’s really calming on my skin and it’s great if I’m in a rush and can just spray it directly onto my skin. When I want something a little extra I love using the Pixi Glow Tonic as I find my skin is really radiant afterwards and gives it that extra glow.

Pixi and Origins

Next up it’s oil time which is again another step I never did anything with as I always thought they’d be too oily for my skin but I’ve been provided quite wrong. I have been loving using the Complexion Cocktail* from Time Bomb as it provides all the right oils for my skin including Chia Oil which is rich in Omega 3 and also the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Serum which feels great on my skin but is pretty pricey so I don’t tend to use this every single day.

The final step in my skincare routine is moisturiser and I love using a thicker creamier moisturiser in the morning compared to a more gel like consistency in the mornings. The Marks and Spencer Absolute Ultimate Sleep Cream is one of my favourites as it’s not too thick and sinks into my skin so quickly, but if I’m going for more of a sleep mask I tend to always sway back to the Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight mask because not only does it keep my skin hydrated and bouncy all night long but the scent is incredible.

Face Masks

Alongside my skin moisturiser I do try and use a eye cream as often as I can to keep the delicate skin under there even more nourished and with this I flit between the Benefit It’s Potent Eye Cream which is a complete staple and the Clinique Pep Start Eye Cream as it’s super creamy but soft and delicate on the area.

What are your evening skincare must haves?

My Updated Evening Skincare Routine

*This post was written in collaboration with Lights but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. May 11, 2018 / 8:11 am

I swear by the Nivea eye makeup remover, it’s half clean half blue, the name escapes me. I wear LOADS of black eyeliner and mascara and this is the best remover I’ve tried. Highly recommended.

Other than that I treat my skin terribly. I really need a routine, you’ve inspired me!

Katie xoxo

2. May 11, 2018 / 8:14 am

I’ve not tried any of the Pixi products I’ve read a lot about them. I’ll have to try them out. I love Lush products, my favourite is the cleanser Ultrabland, I use it as a make-up remover as it takes off everything without being irritating. Really insightful post, I enjoyed reading 🙂
    Menna x
    mennarachel.com

3. May 11, 2018 / 10:17 am

Im not a fan of micellar water as it just covers me in spots aha, I do want to try the glam glow though! At the moment my skin care routine is terrible.. I need to start stepping away from baby wipes! ahah

4. May 12, 2018 / 12:06 am

Great regimen! I can see myself trying this for sure, so this is right on time!

5. May 12, 2018 / 3:14 am

I have got to add a cleanser to my skin care routine. Thanks for sharing!

6. t
    May 12, 2018 / 5:04 am

Good tips. Fortunately, I have good skin and don’t need to focus on many products other than moisturizer at this point. However, I know I’ll need to pay more attention to it eventually!

7. May 12, 2018 / 10:59 am

I love Origins and have used their stuff before – I really need to update my evening skincare routine especially as e change seasons now and it’s starting to get warmer as that always affects my skin

Laura x

8. Elizabeth O
    May 12, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I am a fan of the garnier micellar water it is so kind to skin. I really like the look of the Origins products too I will check those out.

9. May 12, 2018 / 6:19 pm

I love micellar water – it is so gentle on skin but really effective. The Bioderma sounds like it is worth a try 🙂

10. May 12, 2018 / 8:18 pm

I love that you have started following a skin care regime, can’t believe you have not cleaned the skin before this year Rhian. I don’t do much skincare but just the basic cleaning, toning and moisturising Love the products you have features esp Clinique items.

11. May 13, 2018 / 1:01 am

I love micellar water to take off my makeup. It is so much gentler on my skin compared to a lot of other makeup removers.

12. May 13, 2018 / 7:37 pm

I have fallen in love with murad, their products are lovely! I need to add some cleanser to my facial routine. I love pixi their products are lush! X

13. May 13, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I really need to get into a routine but I just can’t seem to do it. I’ve got all these products I never use!

14. May 14, 2018 / 10:20 am

I usually use rose water to cleanse my skin never tried garnier one . I would give it a try too just to see which works best . Thanks !

15. May 14, 2018 / 11:54 am

I have not tried any of the products you mentioned here, but might have to give them a go! My current nighttime skincare routine consists of just dessert essence face wash. It has tea tree oil in it, and has been the only thing that has kept my skin clear of blemishes. In fact it’s so effective that I was able to quit my oral acne medication 🙂

16. May 14, 2018 / 1:00 pm

I really need to invest more time in looking after my skin. My skincare routine is virtually non existent!

17. May 14, 2018 / 11:40 pm

This is a great night time routine. I’v yet to to try the micellar product, will try it soon. Great post!

18. May 15, 2018 / 12:08 am

I really love Origins, I have tried some of their products and I have no complains here! I always have a hard time sticking to a beauty routine, always have since I was very young. I am 32 now and definitely doing better, but it is something that I struggle to keep up. I just try to keep my routine simple, face wash, toner and night time cream or oil. That is about all I can handle before bed haha. Thank you for sharing!