How The Price Of Living Has Changed Over The Years

How The Price Of Living Has Changed Over The Years

This is a collaborative post but all thoughts and opinions are my own

The phrase ‘money can’t buy you happiness’ always resounds with me because whilst money doesn’t necessarily make you happier, and it can in fact go the complete opposite way I do feel that money can make life easier, and simpler. Almost all of us are doing some sort of side hustle alongside our full time job, and most stay at home parents doing the toughest job at all are trying to find ways to make extra money by blogging, selling items or working freelance.

I was always acutely aware of how much things cost when I was younger, and I was a kid who did understand the true value of money, unlike a lot of kids these days who seem to think iPhones and games consoles grow on trees. As soon as I was able to get a job at 15 I worked away and have never had a period without a job even throughout my A Levels and University and in the last decade alone I can see how much the price of living has gone up.

I remember having a conversation about house prices with my Nan and my mum and being shocked at how cheap houses were back in the late 50’s/ early 60’s when my nan was buying and the 80’s when my mum was buying. Now I know that people are earning more now and women have far more opportunities but it was much easier to find the deposit for a house when it was less than £70,000 compared to the huge prices now.

But it isn’t just about the bigger things, I remember back when I first passed my driving test in 2008 it was under 95p per litre for petrol, but now you’re lucky if you get it for under £1.20 per litre, which in just 10 years is such a huge jump. Even things like I’m pretty sure the prices of clothes in Primark are much higher than they were a decade ago, although not all price increases are bad things, for example in the clothing industry it could be higher wages for those making the clothes which of course is a positive.

The Generation Game was quite a big show when I was a young kid and I remember trying to guess the prices of random things like microwave ovens and washing machines. I bet if you played the same game now the prices would be a totally different story.

Think you know the price of things? Test your skills in the quiz ‘The Generation Game: When was it most expensive’ and let me know what score you get.

How The Price Of Living Has Changed Over The Years

1. October 4, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I think it is crazy to think that people were able to buy houses for 30k or so only a couple of generations ago. Now people struggle to get on the property ladder at all!

2. October 4, 2018 / 8:18 pm

It is crazy how much things used to cost, I guess we have to remember that in some ways the cost has changed, £1 isn’t worth the same as it once was. But then again the cost has skyrocketed and people just can’t afford things in the way they once did either. We are going to be a generation of renters I think for many for instance.

3. October 5, 2018 / 9:04 am

I think the easiest indicator for me was that the price of a pint of milk when I moved to the UK 20 years ago was 39p. Now, it’s twice as much!

4. October 5, 2018 / 2:08 pm

This is super interesting. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford to buy my own place, not alone anyway! x

5. October 5, 2018 / 5:19 pm

It literally feels like I will never be able to afford to buy my own place or be in a really financially stable and comfortable position. It feels like everything is increasing except for wages

6. October 5, 2018 / 8:18 pm

When we bought our house we were really shocked when we found out the people before us only bought it for £32k…….we paid 5 times that and that was 13 years ago. I remember paying less than 50p a litre for petrol too when I first passed my test

7. October 6, 2018 / 11:00 am

I had a go at the quiz but didn’t get any right! Oops. To be fair though, I don’t think I’ve ever bought any of those things other than a personal music player and a TV.

Louise x

8. October 6, 2018 / 12:55 pm

It’s really scary how the price of everything has gone up. Even the staples like bread and milk, the stuff you need to survive! I know that wages have increased with the prices of houses etc, but I think there’s far less opportunity & we still don’t have equal pay. Everything costs so much money and even with a full time job, you can’t afford to live in your own flat in my area-you have to share.

9. October 6, 2018 / 9:05 pm

The cost of living is ridiculous. We are currently at risk of being priced out of our village. Freddo bars are the most ridiculous example! 25p for a bar of chocolate that was once only 10p.

10. October 7, 2018 / 3:30 pm

The price of houses now compared to what they were is terrifying! It feels like everything is so much more expensive these days.

11. October 21, 2018 / 5:14 pm

I think about the price of petrol every time I go and fill up! It used to cost me 30 pounds for a whole tank now it’s always 45 or 50! Also the price of Freddos is crazy now!