Highlights Of Download Festival 2018

Highlights Of Download Festival 2018
Image taken by Matt Higgs for Mosh/ Hit The Floor

As I write thi I’m currently sat on my sofa trying to recover from last weekends Download Festival. I don’t know about you guys but the older I get the longer I need to recover from festivals and this year was no different. I was staying at a hotel but despite this I didn’t get as much sleep as I’d have liked as I was working quite a bit over the weekend so had reviews to complete when I got in but I know I’d have been even more tired if I had camped. Here are my top highlights from the weekend:

The sunshine

For the second year running the weather at Download Festival has been incredible and it’s been such a stark contrast to the years of ‘Drownload’ I have enjured. Of course I’m never happy with the weather and personally it was a bit too hot and muggy for my liking but I wouldn’t be British if I didn’t have some complaints and it is better than rain.

Bury Tomorrow

These guys are my fav’s and I was so happy to get to see them again at Download even though their set seemed to have been cut short compared to the set list I saw which was such a shame. It was great to hear some of their new tracks live and they’ve now announced a tour for later this year which I’m definitely going to get tickets for.

cheese wedges

Going meat free

It wasn’t an overly conscious decision before the festival but once I was there and saw all the amazing food outlets which just seem to get better every year I thought I’d go meat free. I’m usually someone who eats a lot of meat so it was such a nice change to swap things out although I did end up eating a lot more cheese than I usually do, not that I’m complaining. There were still loads of things I wanted to try including a vegan pie but that’s the problem with festivals so much food and so little time.

The theatrics of In This Moment

I’ve listened to In This Moment quite a bit as Luke is a fan but never seen them live so on Sunday I got my first chance and it was such an experience. Everything about the theatrics of the set was incredible and the band are so talented with what they do that I’m still a bit in awe. I’m super keen for them to announce some short of tour so I take Luke along as I know he’d absolutely love it.

chocolate pancakes

Chocolate pancakes

Another foodie favourite but this time something specific which was a street food pancake stall which happened to be in the guest area. I opted for a chocaholics pancake which had white chocolate, brownies and nutella stuffed into a pancake and my god was it filling. When I got it I didn’t think it looked like much especially for £5.50 but 15 minutes later when I finally (almost) finished it I knew I’d got such a good deal although I couldn’t eat for hours afterwards.

You me at six’s headline slot

My final musicial highlight was You Me At Six’s headline slot on Friday night over on the Zippo Stage. I am a sucker for YM@6 and absolutely love them so it was great to see a full proper set from them and it’s made me so excited for Community Festival next month when I will see them again as Joshs’ voice has come on such a long way and live they’re just amazing.

1. June 14, 2018 / 3:18 pm

The food looks so amazing… that, for me is such an incentive. I have wanted to go to download since forever, and you have made it look and sound awesome! Glad you had fun x

2. June 14, 2018 / 8:03 pm

We have been before as its not far for us but struggled to get childcare this year. Those pancakes look amazing! so pleased you had a lovely time

3. June 14, 2018 / 8:21 pm

That chocolate pancake looks amazing! So glad you enjoyed the festival and that the weather was fab, makes all the difference! Not been to a festival for a couple of years but hope we can make a local one later in the year. Sim x

4. June 14, 2018 / 11:14 pm

Mmmmm… crepes with Nutella *drools*. It’s surprising how much you can now get meat free. Since the beginning of this year we decided to only have meat and fish when we’re on holiday and out of the house. At home, we’re a completely veggie household. Unless we crave a Dominos 😀 I has made a huge difference.

5. June 14, 2018 / 11:35 pm

As great as the music looks, I think that chocolate pancake would be a personal highlight for me! It looks like you had an amazing time!

6. June 15, 2018 / 12:21 am

It sounds like you had an amazing time, that chocolate pancake looks delicious and I bet You Me At Six were fantastic to see live on such a stage!

7. June 15, 2018 / 7:46 am

Chocolate pancakes!!!! Yummy, worth going just for them – music is an added bonus!

8. June 15, 2018 / 8:02 am

Love the look of the chocolate pancakes! So glad you got some decent weather as I can’t imagine anything worse than being out in the rain all day! x

9. June 15, 2018 / 8:34 am

You were extremely lucky withe weather and that pancakes looks yummy

10. June 15, 2018 / 11:20 am

Great to hear that you had such a good time at Download. I would definitely have enjoyed seeing some of the bands and probably wouldn’t have been able to resist a slice of vegan pie followed by a delicious chocolate pancake!

11. June 15, 2018 / 10:46 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Are those cheesy chips? They look yummy!

12. Jade Bremner
    June 15, 2018 / 11:00 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Download but never can afford it and nobody else wants to come. Plus like you I would have an issue with the weather lol

13. June 16, 2018 / 9:47 pm

Wow you lucky thing, good weather for two years in a row! It’s good that it was easy to go meat free and must have made a nice change for you.

14. June 17, 2018 / 10:03 am

Wow the food looks amazing, I love the idea of going meat free. We have a couple of family friendly festivals planned this Summer and I cant wait. Your post has got me in the mood! x

15. June 17, 2018 / 1:09 pm

One of my friends absolutely raves about this festival! It sounds great and well done for going meat free, it’s great that they had so many veggie options!

16. Jess
    June 21, 2018 / 11:35 pm

Always amazes me that there’s meat free options available at festivals. You’d never have expected that a few years ago – bar chips of course lol. Goodness, haven’t listened to Bury Tomorrow in years! Might go an play my old playlist now.

17. April
    July 23, 2018 / 12:45 pm

I have to agree with pretty much everything on here.

Bury Tomorrow are my favourite band too and this Download was my 10th time seeing them, it sucked that the sets were running late & they got cut short, it’s the 2nd time I’ve seen their set get cut short.

I ended up unintentionally going meat free too because I just lived off the vegan burgers that I am still in love with & cheesy curly fries haha. That pancake looks amazing though I could really go for that.

& You Me At Six and In This Moment definitely didn’t disappoint. I got my sister to watch ITM with me as I have been dying to see them for years. She wasn’t very interested, then when they started playing she was loving it. When Maria came out for ‘Whore’, I looked at my sister and she just said “I’ve got goosebumps”. I love when an unexpected band blows you away. Dying to see them again already haha

• Rhian Westbury
      Author
      July 24, 2018 / 9:02 am

I was so gutted about Bury Tomorrow, I saw the original setlist as well and it looked so good. But I’m just excited as I’m going to see them in December so it’s a chance to see the whole thing.
      Did you see the You me at six first album show announcement?