Two Great Games I Played At The UK Games Expo

Two Great Games I Played At The UK Games Expo

Luke is a huge fan of board games and it’s something him and his friends spend a lot of their time together together doing so when we got together I was thrust into the world willingly. I experienced my first UK Games Expo last year and it was an eye opener and showed me how huge the industry truly is and how many people love board games. This year I headed back to Birmingham to join Luke and his friend for a day of the 2018 UK Games Expo with the idea to try out a few games and immerse myself into it more than I had last year. There were so many interesting looking games around and sadly we just couldn’t play them all especially when I wanted to interact with as many people as possible over the day. Despite this there were two games which I played and really enjoyed.

UK Games Expo

Kitchen Rush

When asked if I wanted to play this the first this the first question that was posed was how well I work under pressure and how stressed I get, not usual questions when it comes to board games which are generally very strategic. Kitchen Rush is based in you guessed it a kitchen where your aim is to serve as many customers as possible and make as much money as possible. During your journey you have to welcome customers and get orders, collect orders, go to the storage for ingredients, cook, add spices, shop for things you may need and wash up. The reason that pressure and stress comes into play as you each have two 30 second egg timers an 4 minutes on the clock each round. Each egg timer represents time taken to do one task and you can’t move to do the next thing until your egg timer has run out so you need to be on the ball and know where you’re going to move your timer in advance and move it the second it runs out to maximise your number of moves. It was a really fun game as it’s a cooperative game so you’re all working together to complete the game and get the amount of money and prestige points needed to in the game. The game is currently still on Kickstarter and you can get all the information on it here.

photosynthesis

Photosynthesis

This isn’t a cooperative game and instead is one where you can sabotage your fellow game players. The game is based around trees and your ability to plant seeds and grow your trees. There’s 3 rounds and within each round the sun moves around the board giving each player a number of turns to spend their points planting seeds, buying trees, growing their trees or chopping them down for wood. The later is what gives you the points you need to win at the end of the game. Before the sun moves each turn you get points for all the trees which get sunlight so the more trees you have the more points you’ll get but there’s a chance that your tree could be blocked by another tree in front of you depending on the angle which is where you can mess with your friends. Plant the largest tree and anything within 3 blocks won’t get sunlight or therefore points. It may have been because it was my first turn time playing it but I won our game of this. This game is out now and you can buy it on Amazon here.

Do you like playing board games?

*I was given a complimentary ticket to the UK Games Expo but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. June 6, 2018 / 5:30 pm

I love board games! We have loads and often have family game night. These games both look really good

2. June 6, 2018 / 10:05 pm

These sound like really good fun. I would love to give photosynthesis a go myself. it sounds like a fun game.

3. June 7, 2018 / 10:37 am

We often play board games at weekends and they’re a welcome break from screen time as we all get involved and enjoy family time together. I think my daughter would love Kitchen Rush, it looks like fun!

4. June 7, 2018 / 11:15 am

I don’t think we’d be very good at Kitchen Rush as we’re like headless chickens anyway under pressure. We love board games but they all tend to be kids ones at the moment x

5. Danielle
    June 7, 2018 / 5:03 pm

I love board games, but I must admit that these are a bit too complicated compared to the ones I usually play. My husband would love them though.

6. June 7, 2018 / 10:04 pm

I love board games although I am more of a monopoly player, but photosynthesis looks interesting.

7. June 8, 2018 / 9:43 am

Kitchen Rush looks like fun although it also looks quite complicated! We tend to stick to quite basic games so it doesn’t get confusing!

8. June 9, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I only really ever pay board games at Christmas when Monopoly, Cluedo and Pictionary come out and the family get all competitive. I like the sound of Kitchen Rush but I can’t even begin to imagine the stress levels in my household playing it

9. June 9, 2018 / 5:11 pm

I can’t imagine how kitchen rush can be played as a board game, I can imagine it as a video game but it is different and am intrigued

10. June 10, 2018 / 12:36 pm

We love board games in our family and have a massive cupboard full of them; they come out at weekends and Christmas when we have a large group of us around.
    One of our favourites is something we refer to as the Train Game, but is actually called Ticket to Ride. My children recieved it from an Aunt a few years back and now we have added to it with Europe, Africa, Asia and more. If you have never played it we highly recommend it.
    For me, I love the idea of the Kitchen Rush game as added pressure in a family event is always a winner…. and makes for interesting situations.
    I am not so sure about the Photosynthesis one as I am a bit of a softie and hate sabotaging people, but I can imagine my kids would adore it.

11. Jem
    June 11, 2018 / 10:56 am

I love board games, but never played anything like this before. Looks like so much fun!