Getting The BBQ Feel At The Original Smokehouse

Getting The BBQ Feel At The Original Smokehouse

I always knew I was a meat lover but until visiting The Original Smokehouse I didn’t realise how much of a carnivore I was. The Original Smokehouse is a modern smokehouse eatery which serves a whole host of BBQ smoked meats slathered in a special BBQ rub, so when an email popped up inviting me along to try it out I did a little squeal and quickly accepted. Fast forward a few weeks and I was walking towards Westfield Shopping Centre in Shepherd’s Bush with a rumbly stomach and dreams of meat.

The restaurant itself is just outside the main shopping centre – opposite the outdoor entrance to House of Fraser if you know it – so the location is perfect for a pre or post-shopping treat, especially as you have to walk past it to get to the train stations. The restaurant has that really cool Southern American Style which fits perfectly with the style of food that they serve and I’m always partial to some pretty awesome decor.

Original Smokehouse - Drinks

After being seated pretty quickly me and Luke (the boyfriend) decided to start with making a drinks choice. Now Sunday- Thursday it’s happy hour(s) between 5 and 8 pm so a number of cocktails are just £5, a deal even I couldn’t refuse so I had the Passion Blast which was a really refreshing blend and Luke stuck with the tried and tested Gin & Tonic.

Seeing as we were pretty hungry and couldn’t narrow down two starters we went for three which is totally acceptable. To begin with was the Truffle fried mac and cheese arancini (£3.50) which were delicious, the outside coating was the perfect crispiness and the mac and cheese inside was really creamy, although I would have liked them a little cheesier, but then again I am a cheese obsessive. Next up was Burnt End Bits (£5.50) which were chunks of smoked Beef Brisket coated in a cajun rub and these were just chunks of pure joy. I had fully expected them to be really crunchy due to the name but they were succulent and fell apart in my mouth.

Original Smokehouse - Starters 2

The final starter was the Delicious Salt and Pepper Squid (£6)which we loved, the batter was light and crispy and I prefer thinner squid so these ticked that box. Although I did read afterwards that they also had fried red peppers with them but I didn’t notice at all so either they didn’t come alongside the squid or they were cooked so similar I didn’t notice the difference. Thinking about the speed we ate I’d say it was the later.

Original Smokehouse - Squid

For our mains, we settled on the Butchers Board Sharing Platter (£44) as we felt it gave the best representation of the complete BBQ affair as it came with 12 hour BBQ brisket with pepper berry rub, spitfire bacon, pork ribs, beef back ribs, chipotle rub free-range chicken, smoked chorizo, BBQ beans, corn on the cob, pickles & cornbread, with your choice of 2 sauces. We received chips with our platter but I’m not sure if this is normal as they aren’t shown on the menu so don’t be disappointed if you order and don’t get them.

Original Smokehouse - Platter

This was the course that we were looking forward to the most and we weren’t disappointed as there was so much flavour in all of the meat, especially the pork ribs and spitfire bacon which were my two favourites. The meat was so succulent and nothing felt too tough or overcooked which is something I find can be quite a fine line with smoked meats. I’ve never actually eaten ribs out before so I was a bit worried about the mess and while there was some sauce on the face and all over the fingers I don’t think anyone other than Luke noticed. Now this platter is designed for 2-3 people so we didn’t quite manage to finish it thus the BBQ beans didn’t get eaten but I’m not a massive beans fan anyway, the meat was the most important.

Original Smokehouse - Dessert

Now I’m of the firm belief that there’s a separate stomach for dessert so ordered the Peanut Cheesecake Brownie (£6) but Luke just couldn’t manage one (plus there were only three choices) so he opted for a chocolate milkshake instead. The dessert was nice but probably not my favourite as while the brownie texture was nice and soft I would have liked more of a peanut butter creamy texture to the brownies as opposed to the nut variety, but it was a nice way to finish the meal. The chocolate milkshake though was pretty amazing and we’re kind of picky about milkshakes. It wasn’t too thick and hard to drink, but it also wasn’t too runny and milky, as baby bear would say it was just right.

We may have had to roll ourselves out of the restaurant but it was well and truly worth it. I’m definitely going to be going back as I know my brother and his girlfriend are meat fiends like us, but next time I might skip dessert and leave feeling a little less stuffed.

Getting The BBQ Feel At The Original Smokehouse

We were offered a complimentary meal in exchange for an honest review so all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. January 23, 2018 / 3:18 pm

My hubby is a huge fan of BBQ and smoked meats so this would be right up his street. I’m glad to read their meats were nicely cooked. As you’ve pointed out there’s a fine line between nicely done and overdone. And I think we’d struggle with that main sharing platter too!

2. January 23, 2018 / 5:38 pm

I’ve never heard of this place but I definitely want to visit! The food looks great! That Butcher’s Board Sharing Platter looks yum!

Victoria | http://www.spokenreveries.co.uk

3. January 23, 2018 / 7:31 pm

The food looks absolutely amazing, definitely somewhere I shall check out as I don’t live too far from there. Love the look of the passion blast too, it sounds scrummy!

4. January 23, 2018 / 8:16 pm

This place sounds like the ultimate BBQ restaurant. From the drinks, meals and dessert, you sold me on visiting!

5. January 23, 2018 / 8:53 pm

Oh my goodness what a delicious sounding place to pop for a meal – I am almost drooling over that sharing platter I mean WOW what a meal for 2 and I am with you on pudding there is ALWAYS room for more.

6. January 23, 2018 / 10:23 pm

wow this looks so yummy, bring on the bbq for sure!! That dessert looks lush too – chocolate and peanut butter – yes please x

7. January 24, 2018 / 10:21 am

Oh wow, this looks delicious. Such a shame its not local

8. January 24, 2018 / 2:22 pm

I definitely agree that there is a separate stomach for dessert, I always make sure I can have some dessert so I can sample the whole menu.The arracini bites sound divine but I would absolutely demolish the peanut cheesecake brownies!

9. January 24, 2018 / 2:42 pm

I’m literally salivating. It all looks and sounds really delicious- I’m thinking I should make sure I head there soon!!

10. January 24, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Oh, I love a smokehouse and that platter looks amazing! I love how you said 3 starters is perfectly acceptable – a girl after my own heart 🙂 And I totally subscribe to the second stomach for dessert concept – I often feel I’m less full after a dessert somehow!

11. January 25, 2018 / 9:59 am

Wow, this sounds like the perfect place for my husband! He loves his meat, especially BBQ and smoked.

12. January 25, 2018 / 2:49 pm

The food all looks fantastic from starters right through to dessert – it’s like they’ve brought a little bit of America to London!

13. January 25, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Well this looks good! I love a good bbq place and whilst there are tonnes in America there isn’t many round the UK. X

14. January 25, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Yesssss 🙂 this is my kind of place. i love the whole BBQ idea especially the meats mixed with corn etc. Plus the meat always falls off the bone. just need on near me x

15. January 26, 2018 / 11:09 am

Gotta love a good BBQ – this food looks incredible Rhian. Especially the Peanut Cheesecake Brownie – nom

16. January 28, 2018 / 4:30 pm

Sounds great I’ll have to visit

17. January 29, 2018 / 5:05 am

I always say I have two stomachs; one for all and a special one for dessert. This place looks lovely and the food looks even more delicious

18. Hannah
    January 29, 2018 / 5:29 pm

The food looks amazing and is making me feel very hungry. I could eat all of that now

19. January 29, 2018 / 10:28 pm

Oh wow! I’m doing ‘veganuary’ so can’t tell you how good this looks lol. Great location in Westfield too

20. January 30, 2018 / 8:51 am

Oh my goodness – mouth drool! I think I’d have absolutely everything that you did. Location is great too!

21. January 30, 2018 / 8:56 am

Now this is my kind of place and I am totally with you on Dessert, definitely a different stomach and there is always room x

22. Fatima
    January 31, 2018 / 3:43 am

I’m a meat lover too, and steaks are my absolute favourite! I love how those desserts have been presented. Will have to visit this place now.

23. Dena
    January 31, 2018 / 9:05 pm

I am such a BBQ fan! This sounds right up my street. I’ve not heard of this restaurant before, if I am ever close by I shall try it out x