Travelling Isn’t Just About Going Abroad – UK Destination Bucketlist

Travelling Isn’t Just About Going Abroad – UK Destination Bucketlist

As much as I love jumping on a plane and fleeing the country it isn’t always practical to head abroad and sometimes I can’t be asked with the early starts, the airports and the late nights coming home on the Easyjet flight at 9pm. Sometimes it’s just nice to jump in the car or onto a train and explore more of our own country and one of my challenges to myself was to explore more of the UK which I’ve not done too badly with (Belfast/ Bournemouth/ Blackpool/ Oxford down this year).

There’s so much to see in the UK so here are seven places I want to explore.

Bath

I was hoping to head to Bath this year but the hotel I want to go to a little pricier so that’s something for the future. I’ve been to Bath once for the Christmas markets but it was so busy I didn’t get to explore the city (not even the Roman Baths), and I didn’t even really get to see the markets properly. I’d love to do a two-night stay in Bath and come back via Stonehenge as it’s been a long time since I last went.

The Isle of Wight

This is a trip that most people did while they were at school but sadly I missed out here and never went, with a few British Heritage Sites on the island and some beautiful looking scenery I know I need to go for a weekend and stay over on the island. One year I’d also love to go to either the Isle of Wight festival or Bestival, but I know then I wouldn’t get much chance to explore what else the island has to offer.

Manchester

I’ve been to a few Northern cities (Liverpool, Leeds, and Sheffield) but Manchester has always fallen off my radar. Thankfully Good Charlotte are doing a Saturday night show in the city in December so I am going to spend the day before the show exploring and seeing what the city has to offer. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Cornwall

In my mind, Cornwall is the other side of the world but it’s somewhere I’d love to go as the beaches look absolutely stunning and it’s the best excuse to eat Cornish Ice Cream all day. The Isles of Scilly are located just outside of Penzance and I would absolutely love to head here for a relaxing, beach holiday, although with the weather in the UK who knows what I’d really get.

Canterbury

I’ve not explored much of Kent or anywhere to the right of London really, usually I’ll go North or South but never East, but Canterbury is somewhere I’d love to go as the cathedral looks stunning and I’d love to just walk the cobbled streets and explore the city.

Bristol

I only read positive things about Bristol and I keep seeing things about the Bristol Zoo, and being a huge fan of zoos this jumped straight out to me. As it’s pretty close to London it’s somewhere I could easily drive to for a quick overnight stay just to see more about what the city has to offer.

Edinburgh

I’ve been to Edinburgh twice already but it’s still not enough time to fully explore the city and there’s stuff I’d still love to do such as climb the Scott Monument, explore the Botanical gardens and go on one of the cities Ghost Tours. Both times I’ve been here I’ve fallen in love even more and I would probably say it’s my favourite place outside of London.

Pin It!

I often get asked where I am flying too, but Travelling Isn’t Just About Going Abroad, here is my UK Destination Bucketlist

1. September 27, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I agree with this 100%! We love visiting places around where we live here in Northern Ireland. We live on such a beautiful island and a huge portion of it is a still a mystery to us!

2. September 27, 2017 / 5:48 pm

I enjoy poking around close to home as well…I don’t do it enough and I wish I could change my mindset about that.

3. September 27, 2017 / 6:52 pm

I love these suggestions and have been to them all. I live close to Manchester so I am there quite often, it’s such an amazing city!

4. September 27, 2017 / 7:55 pm

I’ve actually been to all of these with the exception of Canterbury, and they’re all lovely. I especially love the Isle of Wight, I used to go there on childhood holidays.

5. September 27, 2017 / 8:03 pm

I came to the same conclusion last year and created a travel bucketlist including some of the UK cities and been to a few this year and got more planned

6. September 27, 2017 / 8:08 pm

I totally agree. Manchester is ace. Edinburgh is awesome and so much to see and do x

7. September 27, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Here here since having my little boy abroad is off the cards until I know he will be okay with food over seas so we cannot wait to explore the uk in years to come

8. hannah
    September 28, 2017 / 10:45 am

I’ve been to Bath and Bristol many times. I’d love to visit Scotland

9. September 28, 2017 / 1:53 pm

Edinburgh and Cornwall are definitely on my want-to-visit list. We never got the chance to visit either when we lived in the UK.

10. Melissa Major
    September 29, 2017 / 9:18 am

I love traveling round the uk too, its got so many amazing places to visit. I want to go to London and Edinburgh soon

11. September 29, 2017 / 10:16 am

I always think that I haven’t travelled around the UK very much, but I’ve ticked off all the places on your bucket list! I hope you make it to Bath soon. I live just outside and it’s such a pretty city.

12. September 29, 2017 / 3:24 pm

I enjoy traveling round the UK too. I would really like to go to the Isle of Wight

13. September 29, 2017 / 7:05 pm

I love Edinburgh so much, it is probably my favourite city – its a toss up between there and York. Bath is on my travel list too as I keep hearing how lovely it is xx

14. September 30, 2017 / 1:06 am

Usually we travel abroad, as our families live in another countries, but we also love travelling the UK and exploring what it has to offer! 🙂

15. Chrissy Faery
    September 30, 2017 / 8:57 am

Ooh! I love this! Cornwall is super beautiful, although I’ve never made it to the Scilly Isles (I’ve wanted to go there for years though!). I really want to explore Edinburgh too, and I’ve been hearing so many great things about Glasgow recently as well! xx

16. September 30, 2017 / 9:43 am

Edinburgh is amazing. I loved it there. I also like Bath and manchester. I really want to go to Cornwall too x

17. September 30, 2017 / 7:30 pm

I’ve been to Edinburgh and the isle of weight and they are both amazing places to visit. I would love to go to bath x

18. October 1, 2017 / 8:27 am

You should totally put Shetland on that list. Best bit of the UK, imho, lol! Ok, I might be biased! Still, fab list, this!

19. October 1, 2017 / 8:33 am

I have a list of UK places I want to visit too… Devon, Lake District, Somerset and so on x

20. October 1, 2017 / 8:41 pm

You’ve missed off the Lake District. That’s a definite must too. I would love to go to Cornwall, whenever I have seen photos, it looks like you are abroad x

21. October 2, 2017 / 7:49 am

Bath is a great city, I would love to live there. Go for afternoon tea in the Pump Rooms if you go. I managed to get a deal on Groupon and it was lovely.

22. October 2, 2017 / 8:23 am

We love visiting sites in the UK and did Edinburgh in February and fell in love with the city. Bath is beautiful as is Cornwall – have you seen Coombe Mill’s comp – she is giving a Xmas holiday away at her Cornish Farm – enter, it is stunning!!

23. Danielle Martin
    October 2, 2017 / 8:48 am

Oh you HAVE to come to Manchester. It’s one of the best cities in the world in my opinion.

24. October 2, 2017 / 9:09 am

I’ve never been to Cornwall but always fancied it. I’ve heard it’s gorgeous and the views are amazing! I’ve done Edinburgh quite a few times, but I’d love to head back there – it’s one of my favourite cities x

25. Erin
    October 2, 2017 / 11:20 am

I’ve been exploring more in the UK the past few years, and it’s been so so wonderful! The Isle of Wight is definitely on my list too!

26. October 3, 2017 / 6:26 am

I’ve been trying to travel more in the UK because I’ve lived here my entire life and haven’t gone very far from London! I didn’t know Bristol had a zoo, I’d love to visit 😀

27. October 9, 2017 / 9:05 am

We always holiday in the UK! We love Cornwall and Great Yarmouth, but Blackpool is fab for a weekend away. I also love going to Scarborough, Weymouth and a Rhyl, in Wales 🙂

Louise x

28. August 11, 2018 / 10:13 am

I’ve happily visited all of the places you’ve listed here. Great choices 🙂 I’d love to visit the Lake District and more of Northumberland in the UK.