How To Dress Festive When You’re Not Going All Out Glitter

How To Dress Festive When You’re Not Going All Out Glitter

With the festive season well and truly in full swing and the impending New Year celebrations just around the corner I find myself thinking about outfits far more often than I should. While I do love going all out and dressing up dripped in glitter and sequins it can sometimes feel too much and I don’t go ‘out out’ all that much anymore, I’d much prefer to spend time going out for a meal or for cocktails in a bar where I can have a conversation.

I always find at this time of the year retailers spend so much time promoting glitter and sequins that it can be tough to find that special out for the in between events. Drinks with friends you haven’t seen in a while, a lunch out with work or an evening drinking mulled wine at a Christmas market, those times where you want to make an effort and dress up but want to be practical as well.

Close up of me Me in polka dot dress from boohoo

I went to the VIP opening of the new Cineworld complex in Watford earlier this week and had the outfit dilemma. I didn’t want to turn up straight from work in jeans and a top but it wasn’t the occasion to wear a body-con dress, especially as we would then be sat down watching a movie. So when Boohoo contacted me around Christmas outfits I jumped at the chance to look for something which could work for all situations.

As a total polka dot obsessive I loved that there was a whole section dedicated to polka dot items and I was in my element so I settled on this Plus Spot Ruffle Off the Shoulder Dress* (£15). I absolutely love the Boohoo Plus Range as it’s still just as stylish with choice like the main collection of clothing but there’s such a great choice of sizes, plus the price is an absolute steal. Even for the most glitzy outfit you can easily find a dress for under £30 which is amazing, especially when if you go onto the high street you could be looking at double that.

Gold layered necklace from Boohoo

The dress is really flattering as it sits around knee length which is nice enough to dress up with tights and heels for a glammed up drinks out kind of look, or you can pair it down with leggings and boots like I did for a slightly more casual look. The ruffle detailing around the top is really flattering and adds another dimension to the dress.

I think one of the most important parts of an outfit are the accessories so I paired it with this delicate stone layered necklace* (£5) which is stunning and not usually the kind of thing I’d be drawn to. There are three individual gold chains with a single stone on one chain, no stones on another and then a selection of stones on the longer one. I love how delicate this is as I find a lot of costume jewellery can be quite chunky and in your face so this was a great compromise. This is the sort of necklace I could imagine wearing with an outfit for a wedding as it’s striking without being overpowering if you have quite a dressy dress.

tribal drop earrings from boohoo

And because I don’t care about mixing my metals and colours I thought I’d go for these Triangle Hoop Earrings* (£4) as I like wearing chunkier earrings so they stand out under my hair. These were so comfortable and quite an unusual design with the more boho style patterning on the hanging triangles.

What do you tend to do when you want to dress up but don’t want to go OTT?

How To Dress Festive When You're Not Going All Out Glitter

1. Konstantina
    December 13, 2018 / 3:44 pm

Polka dots look fantastic on you and I am absolutely im love with your earrings. Hope you are having a great time so far

2. Roseline
    December 13, 2018 / 4:28 pm

Wow, I Love this jacket and your dress! The fit and flare is my favorite style of dress, and this one is true to size. The polka dot print is adorable, and I think it’s perfect for Spring and Summer.

3. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    December 13, 2018 / 7:03 pm

I have to admit that I love glitter and sequins! LOL. But I know it’s not for everyone. A fun pattern and some baubles still looks like you’re in the holiday spirit and having fun.

4. December 13, 2018 / 9:24 pm

I like the look of sequins and glitter – but find them so annoying while wearing them. I like to admire them from afar.
    You look lovely in the polka dots dress, love your earrings. xx

5. December 13, 2018 / 9:44 pm

I am loving your outfit idea. I have to admit I don’t really do glitter so I am all for nice festive ideas which don’t include it.

The dress is so cute and those earrings are so lovely too!

6. December 13, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Your dress is stunning, in fact I’ve justg headed over and bought it and its gone down to £11.25 now, its an amazing bargain, thanks. Mich x

7. December 14, 2018 / 12:30 am

If I want to look smart but not overly formal, I will usually wear one of my playsuits with a light jacket or blazer.

8. Annemarie LeBlanc
    December 14, 2018 / 1:18 am

Love those earrings! I like the way you put your outfit together. Festive but not too overpowering. The accessories you chose were perfect!

9. December 14, 2018 / 9:36 am

I don’t like glitter and shiny materials at all – so I love your ideas here.

10. December 14, 2018 / 10:53 am

I love the dress, I know what you mean about everything being all glitter and sequins, I had this dilema last weekend and found did find the perfect dress to wear. I need to start checking out Boohoo a bit more often

11. December 14, 2018 / 10:28 pm

I absolutely LOVE this dress. You look fantastic and it would be perfect for some many occasions, a great price too!

12. Gladys nava
    December 15, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Such a great tips here! I totally in love with your beautiful polka dots dress. Love it ❤️

13. December 15, 2018 / 5:29 pm

I love a bit of bling and sparkle and Christmas is the perfect time to embrace it. Love your look though

14. Aia
    December 16, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Im in love with your necklace .and by the way you look stunning on this outfit. Be always beautiful. =)

15. December 17, 2018 / 6:56 am

Love this dress but at Christmas time I do love all the glitter and sequins.

16. December 17, 2018 / 1:54 pm

I love to accessorise with either statement jewellery or a bright colour to perk up a plainer outfit as I hate looking too OTT – Love your outfit by the way, dress is lovely x