Life Update And Plans For 2018

Life Update And Plans For 2018

Sometimes it can be hard to bridge the gap between bringing some personality to your blog and sharing too much of your life. For some bloggers sharing lots comes naturally and I love reading really personal posts but for me I struggle to let too much of myself out but this is something I’ve been trying to change over the past few month’s and make this part of the internet as much about me as a person as the places I go to and the items I use.

I’ve mentioned it a few times but I’ve been breaking up my 2018 goals to make them into smaller monthly targets to it’s really made me think about what I wanted from this year, and from the years after that. So this post is going to be part looking at where I am in my life within certain areas and thinking about the goals and plans I have going forward

Personal Life

At the moment I like to think that I’m in a pretty good position with my personal life as I am very close with my immediate family who I love with all of my heart and I’m lucky to live just a 5-10 minute drive from them all. I have a wonderful collection of friends and I am happier in my relationship than I ever thought I could be. Back in 2016 I was in a position where I was seeing friends with their partners all happy and loved up and kept seeing images of people I knew getting engaged and moving on with their lives and I felt really behind. In November 2016 I was lucky enough to meet my current boyfriend and we’re now starting to think about our future.

Relationship

One of the biggest things for 2018 is for my boyfriend to move in with me. Despite the fact that he’s at my flat more than half the week anyway this will be a big deal for us as it marks the ‘next step’ but it makes so much sense for both of us. Ahead of this happening I have some decluttering and tidying to do because I’ve got to find room for all his stuff to begin with, and I have some financial stuff to sort out so we know how we’re going to work.

Next up in my personal life is my weight/ size; it’s something I’ve battled with for a long time but I am determined that 2018 is going to be the year that I make proper progress in my dream of being a healthier version of myself. I am planning to lose some weight through Slimming World as I’m keen to make lifestyle changes and not just crash diet as that goes against the being healthy aspect. But I also need to up my weights and fitness game so further down the line I can get more toned and stronger.

Home Life

I’ve spoken about it loads before but currently, I am living in a shared ownership two bedroom flat which I was lucky enough to purchase back in 2012. My home life plans are twofold really, the first one is to make the place I currently have into the best version of a home as I can without spending too much money/ doing anything too major. This will include things like changing some of the lights to make the place seem brighter, getting some new blinds from direct blinds, upgrading from a double to a king size bed and optimizing the storage solutions with the flat.

Halloween homeware items

Whilst optimizing what we have the plan is to work really hard over 2018 and 2019 so that we’re in a position where we can sell my flat and buy a house together either at the end of 2019 but more likely during 2020. I’ve spoken a lot more about our hopeful future home here but I’m going to speak more about the practicalities around that within this post. First of all I want to arrange to meet with a mortgage advisor in the later part of 2018 both to ask some questions about what happens when I sell my property, but also to discuss realistically how much of a mortgage me and my boyfriend might get so we can think about what we really want.

The main thing surrounding this will be saving, saving and more saving. I know it’s going to be both expensive in fee’s/ stamp duty/ solicitors but also the additional money we may need to get the property we want so it’s big. I have tried to tone down my plans for holidays in 2018 with nothing HUGE planned so I can save as much of my additional freelance wage as I can. But I’ve also done things such as open a Money Box account so I can roundup the extra pennies on everything I buy, and I’m also doing the 1p saving challenge which I know will be a big help come Christmas time.

Blogging Goals

Blog Life

Next up is my blog and to be honest, I was surprised at how good 2017 was for me, I spoke about it in a recent post but I was really happy with my year and it showed that hard work does pay off. My blog might still be a little fish in a very big pond but as it’s just a hobby I am absolutely fine with that although in 2018 I do want to build it into more of a business where I pitch more to brands, diversify my income stream and in time grow my DA. I would love to hit 40 by the end of 2018 and I know this is possible.

Another big challenge for myself is to get some paid writing gigs outside of my blog as I’d love to build my portfolio even further, be it a regular deal or just a few one off’s but I want to create content that other people are so excited by they want to host.

Work Life

Finally, my work life has to come into it at some point. I started my digital marketing career 3 and a half years ago when my current employers gave me a chance despite little digital experience and I have learnt such a lot during this time from running paid advertising accounts and optimizing content to running blogger outreach campaigns and creating additional collateral for press releases. But now I feel that it may be time to spread my wings and look for a new challenge (and more money).

To begin with, I am going to give my CV a re-haul and then I’m going to start very specific by looking into companies and agencies that I really love who I’d be keen to work with and from there I want to look at roles within digital marketing (Outreach/ PR or Content/ SEO ideally) that are outside of London requiring a small drive as this would be a preference for me as opposed to having to train it into London each day.

I can’t actually believe how long this post has gone on for, thanks to everyone who stuck around for the journey.

Do you have any big plans or goals for 2018?

Life Update And Plans For 2018

This post has been written in collaboration with Lights but all rambling thoughts are my own

1. January 17, 2018 / 12:10 pm

Great goals. I myself am looking to improve on my DA and make Love Pop Ups London bigger, better and into a profitable business.

2. January 17, 2018 / 2:52 pm

Brilliant! Good luck and i hope you achieve all of your goals! I hope 2018 is my year too x

3. Jess
    January 17, 2018 / 4:27 pm

I wish I had so many goals to work towards!I think you’re more than capable of achieving this Rhian and you and your fella will be find moving in together I’m sure :). If you ever need anyone to look over your CV give me a shout.

4. January 17, 2018 / 6:59 pm

Apart from the fact that your cover photo is one of my absolute favourite places in Britain, interesting read. I have to agree with one thing for this year, upgrading the storage. We are at that point again where there is no storage and it is hiding mode. Good luck for this year 🙂

5. January 18, 2018 / 4:02 am

I can’t share my goals for 2018 but I can and will say that I like your goals! You are really starting to put everything in place with a smart well thought of idea of getting to where you both want to be.

6. January 18, 2018 / 10:28 am

I really like your goals! My goals for this year are all pretty much based on self development and growth! Wishing you all the luck

7. January 18, 2018 / 12:25 pm

I am in awe of how much you have achieved in the past year and can’t wait to see what the future brings for you – good luck with the writing gigs outside of your blog, I’m sure you will get many this year xx

8. January 18, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Lots of exciting plans coming up in 2018 – good luck with achieving your goals as best you can in 2018! x

9. Dannii
    January 18, 2018 / 1:30 pm

It looks like you have lots of great goals for 2018. Slimming world is a great way to focus on your health and fitness too.

10. January 18, 2018 / 2:37 pm

Sounds like you have a very busy 2018 and saving is hard but when it is for something as big as buying a new house it seems to make it easier. I am just goingt to go along the getting through each month stage that will do for me for now 🙂

11. January 18, 2018 / 3:34 pm

You have thought a lot about what you want and having goals always helps you on your way to getting there. Good luck and I wish I was as organised!

12. January 18, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Good luck with your goals, I am so happy that life is lovely for you. I haven’t sat down and written my goals this year, I’d like to raise my DA (40 would be a dream!) but I think I am going to concentrate more on my content. I’d like to write more personal stuff but it’s hard to decide what would actually be of interest to anyone other than me.

13. January 18, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Aw congrats on deciding to move in together! I need to focus on my DA also, but having a baby next month is probably going to make any blog goals a bit tricky… x

14. January 18, 2018 / 7:15 pm

Sounds like you have a lot of big goals this year and I think it’s lovely to see that you are happy within yourself (most of the time) With the weight loss and exercise find something you enjoy, incorporate it slowly and don’t make big changes to fast as that’s where people fail. Good luck with the house hunting and buying your own.

15. January 18, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Sometimes its hard to not overshare on blogs and we’ve always been too scared to give too much away. Sounds like you have a balanced personal life and we wish you all the best for 2018 and hope you blog continues to grow x

16. January 19, 2018 / 2:30 pm

Rhian, you’ve got some very achievable goals there. And it’s lovely to hear your relationship is going so well. Hubby and I are also starting to save for a house this year and it’ll most likely be 2 years before we buy but when/if we do we’ll own it outright. And I’d also like to veer my DA towards 40 this year. I’ve been doing well with it so far x

17. Joanna
    January 19, 2018 / 3:16 pm

You have some really nice plans out there. Initially my plan for 2018 was to get a mortgage as well but things have changed and now I am looking at getting a villa down in Spain and start spending more time there, in the sun.

18. January 20, 2018 / 9:20 pm

You are so lucky to live that close to your immediate family. I live in Scotland, my parents and brother live on one side of Germany, and my sister lives on the other side. We sadly don’t see each other that often.

19. January 21, 2018 / 10:34 am

Getting from one week to the next is sometimes my biggest challenge, work is busy and I just want to do the best I can and be the best I can.

20. January 23, 2018 / 11:37 am

If everything goes according to plan I think you’ll have an incredible 2018, Rhian! I have everything crossed for you 🙂 This year I want to travel more with the kids. Even if it’s just to new places within the UK. We don’t see enough outside of our own little county!

Louise x