Six Things You Need To Do During A Visit To Rome

Six Things You Need To Do During A Visit To Rome

A few month’s ago I spent four wonderful days in Rome which made me fall in love with the city all over again having been once back in 2010. The city is steeped in history and there are so many Roman ruins you can explore that you’d need weeks to do it all but Rome is absolutely perfect for a long weekend break to catch the best of the best.

For me, it’s the kind of city which now I have seen I don’t think I’d be rushing back to but that’s because I noticed this time more than before how touristy the city is and even heading further out it’s hard to find many places which feel truly authentic.

Here are six things you have to do during your visit to Rome:

Rome Big Bus Tour

Take in the sights from an open bus tour

Anyone who’s read my blog before would have guessed this would come up but I am a huge advocate of the Big Bus tours and take them whenever there is an option with my destination city. The Rome tour takes about 90 minutes and is a great overview to give you some bearings around the city but also to give you some great information about the city that you wouldn’t know from walking around on your own.

Look at the sky through the Pantheon

The Pantheon is one of those quick visit places where you can be in and out within 15 minutes but that doesn’t take away from how stunning it is. Stepping into the building it just made me think of the Da Vinci Code as the curved ceilings tower high above with an open top big enough to see the sky from. Depending on when you visit it’s an incredibly atmospheric and beautiful spot to see the sun rise or set in (although easier to do in the Winter months when this happens during trading hours).

trevi fountain

Make a wish at the Trevi Fountain

Yes, this is a so touristy but I always love to indulge in the tourist fads when I am away as well as discovering some off the beaten tracks things as well. You can’t go to Rome and not go to the Trevi Fountain, it’s like going to New York and not seeing Lady Liberty. You might struggle to actually get close to the fountain so first thing in the morning is a good tip, but throw in a coin and make a wish.

Grab some ice-cream from Giolitti

Not far from the Trevi Fountain is a fairly unassuming bakery/ café which is reportedly one of the oldest ice-cream parlours in Rome dating back to 1890 when Giuseppe and Bernardina Giolitti opened for business. Even today it’s still owned by the same family and there’s no surprise why it gets so busy as the choice of flavours on offer is incredible and the ice-cream itself was some of the best I’ve had.

Roman Forums

Visit the Colosseum

Perhaps the most iconic image of Rome is the Colosseum and it’s somewhere you have to visit. I would recommend booking your ticket in advance as you can avoid all the queues outside and ignore those offering to sell you tours as the audio guide is the only thing you need to part some extra euro’s on as it guides you around the Colosseum giving you insight into what it might have been like during the Roman times.

The Colosseum itself dates back to 70AD and with a construction of this epic proportions, it’s incredible to see so much of it still standing despite everything the world has been through since. In terms of places to visit in Rome, it doesn’t get more impressive than this.

Explore the Roman Forums

When you get a ticket for the Colosseum you can access the Roman Forums for free and it’s an area well worth exploring as there’s loads of Roman ruins inside and stunning architecture of important governments buildings which surround the ancient plaza. It really made me think about the size and complexity of the city and how it would have functioned back in the Roman times.

You can head to Rome from a number of airports in the UK such as Ryanair departing from Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stanstead. British Airways departing from London Heathrow, London Gatwick, Aberdeen, Manchester, Newcastle, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Jersey and Leeds Bradford.

There's a lot of exciting things you can do in Rome but if you're heading to the Roman city here are six things you have to do during your stay

This post was written in collaboration with Holiday Gems but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. January 19, 2018 / 12:37 pm

Rome looks so beautiful and it is one of the many places I want to visit! Lovely photos in this post – you’re making me want to go right now! x

2. Bethany
    January 19, 2018 / 2:31 pm

They all sound so amazing, Rome is such a beautiful place and it would be a shame to not do/see all the things you said in this blog, definitly something to jot down in the wish list.

3. January 19, 2018 / 4:37 pm

Rome looks like such a beautiful city … it is somewhere that I would love to visit!

4. January 19, 2018 / 8:08 pm

other than a bus tour, we did everything on this list when we went. It has quickly become my favourite city in Europe 🙂

5. January 19, 2018 / 9:01 pm

My partner worked in Italy for 6 months at a time and so he has said Rome is so tourtisty and he wouldn’t go back but I am desperate to go at least once and do all the sightseeing bits! Your photos look great, I will go one day but maybe a stop by whilst travelling around.

6. January 20, 2018 / 12:44 am

Rome is somewhere I would absolutely love to go one day, I think looking at the sky through the Pantheon and going on a bus tour would be a must for me. Bus tours are great for getting an idea of the lay of the land.

7. January 20, 2018 / 6:05 am

I visited Rome a few months back too for an extended weekend and I want to go back to experience more slowly, I did all of the six things you’ve suggested except the ice cream unless buying it from an Italian shop at the station counts.

8. January 20, 2018 / 10:21 am

Visting the roman colosseum would be my number 1 priority being a huge history buff! I think the open topped bus would also be a great way of visting all the iconic landmarks as well.

9. January 20, 2018 / 5:14 pm

the only thing I haven done is going to the pantheon! it’s just one of those I need to pop in and experience it

10. January 20, 2018 / 5:36 pm

Oh I so want to go to the colosseum too! Rome is right up there on my list of places to visit, it’s just such a hugely historical place I can imagine it’s an amazing experience!

11. January 20, 2018 / 10:35 pm

We did a few of these when we went to Rome but I’d love to go back and do them again and the stuff we never managed to do – especially now Jack is a lot older

12. January 21, 2018 / 12:05 am

I’ve never been to Rome but it’s very high on my travel wishlist and you’ve pretty much listed everything I’d want to do if I ever get the chance to go. I’d especially love to make a wish at the Trevi Fountain

13. January 21, 2018 / 10:15 am

Rome has been on my travel bucket list for awhile. I’ll definitely have to check these places out when I do make it there!

14. January 21, 2018 / 3:13 pm

I’ve never been to Rome, but I would like to visit one day. I think an open top bus sounds like a lovely way to view the city- I like to mix touristy things with exploring on my own 🙂

15. Helen
    January 21, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Rome looks such an amazing place, its been on my travel wishlist for a while now. Like you say its amazing how things like the Colluseum are still standing after everything the world has been through since then. We love the bus tours, its a great way to see things and the talks are usually really interesting too.

16. January 21, 2018 / 11:54 pm

I was so upset when I wasn’t able to fit in a visit to Rome when I went to Italy. I really hope that I get to go at some point. I cannot wait to see the colosseum in person!

17. January 22, 2018 / 10:58 am

We’d love to head to Rome just to see the famous Trevi Fountain too. Even though it’s a tourist trap we’d still like to go and see the sights. Great list 🙂

18. January 22, 2018 / 11:18 am

I’ve never been to Rome but it’s a city I’d absolutely love to visit! Your tips are great and I’ll keep them in mind should I ever book up.

Katie xoxo

19. January 22, 2018 / 11:28 am

I have never been to Rome but I totally agree with the open bus tours. We did them in Barcelona and had a 3 day tickets which was hop on hop of and we got to see and do everything. Was brilliant. I have always wanted to go to Rome so it might be one for the future travels x

20. hannah
    January 23, 2018 / 11:26 pm

I’m going to Rome this year and are looking for different things to see and do. Will definitely be looking at some of these