Pre Planning A Trip To York

Pre Planning A Trip To York
Photo taken by Nikki at Yorkshire Wonders

I’ve been very vocal about how much I want to explore the UK and with the house saving being high on my list I know over the next few year’s I’m not going to get the chance to go on holiday as much so when the oppurtunity to visit York presented itself to me I jumped at all.

Next month I’ll be visiting York and working with Visit York and I am so excited as I’ve never been to the city but it’s been on my to visit list for a long time. The city is pretty small but there’s so much packed in from historical gems and culture to nightlife and amazing shopping so it covers pretty much all my loves. 2018 is a really exciting year for the city as Bloom! came to the city earlier this year which is a biennial international arts festival, York Mansion House has re-opened its doors after the biggest restoration since it was first built and one of the cities car parks has been transformed into Europe’s first ever Pop-Up Shakespearean theatre which is pretty exciting. The theatre is there until 2nd September so make sure you give it a visit if you’re around York.

I am a huge fan of a city pass having got them in multiple cities before like Copenhagen and New York and when I head there next month I’ll have a York Pass which grants access to a whole host of places which I can’t wait to explore. I’ve started making a plan for my trip and I’m realistically trying to work out how much I can pack into a long weekend. Here are some of the attractions I am keen to visit:

view of york minster from the gardensPhoto from Abbey Louisa Rose

York Minster

York Minster is always the first image which comes to mind when I think of the city and photos of it look absolutely stunning. It’s the largest Gothic cathedral in Northern Europe which is pretty impressive and it took a massive 250 years to build. I always love going to cathedral’s when I’m away and I’m sure this is going to be incredible both inside and out.

Jorvik Centre

The Jorvik centre is all about Vikings which in itself is really cool and the centre houses a lot of cool things as York was the trading hub of the Viking world so the authenticity of it is really unique. It’s one of the countries top visitor attractions and I remember seeing school trips going here when I was younger but I always missed out 🙁

city cruises in yorkPhoto also by Nikki from Yorkshire Wonders

York Designer Outlet

Of course it wouldn’t be a weekend away without some shopping and the York Designer Outlet has over 120 stores including some of my favs like Ted Baker and Fossils so I’m planning to head here and just see what good deals they have. Plus there’s a Mulberry store so I can just stand and dream that maybe one day I’ll be able to justify the price.

National Railway Museum

The National Railway Museum in York is the largest railway museum in the UK and you can take a step back and discover all about the steam engine trains. I am really hoping the steam trains are there when I visit as I’ve never ridden on one and it’s something I’d love to experience.

clifford tower view pointPhoto also taken by Nikki from Yorkshire Wonders

Cliffords Tower

I am all for a panoramic view and Clifford’s Tower is the perfect spot for that. It’s about all that remains of York Castle which was originally built by William the Conqueror so there’s plenty of history there. From the top there’s great views of the city including the Minster and in the distance there’s the North York Moors.

Chocolate Story

For 300 years York’s fame and fortune rested on chocolate and at York’s Chocolate Story you get to find out how the simple cocoa bean transformed into chocolate, discover the history of some of York’s most iconic chocolate brands alongside finding out the secret of why chocolate makes us feel so good. There’s also the chance to see the chocolatiers showcasing their chocolate making skills before creating your own hand-made chocolates which of course will be a hit with me.

If you’re looking to book a York or North Yorkshire adventure make sure you check out Visit York for loads more recommendations and grab a York Pass as it will give you entry into over thirty York attractions and tours alongside discounts and offers.

Pre Planning A Trip To York

*This post is written in collaboration with Visit York but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. July 24, 2018 / 2:45 pm

York is one of my favourite places to visit but I’ve not really done much when I’ve been there! I enjoyed the Railway museum but that’s all I’ve seen! Think I need to organise an actual trip there!

2. July 24, 2018 / 8:44 pm

Such a wonderful post! I’ve been to York once and visited the Minister but I never realised how much I was missing out! I’m going to have to go back and visit all these places 🙂

3. July 24, 2018 / 9:09 pm

You will love York, I’ve been a few times now and am always finding something or somewhere new to explore! The Chocolate Story is fabulous and I love just wandering around the Shambles, there’s some amazing food and drink to be found! If you can, keep an eye out for a place called Evil Eye! They have an amazing gin bar and a bloody delicious food upstairs!

Sarah 🙂
    Saloca in Wonderland

4. Geraline Batarra
    July 25, 2018 / 6:06 am

This is another great review and very informative. Loved the way you tackle this place and photos looks amazingly incredible.

5. Elizabeth O
    July 25, 2018 / 12:48 pm

York looks incredible. It almost seems too good to be true, like a town you only see in movies. It seems like there is so much to see and do here.

6. July 25, 2018 / 1:22 pm

I love York, it’s such a beautiful city to explore. I went on a school trip years ago so I definitely need to go again.

7. July 25, 2018 / 4:32 pm

One of my fri nds has just been to York and I really want to go. Not only because of the Viking heritage and history but also how much it has a Harry Potter vibe with the shops. The cathedral would also be a must to see.

8. July 25, 2018 / 6:39 pm

I haven’t been to York before. It seems like a lovely place to visit. I’d love to go to the pop up theatre there. That sounds like fun.

9. July 26, 2018 / 11:58 am

I have never been to abroad but I would love to visit this place. Pop up theatre looks like 1st thing i would do

10. July 26, 2018 / 1:12 pm

I’ve only been to York once, briefly stopping en route back to London from Northumberland. We really liked it.

11. July 26, 2018 / 5:03 pm

I used to live up in Yorkshire – though was over in the East, near Hull. Unfortunately I never made it over to York – which is such a shame as it looks beautiful x

12. July 27, 2018 / 10:25 am

I’ve heard how amazing York is, a magnificent place full exciting things to do.

13. July 27, 2018 / 1:22 pm

We just went to Durham which is about 35mins from York and it’s really made me want to visit that part of the world more so York is very much on our list of places to visit this year! Going to bookmark this post

Laura x

14. July 27, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Looks. like you are doing a good job of the planning. I know I plan on making it back to the UK. I will have to keep these in mind especially if I make my way out to York.

15. Aimee Bradley
    July 30, 2018 / 11:18 am

Iv never been to York. It looks beautiful maybe one day. There is so much history there.

16. August 1, 2018 / 4:06 pm

Lol I would love to visit the original York. We have a York in Pennsylvania. Hershey chocolate is made less than one hour from York. I’d love to see the chocolate in York.

17. August 3, 2018 / 2:42 am

Wow! York is beautiful and serene. I would love to visit the place someday. Do you think we can fit in the nice places in a day?