My Passion For Reading in February

My Passion For Reading in February

January was a great month for reading for me and I really didn’t want to slip down in February but it did drop a little bit. Fortunately with my trip at the beginning of the month and a few trips into London I did have some solid reading time which meant that I finished 4 books. This brings me even closer to my yearly target.

‘Edith Bowman’s Great British Music Festivals’ was the first book that I read this month. I want to start reading the odd book which isn’t fiction, something biographical or non-fiction related and a book talking about music festivals seemed right up my street. The book talks about a lot of UK festivals from Glastonbury and Reading/ Leeds to Green Man and Bestival through to Wireless and Creamfields. The book is a great insight into the history of the festivals, the type of people who go, the music which occurs at the festivals and then some about Edith’s personal feelings towards the festival. Although I’ve been to a bunch of the ones she mentions there were still some I haven’t managed to catch and reading it has got me super excited about this summer.

The next book I read was one which has been on my to-read list for absolute ages, ‘Me Before You’ by JoJo Moyles. This is the story about a guy called Will who is involved in a car accident leaving him permanently disabled, and a girl called Louisa Clark who loses her job at the local cafe. Louisa is hired for six months as help for Will, the time-span is a big part as Will wants to end his life in a clinic in Switzerland and essentially Louisa is there to stop him doing it earlier and to try and change his mind. I don’t want to ruin the story for you so I won’t explain what happens but this is such a beautiful book that I would recommend that everyone out there gives it a read.

bookshelves

I needed a small book which could fit in my bag as I made the train journey into London for gigs so I chose Karl Pilkington’s ‘Happy slapped by a Jellyfish’ which is a series of entries with Karl talking about various holidays he has been on and various places he has visited. I think Karl is a genius and a very funny man anyway and this book did not disappoint as his humor flowed through both the diary entries and the rest of the content. It was a great book that I didn’t have to use too much brainpower for, and sometimes you just need that.

The final book which I read in February was ‘After You’ by JoJo Moyles which was the sequel to ‘Me Before You’. The book was a pretty long one and I did actually only finish this on 2nd March but it counts as February. The story follows Louisa forwards in her life in new relationships, new family connections and a whole load of drama. While this wasn’t quite as good as the first book (I was a sucker for Will and Louisa’s relationship) it was great to find out what happened next in her life. The book is then left in a fairly finite way but there’s definitely scope for another follow up, but I doubt this will happen.

What books have you been reading lately? Do you have any recommendations?

1. Erin MacNeil
    March 7, 2016 / 3:49 pm

A friend of mine was talking about me before you and I kept forgetting what it was called! I'm glad I found it again, it sounds really good. I'll definitely have to pick it up! The festivals book and Karl Pilkington's book both sound really interesting as well. I always enjoyed the Gervais/Pilkington shows when they were on TV 😉

The last book that I would recommend was Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chavalier. It is a fictional story behind the creation of the painting of the same name by Vermeer. It's pretty simple, but interesting! And it ends the way I wanted it to, which is all that counts sometimes, haha.

Erin

2. March 9, 2016 / 12:57 am

I really like the sound of Edith Bowman's Great British Music Festivals, and Karl Pilkington always cracks me up. I'm adding them to my ever growing "to-read" list 🙂

3. March 9, 2016 / 7:30 am

You have managed to read a wonderful and varied selection of books. I hope you keep that momentum going.

4. March 9, 2016 / 8:17 am

Love me before you! I can't wait to see the movie. I really didn't like after you. I don't think it was as good!

5. March 9, 2016 / 10:22 am

You have been getting a lot of reading done! My aim for this year was to read more, but I haven't been doing a great job of it so far.

6. March 9, 2016 / 12:20 pm

I really enjoyed Me before you, it's a great book! I want the Karl P one now, it sounds like a fun read!

7. March 9, 2016 / 4:55 pm

The latest book I've read was The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying The Japanese Art by Marie Kondo – wonderful book if you are planning to declutter

8. March 9, 2016 / 5:09 pm

I've had such a bad year for reading so far and yet I have a target of 60 books! :/ Looks like you're doing much better than I am! Feels so good when you finish a book, especially when it's a good book! I'm currently reading Glass Sword and I'm loving it!

9. March 9, 2016 / 5:32 pm

I love to read and having a paperback is always a good thing. i'm hoping to read a memoir this month while i'm in hospital.

Angela

10. March 9, 2016 / 8:48 pm

Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes is one of my favourite books ever, though I cried a lot x

11. March 9, 2016 / 8:55 pm

oh not heard of these ones and I have bookcases full of books and already have book in my hand

12. March 9, 2016 / 9:54 pm

I loved Me Before You but wasn't aware there was a sequel. I'm not really sure where else they can go with it but I'll have to definitely read it now! x

13. March 10, 2016 / 12:38 am

I so agree with you about a book that doesn't require a lot of thinking. I try to alternate my books with light ones like that.

14. March 10, 2016 / 5:54 am

These look like some great reads! I'm still working my way through the same book I got at Christmas….!

15. March 10, 2016 / 8:16 am

You have done quite a lot of reading. Well done.

16. March 10, 2016 / 10:08 am

yes yes yes for Jojo Moyes!!!! Me Before You is one of my all time favourites and I can't wait for the film 😀

17. March 10, 2016 / 12:32 pm

These all sound great. I really need to get back into reading, I haven't read a book in a few months now.

18. March 10, 2016 / 1:39 pm

Me before You sounds interesting. Will have to give that a try. I picked up a brilliant book the other day called As I See It. Not my normal thing but I loved it. Would love to hear your thoughts on that one.

19. March 10, 2016 / 2:25 pm

Me Before you Sounds Great! I don't get time to read. Though…
    I read a story called the Tiger who came for tea! Its great! Especially after the 100th time 😀 😉 haha

20. March 10, 2016 / 7:10 pm

Oooh these are all such great picks. I've had Edith Bowman's Great British Music Festivals and Me Before You on my 'to read' list for quite some time now. I need to get around to reading them!

♥ Fox & Feather

21. March 10, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Haha I love that title 'Happy slapped by a jelly fish' very funny. Me before you sounds really good

22. March 11, 2016 / 1:52 pm

I haven't read any of these books so thank you for the recommendations. Think I will give Happy slapped by a Jellyfish a read first as I think Karl is hilarious.

Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

23. March 11, 2016 / 4:10 pm

Hey a really great blog! Been reading alot recently. Been reading goldfish jones auto biography, not actually released yet but i got early access! Pretty interesting group of characters

24. March 11, 2016 / 6:57 pm

I need to get back into reading, I love reading but seem to forget to just pick up a book. I really love the sound of 'me before you' I will have to grab that to kick start my reading again, it sounds like my kind of book!

25. March 11, 2016 / 11:29 pm

Great selection of books! I love reading and shopping for new books

26. March 12, 2016 / 4:31 am

I've just ordered Me Before You and the one before as it been recommended by a couple of people. Really looking forward to reading them but I know won't have time to read them as quick as you. Always wishing for more reading time lol

27. March 12, 2016 / 9:56 am

I am pushing myself to read more this year so this is fun to read for me! I never knew about the Karl book I may have to put that on my to read list because he makes me laugh so much!

28. March 12, 2016 / 11:36 am

I've recently re read the divergent series and I am now reading the glass sword by Victoria aveyard 🙂 xx

29. Emily Rose Vass
    March 12, 2016 / 11:40 am

I loved Me before You but I'm not sure i could bring myself to read After You. i've just finished reading the Versions or Us which I really recommend. It's described as One day meets Sliding doors!

Great post as always
    Lots of love Em

30. Rachael Phillips
    March 12, 2016 / 12:40 pm

I'm just charging up my kindle as I'm going to get back in to having a little read each night. some good suggestions 😀

31. March 14, 2016 / 6:39 am

I want to read me before you, sounds like an interesting read. I promised myself that I would read more this year and so far touched 1 book and still haven’t finished it.

32. goldfish jones
    March 14, 2016 / 9:01 am

Seems like you read some interesting books, particularly the ones by JoJo not a massive Pilkington fan though so might give that one a miss

33. March 16, 2016 / 9:44 am

I’m really trying to read more! I will definitely check out some of these, thanks 🙂