Celebrate Easter With Vegan Scones

Celebrate Easter With Vegan Scones

A lot of people rave about hot cross buns at Easter but I’m not a huge fan so when the wonderful guys at Indigo Herbs reached out and offered to send me an Easter baking hamper* I spent a while working out what I wanted to cook. I love scones all year round but they’re definitely more of a Spring food than a Winter one so I knew I wanted to give vegan scones a go. Too many scones that I find out aren’t vegan friendly so I opted to ensure that these were and the great thing is almost all of the products from Indigo Herbs are vegan friendly.

I chose a mixture of products that are all healthier alternatives to your standard baking ingredients so I wouldn’t feel as guilty whilst eating them. Β To start with I mixed 150g of coconut flour with 50g of coconut sugar to get the base of the mixture (if you are using regular flour you will want to use 300g but the coconut sugar is the same as any other kind of sugar).

indigo herbs

For the butter I used cacao butter which had a lovely smell hinted with chocolate, this is a little more complicated to use than regular butter but works just as well. I melted around 200g over boiling water until it reached liquid form before mixing it in with the sugar and flour. Of course you can use regular margarine/ butter if you’d prefer. I added a little bit of vanilla powder to the whole mixture to give them a bit more of a taste but you don’t have to add this if you don’t want to.

Once mixed together I added a few splashes of soy milk to get the mixture to bind enough without being runny. I then separated my mixture into three so I could make three varieties of vegan scones. I made part of them with your regular raisins and made large scones, I did one mixture with Goji berries and made slightly smaller scones and the final batch I used carob powder and dark chocolate chunks to make a sweeter version and this one I put into a large tin to cut into pieces.

goji berry vegan scone

Then it’s just a case of popping them in the oven to cook. I made the raisin ones first and as you can see by the main image they came out perfectly, the goji berries one came out pretty good but the chocolate one was a little crumbly (possibly needed a little more butter/ milk) but we all learn. They all tasted really nice so I don’t mind all that much.

Are you planning on doing any Easter baking? What will you be making?

1. March 15, 2016 / 9:32 am

I love your ingredients! We have been trying to find coconut flour for ages with much struggle in our area! Was looking forward to a picture of all 3 types of scone but the post will suffice ha! Hope they tasted as good as they sounded xx

• Rhian Westbury
      March 15, 2016 / 10:18 am

Unfortunately it was so hard to get a good photo of the chocolate ones as it was quite crumbly. The raisin and Goji berry ones above looked far more photogenic haha x

• March 15, 2016 / 3:53 pm

I see… but where they tasty? If so, that’s ok. We can handle crumbly chocolatey goodness!

• Rhian Westbury
          March 16, 2016 / 9:49 am

Yes they were tasty haha πŸ˜€ x

2. Sarah L
    March 15, 2016 / 7:07 pm

Oh!! These sound great! I am so going to try making these. I’m not a lover on hot cross buns either and these sound perfect. I’m not vegan but they look and sound yummy! xx

3. March 15, 2016 / 8:06 pm

You have given me a great idea for Easter. Thanks for sharing this b

4. Beautyqueenuk
    March 15, 2016 / 8:38 pm

I cannot stand Hot Cross Buns, the smell of them is vile but these sound interesting x

5. Emma White
    March 15, 2016 / 9:50 pm

oh wow I am so going to have to give these a try they look ad sound just amazing

6. Angela Milnes
    March 15, 2016 / 9:52 pm

These look fab and amazing you can make them with vegan ingredients

7. March 15, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Vegan scones are new to me and I can’t wait to try’em πŸ™‚ x

8. fashion-mommy
    March 16, 2016 / 12:04 pm

What a brilliant idea, I love that traditional recipes can have a vegan spin.

9. March 16, 2016 / 2:41 pm

I love vegan food! I’m a veggie, and want to go vegan eventually.

10. March 16, 2016 / 8:33 pm

Oh I do love scones, there is just something so wonderful about them, especially warm. These ones sound, and look fab!

11. Ickle Pickle
    March 16, 2016 / 8:49 pm

These look so delicious – I do love scones, I have never heard of vegan ones. Kaz x

12. Jessica
    March 17, 2016 / 3:09 am

this is good idea! Been looking with this kind of recipe and will sure try this one. πŸ™‚

13. michelle
    March 21, 2016 / 5:57 pm

I absolutely adore scones, jam and clotted cream. I haven’t herd of a vegan scone before so I will definitely tell my friend

14. March 22, 2016 / 10:48 am

These sound very tasty….I do love scones especially with jam and cream.
    I didn’t even think you could make vegan scones…Well done x

15. Little Steps
    March 22, 2016 / 11:57 am

Those vegan scones look yum! Must remember this for when vegan friends come and visit, since I”m always at a loss on what to serve them. x

16. March 22, 2016 / 1:58 pm

Those look delicious. I have just been away with a couple of friends who have various food allergies, and we’ve been hunting out vegan cakes along the way – definitely no reason they can’t be just as yummy. And the cacao would be such a lovely touch.

17. One Yummy Mummy
    March 22, 2016 / 9:01 pm

wow.. they look amazing.. would love to try indigo herbs.. vegan scones!!! what an accomplishment!! well done you x they look yummy

18. Cliona Kelliher
    March 22, 2016 / 9:18 pm

They look really nice! I have to experiment with altering ingredients a lot in baking as my daughter is allergic to egg and was also allergic to dairy when she was very small. Sometimes it works out well and other times not so great πŸ™‚

19. March 23, 2016 / 12:07 am

This look delicious and my friend has just turned Vegan so this would be perfect for her especially with lashings of cream/butter and jam. It sounds perfect.

20. Harriet @ Toby&Roo
    March 24, 2016 / 10:26 am

Oh wow this is fab! I have a vegan series on my blog too as I love experimenting with vegan recipes πŸ™‚ H x

21. Hannah Malanga
    March 24, 2016 / 10:35 am

The only Easter baking I am doing this year is some chocolate rice crispies with my son. I am having a break this year! These look lovely, my mum and dad love scones

22. Lisa Ryan
    March 26, 2016 / 9:19 pm

I think my son’s birthday cake is going to be the height of my easter baking – perhaps some rice crispy buns with chocolate eggs if we manage it! They look fab!

23. October 30, 2017 / 4:00 pm

This is very creative and it looks really good, I would love to be able to try these one day