Taking A Day Trip To Pompeii

Taking A Day Trip To Pompeii

When me and my boyfriend went on our Italy trip one thing I knew I wanted to do was a day trip to Pompeii. It’s somewhere I’ve wanted to visit for ages and last time I was in Rome we just didn’t have time to take a full day out to do the trip.

Before the trip, I did a lot of research to work out whether it was best for us to do the trip ourselves or whether to book onto an organised tour. Pompeii is situated close to Naples so if we went alone we’d have had to get a train to Naples and then made our way to the site on a bus from there and the train alone was going to cost almost ā‚¬70 each so we decided to pay that bit extra and book onto a tour.

We booked through Ciao Florence, but there are loads of online companies who pretty much run the same trip and it included comfortable air-conditioned coach travel (important if you’re going in the summer months), a guided walking tour around Naples, lunch in Naples, entrance to Pompeii and a guided tour around Pompeii too.

pompeii

After a very early start, we arrived outside the Vatican Museums just after 7am ready to leave at 7.30am on our coach. Now the day didn’t start off all that well as we couldn’t see a coach there despite being told to be there at least 20 minute’s before departure time but thankfully we spotted our coach after my anxiety seemed to reach extreme heights. Our tour escort provided us with an expanse of information on the area and what we were going to be seeing that day. 90 minute’s later we approached a quick toilet/ food stop and then just before 11 am we pulled into Naples.

When we arrived at Naples we met our tour guide who took us on a quick walk around Naples, pointing out some beautiful sites and it just reminded me how much I need to go back and visit the city. I experienced a bit of deja vu when we passed the ferry docks where I had been a month earlier getting a boat to Ischia which was a strange sensation. After our walk, we were taken to a traditional Nepalese restaurant where we had a mixed starter which included some of the yummiest mozzarella I’ve eaten. This was followed by a choice of pizza or pasta and of course with Naples being the birthplace of pizza I opted for that, then we had a traditional pastry desert which was extremely tasty.

Pompeii

Around 1 pm we finished our walk and headed to Pompeii which is an ancient Roman city which was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 BC and covered in volcanic ash and material. Due to the eruption, the city was perfectly preserved so you can get a feel for what it was like in Roman times from the houses and shops to the baths and even a brothel.

Walking around Pompeii itself was completely surreal and it was such a strange feeling to know that thousands of year’s ago people lived and worked in the buildings we were being guided through. Our guide did really well to take us around as much of the historical site as she could giving us information and facts as we went but I do think I’d like to go back and do it myself as you could easily spend 4-5 hours there.

At around 3.30pm we started to make our way back to Rome and despite having been up for about 14 hours by the time we got to our hotel it was a memorable and great day trip.

Taking A Day Trip To Pompeii From Rome

1. December 18, 2017 / 6:35 pm

Wow I would love to visit Pompeii! I love the history of the place, I can only imagine how special it was to actually visit!

2. December 18, 2017 / 11:25 pm

What a lovely day tripe. It must have been even more spectacular in person.

3. December 19, 2017 / 12:03 pm

How incredible to get to visit pompeii, you do the most amazing travel trips x

4. December 19, 2017 / 12:45 pm

I went to Pompeii last year and oh my gosh was it amazing! It was also incredibly hot but to see everything frozen in time was just amazing.

5. December 19, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Pompeii seems so fascinating – it is somewhere I have always wanted to visit. So amazing that you got to visit on your trip to Italy.

6. December 19, 2017 / 1:46 pm

I love how you took a day trip to go to Pompeii and how it was even more magical in person! I have been wanting to go to Italy for a long time! x

7. December 19, 2017 / 2:41 pm

What a lovely place to visit full of history and beautiful scenery. We love to go to Pompeii one day x

8. December 19, 2017 / 4:55 pm

Visiting Pompeii really appeals at this time of year. We went mid-August and were melting by the time we got there, it was too hot and very little shade

9. December 19, 2017 / 6:36 pm

How close did you actually get to the volcano itself,Rhian? All those poor souls who never had to escape….haunting.

10. Helen
    December 19, 2017 / 7:55 pm

I would love to visit Pompeii myself. It’s good to know it can be done in a day trip, albeit a long one. It must be so stunning to see and haunting too. It’s amazing how it is all preserved from the eruption, nature really is amazing isn’t it!

11. melissa major
    December 19, 2017 / 9:53 pm

I have always wanted to go to Pompeii as Ive heard so much about it and how historical it is! Those poor people though šŸ™

12. Nina
    December 20, 2017 / 1:15 am

I went to Italy during the summer but I didn’t get the opportunity to visit Pompeii unfortunately. It looks incredible – great photos x

13. December 20, 2017 / 6:41 am

I would absolutely love to visit Pompeii – I remember writing an essay on it in school when I learned Latin, I had completely forgotten about that, but I loved that project, I was so fascinated by the whole thing!

14. Hannah
    December 20, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Iā€™d love to visit Italy one day and this is definitely a specific place I want to visit when I do

15. December 20, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I have been fascinated by Pompeii since I was at Junior School. I have always wanted to visit it, but haven’t made it as far as Italy yet. It is definitely on my “To Do” list though! It looks like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself šŸ™‚

16. December 20, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Love the photos, it looks great! Pompeii sounds and looks like an amazing place to visit.

17. December 20, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Wow, what an amazing place to have a day trip too, it looks amazing.

18. Hannah
    December 21, 2017 / 12:42 am

I’m going to Rome next year so may just do this trip

19. December 21, 2017 / 8:10 am

I have always wanted to go to Pompeii, this is a great write-up of how to do it from Rome. The photos look great as well.

20. Jen
    December 21, 2017 / 10:20 am

I’ve always been really interested by Pompeii, having learnt about it in Classical civilisations at school. So glad your day went well, even if it started off a little shakey.

21. December 21, 2017 / 3:17 pm

I’m gutted I didn’t get to visit either when I was in Rome so I’ll have to go back! The history of the area is just so fascinating, I need to see if for myself!

22. December 22, 2017 / 4:06 pm

I’m sorry that your day seemed to get off to a stressful start but glad that it worked out to be a good day.

23. December 22, 2017 / 4:23 pm

Pompeii is on my list of places I want to visit, just to see all the ruins x

24. December 22, 2017 / 6:13 pm

Pompeii is on my bucket list! It looks like such a beautiful and interesting place x

25. December 22, 2017 / 11:40 pm

What a amazing place, having learnt about it in Classical

26. April 20, 2018 / 8:56 pm

I have always wanted to visit Pompeii. It looks amazing and the story of Pompeii is just so incredible. I will get there one day.