Four Places I Want To Visit In Germany

Four Places I Want To Visit In Germany
Image taken by Mellissa Williams from Fly Drive Explore

With so many countries in Europe it can be hard to work out exactly where to go when I think of weekend getaways but one country which I have barely touched is Germany. Years ago I headed to Berlin for a weekend away with family and then in 2016 I headed to Nuremberg for Rock Im Park Festival although I didn’t get to see any of the city itself. There are so many beautiful looking cities within the country that I’m keen to visit.

Berlin

Let’s start with somewhere I’ve been before; Berlin. I am really keen to go back to the city and explore some more of what it has to offer as due to being with family last time I didn’t see as much as I may have done had I been with friends. I want to see more of the cities artwork and really spend time along the East Side Gallery but I want to find out a bit more about the history of the city as I don’t know all that much about the Berlin wall and it’s fall so this would be really interesting. Plus the zoo is one of the best I’ve ever been to so I’d definitely be going back.

munichPhoto taken by Hollie of Hollie in Wanderlust

Munich

Munich seems a lot more traditional than cities like Berlin and Frankfurt so it would be nice to have a contrast and the Marien Square which is the central heart of Munich has the New Town Hall of Munich which looks absolutely incredible and reminds me of the Parliament building in Budapest which is one of my favourite sites. The Glockenspiel which is a 100 year old chiming clock is housed here and at 11am or midday you can hear it ring watch the 32 life-sized figures reenact historical Bavarian events which sounds so much more impressive than the Prague clock tower which was a little disappointing. I’m not a huge fan of beer so that side of Munich doesn’t appeal to me as much but I bet Ocktoberfest it as a great time to visit.

Cologne

I am hoping to visit Cologne in December for their Christmas markets as German Christmas markets are hailed for being the best in the world so I thought I’d combine that with the city. Cologne itself looks absolutely stunning from the photos I’ve seen especially the large Gothic cathedral in the city which is a UNESCO site. The city has some beautiful outdoor spots as well such as the Botanical Gardens whose greenhouses were inspired by London’s Crystal Palace, although I might not get a chance to see this in all it’s glory in December.

RombergPhoto taken by Jessica of Forevermissvanity

Frankfurt

In stark contrast to Munich, Frankfurt is a lot more modern and takes influence from America as it’s nicknamed ‘Mainhattan’ and ‘Chicago on the Main’ which is probably because it’s considered a global city which constantly ranks within the top ten best cities to live and do business in. I really love metropolitan cities so this would make for a great city break away. There’s still a lot of history especially around Frankfurt’s Old Town with a picturesque square and lots of tourist attractions to keep you busy.

Have you been to Germany?

Four Places I Want To Visit In Germany

1. September 20, 2018 / 8:40 am

I have been lots of cities in Germany include these and Cologne was my favourite with Munich and Berlin in close second

2. Vivian
    September 20, 2018 / 9:11 am

Munich is absolutely lovely and the central square is gorgeous there! Berlin is definitely on my travel list!

3. Melissa
    September 20, 2018 / 3:38 pm

I am not much of a traveler and really like to stay at home, but I do love reading about other places and seeing pictures. I kind of live vicariously, I guess.

4. September 20, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Yes I have been to Germany several times and Berlin and Munich remain my favorite. But when in Berlin I feel like I’m home. I feel a strange familiarity to that place from the very first time I have met u.

5. September 21, 2018 / 7:24 am

Cologne and Berlin are amazing. I also love checking out smaller German towns. They have this storybook feel to them and the people are so happy!

6. September 21, 2018 / 11:04 am

I have never been to Germany but heard much about munich. Really wish to have a quick vacation and fly to these amazing places

7. September 21, 2018 / 5:08 pm

I have never been to Germany and these are four places I would love to visit too! Have read and heard about Munich and Berlin. And seen some pictures of Cologne recently and it looks amazing too! Thanks for reminding us to make a Germany trip soon!

8. September 21, 2018 / 9:06 pm

I love Germany! It’s a great country, very interesting and easy to travel in.

9. September 22, 2018 / 9:03 am

I completely agree with your choice of cities in Germany. Berlin is also in the first place on my list. So far, I’ve seen only Leipzig.

10. September 22, 2018 / 3:22 pm

Wow wow, all those cities in Germany sound amazing! My friend used to live in Munich and she had nothing to say but great things about it!

11. September 23, 2018 / 12:26 am

this help us out in our future Germany travel. Thank you!
    we want to go to these places too!

12. September 23, 2018 / 11:39 am

I’ve been to a couple of laces in Germany including Munich and I loved it there. Really nice city and the people were also lovely. You’ll get there soon!

13. September 25, 2018 / 1:29 am

I have never been to Germany but I would looove to visit. I honestly don’t know much about the country itself. A friend of mine lived there for about 6 years and that probably would have been the best time to visit but it never worked out. It definitely seems like such a beautiful place.

14. Scarlett
    November 16, 2018 / 1:08 pm

Germany is by far my favourite country to visit. I love the architecture, culture, people and of course the beer and food! I’ve been to quite a few German cities but Cologne is definitely my favourite as it’s a lot smaller but still has German culture. it’s a stunning city and I hope you enjoy it when you visit.