Four Reasons Why I Want To Go Back To Rome

Four Reasons Why I Want To Go Back To Rome

This is a collaborative post but all thoughts and opinions are my own

It’s close to a year since I came back from Rome and I have such fond memories of the trip as it mine and Luke’s first proper holiday together and it celebrated our year anniversary. We spent four days in Venice and then took a train to Rome where we spent four more days in the beautiful Palazzo Montemartini which I wrote about here. Before this trip I had been to Rome once before but it was back in 2010 when I was in a previous relationship so the trips were bound to be pretty different.

I am a huge fan of Italy, especially Rome so here are four reasons why I want to go back.

To see the Sistine Chapel

When I went to Rome in 2010 I did get to explore Vatican City and see the Sistine Chapel but we tried to cram it all into a few hours which was a little rushed in hindsight, but on my last trip we skipped Vatican City entirely as we just didn’t have the time to spend there. I really want to go back to the Vatican and take a tour around the museums, grounds and Sistine Chapel so someone can show me some of the most important parts of the huge museum and show me what I’m looking at properly.

To eat more pasta

Pasta is one of my absolute favourite foods and while pizza is good in Italy I find the pasta just next level. Absolutely every dish that I had in Rome was spectactular and didn’t taste like anything I’d had before, even in your cheap cafes. Everything tasted really fresh and even something similar like a cheese and tomato pasta was so tasty. I’d love to go back and just eat pasta for lunch and dinner every day.

Spag Bowl

To explore the Villa Borghese Gardens

The Villa Borghese is the third largest public park in Rome and is a landscape Garden which looks very English. In the grounds there are galleries, public interest buildings, museums and attractions so it’s like a little world of its own. I’d love to spend time here and take in the beauty of the gardens and slow down the pace a little bit as I’m usually so on the go when I’m away.

To visit Cimitero Acattolico

If you couldn’t get from it’s name the Cimitero Acattolico is a cemetry and while this might seem a bit morbid to want to visit I really love wandering around cemetries and trying to find out stories about the people buried there but it also feels like an oasis of calm and a place to reflect. This oasis of calm has been Rome’s final resting place for non-Catholic foreigners since 1784 which unofficially makes it known as the Protestant Cemetry but it also has graves of Buddhists, Russian Orthodox Christians and athiests. Among the graves within the cementry I’d love to find John Keats and Percy Bysshe Shelley’s as they’re both literary icons.

If you’re heading to Rome and need some inspiration here’s my ultimate four day guide.

Have you ever been to Rome?

Four Reasons Why I Want To Go Back To Rome

1. September 27, 2018 / 10:02 pm

I would love to visit Rome to have some proper pasta and pizza. The architecture looks incredible

2. September 27, 2018 / 11:48 pm

I have been to Rome before and love my visit there, I would love to return one day and explore it a little bit more.

3. September 27, 2018 / 11:48 pm

I have never been to Rome myself but it is definitely somewhere I would LOVE to go one day. Such a beautiful looking place and so many amazing things to explore. Yes right up my street.

4. September 28, 2018 / 7:07 am

I’ve always wanted to visit Rome. It looks amazing. I love visiting places that have stories to tell, and I imagine Rome has a LOT!

Louise x

5. September 28, 2018 / 2:56 pm

I really need to go back to Rome too – I have only been once, for a day, and it rained the whole time and we had a really miserable day. So for that reason alone, I also need to go back 🙂 plus pasta is always a plus 😉 x

6. September 29, 2018 / 12:12 pm

I went to Itlay last year but not to Rome and we loved it. Such a stunning country and I can see why you would want to go back and explore some more x

7. September 29, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Oh I’d love to visit Rome too, it always looks so beautiful and romantic. I’d love to visit the Sistine Chapel too and explore everywhere I possibly could!

8. September 29, 2018 / 10:54 pm

I’ve been to Rome but that was 4 years ago… would definitely love to go back again!

9. September 30, 2018 / 11:07 am

Rome is definitely a city I would love to go back to as well; there’s just so much to see and do – and eat – that one holiday just doesn’t seem like it can fit it all in!

10. October 1, 2018 / 7:25 pm

I’ve never been to Rome, but it’s somwhere I’ve wanted to go for ages! I love Italy, it’s like my dream as the pizza and the pasta is so cheap and so much better than here! X

11. October 3, 2018 / 11:01 am

I agree! We went for our first holiday years ago, but that was before I appreciated travelling! Its such a beautiful city! Lets go back toether he he

12. October 3, 2018 / 11:07 am

My in-laws have a trip to Rome planned between Christmas and New Year for their 25th wedding anniversary, I’ll have to recommend some of the highlights you have mentioned.