Things I’ve Learnt Since My Boyfriend Moved In

Things I’ve Learnt Since My Boyfriend Moved In

I’ve been with Luke for just over 18 month’s now and we’ve always spent quite a lot of time together with him staying at my flat numerous times each week but two months ago we officially started living together. It’s something we’ve wanted for a while but there were some logistical things which we wanted to sort out beforehand and now I officially live with a boy.

I’d definitely say that it’s been an easier transition because he did half live in my flat before officially moving in, and he had already brought a bunch of things over like his PlayStation and his 3D Printer just because he was wanting to use them more when he was at mine but it’s still a change.

Despite the fact that I feel like I always need to clean and tidy having another person in the house I wouldn’t change it for the world because I am so happy that we’re living together. Although there are some things I’ve learnt which I thought I’d share with you.

Spending time apart is fine

I think a lot of people think that moving in together means you have to spend every minute you’re both at home together but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes we do eat dinner together and like to watch the odd movie together every now and then but we both have our own interests and want to do them. I like to watch Ru Paul’s drag race which Luke hates and obviously I need time to take blog images, and in the same vein some nights all he wants to do is whack on his VR headset and take a trip into space. It’s totally normal and natural to still spend time apart, it’s all about knowing the other person is there so you can have a cuddle when you need one and fall asleep together.

I don’t like sleeping alone

When we first got together it took a little bit of getting used to sharing a bed with someone as other than the odd night I’d always had a double bed to myself. Now we have a king size bed which suits us that bit better and I really don’t like sleeping alone. It’s just something that I’ve got used to and when I go away or on the odd night when me and Luke aren’t sleeping at the same it feels really strange.

It’s great having someone there to help

When ever I needed something doing to my flat or my car I’d either struggle on my own or call my dad and it would generally get done a week or so later but ever since Luke moved in I always have someone to help. Be it ordering the right parts to put a picture up, or moving the shelves on my bookcase he’s there to sort it for me and I’m finding that changes in my flat are happening much quicker, although it does help that he’s super handy at DIY.

Valentines Photos

There’s always someone there to look after me

One of the great things about living with a partner is knowing that regardless of how rubbish you might be feeling or how bad your day may have been there’s someone there who can care for you. Over the years my mum has been in hospital quite a few times for operations and due to medical negligence and I always saw my dad there looking out for her and caring for her. On the days when I’ve felt a bit crappy and Luke’s been there he’s done great making me feel all cared for so it’s nice knowing that I have that.

Food doesn’t cost that much more

Of course when there’s two of you living together general costs go up but food is something I’ve noticed hasn’t changed all that much. I think part of that is because with us both being there I’m making far more dinners from scratch as opposed to using ready meals or getting takeaways like I was when I was on my own. Once you have the staples in the cupboard I don’t find it costs much more buying things for two than it did for one, especially as we’re taking lunches to work and not always buying out.

I seem to always be doing washing

I used to think that I had a lot of dirty washing but I swear living with a boy makes this seem so much more. When I was totally on my own I’d do one batch of washing a week but now I feel like I am doing about three batches a week with underwear being the thing I seem to wash the most, sometimes I feel like he’s wearing two pairs of everything a day and that’s why it’s so high.

If I want something done I need to be very clear

I can’t make hints or notes about doing things I just need to be straight out and tell Luke if I need him to do something like take the bins out or empty the dishwasher. 99% of the time he’ll do what I’ve asked but they won’t generally think to do these things themselves so you need to be clear.

Any amount of negatives are far outweighed by the positives

At the end of the day even though I feel like I’m always needing to clean and sometimes it can be like chasing a toddler around as they leave a trail of destruction behind them I wouldn’t change a single thing about living together.

Do you live with a partner? If so what things have you learnt since moving in together?

Things I've learnt since my boyfriend moved in

*This post has been written in collaboration with Pryers but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. June 1, 2018 / 2:58 pm

Aww that’s so lovely and I’m with you on most of those points! Since marrying my husband I hate sleeping alone and have had to learn that spending time apart is ok 🙂

2. June 1, 2018 / 3:00 pm

ha, I agree with a lot of these, especially the being quite specific if something needs to be done. And tell me about the laundry!! lol. So nice being together though x

3. June 1, 2018 / 4:06 pm

Ha I constantly have that problem with my boyfriend of having to tell him exactly what needs doing else he will ‘forget’. I think it’s nice just to have another person around and I couldn’t imagine not having him living here after such a long time! xx

4. June 1, 2018 / 9:53 pm

I am the same as you with not liking sleeping alone. I find it really strange if my Husband is away, it takes me hours to fall asleep and I am usually shattered the next day because of it.

5. June 2, 2018 / 12:14 am

This is such a cute post. But one that is full of the true practicalities of living with a dude.

6. June 2, 2018 / 3:32 pm

Such a lovely post – it is so true that the washing pile becomes so much bigger, isn’t it? I love how you say that all the positives outweigh the negatives, that’s so sweet and such a lovely sentiment. x

7. June 2, 2018 / 3:53 pm

This was such a lovely read – I too find it hard sleeping alone if Mr W isn’t there!

8. June 2, 2018 / 4:53 pm

Haha I totally agree with this – I don’t do well sleeping alone and most definitely have to be clear if I want anything done bless him lol.

9. June 2, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Hi Rhian
    When I read “If I want something done I need to be very clear” I started to laugh. Hihihi…. with girls you can make a little hint, like “the table looks dirty” and she would clean it (in most cases they see it on their own and clean it). With boys you have to say “Clean the table in the next two minutes!” and then it is done… most of the time… hahahaa… great! This will never change! 🙂
    Hugs and Kisses
    Bea
    P.S.: I love your pictures!

10. June 3, 2018 / 1:03 am

Ahh this is so cute! And true too. Own time apart is so important, I found a box set that was just mine was really nice! No one wants to be in each other’s pockets, makes time together even more special.

11. June 3, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Sweet post – but trust me when you’re married to a snorer you LOVE sleeping alone!!!

12. June 4, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Aww this is lovely, sounds like you are really enjoying loving together- despite all the cleaning! I have been living with my husband now for almost 8 years and I couldn’t imagine ever living on my own now. How you both continue to enjoy living together xx

13. June 4, 2018 / 9:13 pm

Its really different when some one visits for a day or two and with some being there 7 days a week .I think you both need to adjust and make ground rules so that all chores are shared equally. Its a lot of compromise, give and take needed to run a blissful household.

14. June 4, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Ah lovely post. I never lived alone so didn’t have that to find out but moving in with my boyfriend was a big change. I hate now sleeping alone!

15. June 5, 2018 / 2:13 pm

It’s such a huge adjustment moving in with someone. I’ve living with my boyfriend for 11 years now but it was quite a shock getting used to it at first, now I can’t sleep unless he’s in the bed beside me.

And I agree, I’m always doing washing too. Just when you thought you were getting ahead, boom. The baskets full again!

Katie xoxo

16. June 6, 2018 / 10:00 am

My boyfriend moved in with me after three years (the year just before that we was in Japan for 12 months, which was the ultimate relationship test!) By then we knew each other pretty well, so there weren’t any big surprises. We got married a year later.

17. Jess
    June 11, 2018 / 11:26 am

I’m surprised by your comment about food not costing much more. I must admit that the budgeting aspect does worry me. I’ve been with my fella for ages but we’ve not found the right time/place for both of us to move in together so all this is new to me. I definitely think it’s healthy to spend time apart to, as you suggest. I see so many couples rush to move in together then fall apart under cabin fever.