Six Online Courses I’ve Done To Improve My Skillset

Six Online Courses I’ve Done To Improve My Skillset

I’m the sort of person who always wants to learn new skills and improve the ones I have so as soon as I left university I signed up and did a short course with the Open University as I wasn’t ready for my brain to stop learning new things. When I was in retail management I wasn’t doing as much freelance/ online writing so I had the spare time to learn some new bits and buff out my CV and I think online or college courses are a great way to see if you enjoy something and to get an overview to help for new roles and jobs.

The very first course I did was Learn Professional Freelance Journalism through the British College of Journalism back in 2012 as soon as I left university. I did creative writing at university and wanted to do some journalism modules but wasn’t able to do them so I left with a real hunger and passion to learn more about the world of journalism. This is probably the most intense (and expensive) course I ever did but I absolutely loved it and learnt a lot from this over the 6-9 months that I was completing it. As this was about 6 years ago I’m keen to do another journalism style course.

Vision2learn have so many flexible online courses which are free so I decided to give one a go as I had nothing to lose. I opted for the Business and Administration Level 2 course as I knew that in the future I’d be working in an office and I thought an admin based course would be beneficial.

Blogging books and magazines and galaxy chocolate

When I left university in 2011 I didn’t really know what I wanted to do and although my retail management role was fine at the time I knew I wanted more. Over the next two years I did research and worked out that digital marketing was something which interested me do I did an Online Marketing Course with Clickz Academy and a Social Media Marketing Course with MindLeaders Facebook Trainer for Business. This was before I had a blog or really did much online writing so these two course opened my eyes to the world of marketing. I definitely think that having done these courses and having them on my CV helped me get my first marketing role as it showed I had a real interest and passion for the industry.

Once I started my marketing role I’m going to admit I didn’t do as many online courses but in 2015 I did an Events Management Course through NCC Resources purely from an enjoyment point of view. One of my friends at the time had done an Events Management degree and it sounded really interesting so I decided to do a taster course to find out more about it.

In 2016-2017 I did a Tax Accounting Course online with Oplex Careers and this is the course on my CV which gets the most questions. I decided to do this as when I started working freelance in 2015 I had to submit my very first self-assessment tax form the following year and although there’s a lot of resource online I thought if I did a course I’d learn more plus get a qualification in the mean time. Oplex Careers have a lot of other courses so I definitely think I’m going to be looking to do more.

Six online courses I've done to improve my skill set

1. September 12, 2018 / 5:11 pm

I often look at new courses, but at the moment I just do not have the time at the moment to do one, but do have a few earmarked for if and when things get a little calmer for me. I think it is good to keep your mind active and learn new things x

2. September 12, 2018 / 10:38 pm

We never stop learning so why not learn something new every day or whenever we have the opportunity. I am actually thinking about taking an Online Marketing Course. Do you have any post about it or can you give me more info?

3. September 13, 2018 / 11:09 am

It’s always to keep learning new things. I think I should start up with something within this week.

4. September 13, 2018 / 1:54 pm

The Online Marketing and Social Media Marketing ones sound really interesting! It’s something I always think about doing but never actually take the plunge.

5. September 13, 2018 / 10:48 pm

I am the same as you, I love to learn! I’ve done sign language, customer service and mental health so far and cant wait to do more. That journalism course sounds up my street!

6. September 14, 2018 / 11:48 am

I enjoy learning! These all sound like amazing courses and makes me want to enrol in an online course, you never can learn too much.

7. September 14, 2018 / 1:10 pm

This was really interesting to read – it is clear to see your passion to learn has never waned. I definitely want to complete more online courses and improve my own skillset

8. September 14, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Personally, I loved doing the Squared online course. It was a 6 months course made by Google and it helped me develop my marketing thinking.

9. September 14, 2018 / 9:32 pm

Oh these are all great ideas! Now that I get free mornings, I might enrol a new course.

10. September 16, 2018 / 12:00 am

Sounds like you’ve done some really great courses, I especially like the sound of Social Media Marketing and the Events Management courses, I’ve always loved the idea of events management

11. September 16, 2018 / 5:53 pm

I think doing on line courses is so important to continue to further yourself, and so handy too to do from home! I’ve done so many over the years and all equally interesting and useful!

12. Kate
    September 17, 2018 / 4:35 pm

Very useful courses! I used to take lots of short courses – it was easy when I was in London. Nowadays with kids I don’t seem to have much time, but online courses could be ideal.

13. September 17, 2018 / 4:49 pm

I love how accessible knowledge is these days. It’s nice that you’re enrolling in different classes and it’s online so it’s more convenient for you as well. Definitely something that people should consider doing these days!

14. September 17, 2018 / 6:43 pm

I really applaud you for taking the time to do this! I bet you feel an amazing sense of achievement each time one is completed!

15. September 17, 2018 / 8:36 pm

I LOVE online courses! It’s so great that we are able to do a course from the comfort of our own home. Especially for those unable to go out to college or uni to do the course. Well done you.

16. September 17, 2018 / 8:44 pm

I have signed up to a few online courses, but never managed to complete them which is a shame, I’ll have to perhaps give them a while – it sounds like you have done some really good ones for upping your skills.

17. September 18, 2018 / 10:06 am

I love the idea of doing an events management course as I love planning and organising events for the school

18. September 20, 2018 / 8:24 am

Wow you’ve done so many courses! I think after University I was ready to stop learning for a while, but now I’d love to learn a new skill set. I’m really tempted by the event management course x