Gousto Vs Hello Fresh: Which Reigns Top Of Meal Subscription Boxes?

Gousto Vs Hello Fresh: Which Reigns Top Of Meal Subscription Boxes?

Just over a year ago me and Luke first tried Gousto as we were intrigued about the whole meal subscription box and the idea of having the ingredients to make a full meal delivered to you seemed better than having to actually go to the supermarket. A few months ago we decided to save doing a massive weekly shop every week and try out some meal subscription services again.

As we’d tried Gousto before we opted to try them again and did 5 weeks in total and then we tried Hello Fresh as they seemed the other talked about brand in the sector. I thought I’d do a comparison of the two across different factors and give you our verdict of which company we prefer.

The order process and food choice

The order process for both is pretty similar; you choose how many meals you want to receive and for how many people, then you choose your delivery date, how often you want to receive them and set up all your payment details. Both websites were really easy to navigate and set up which is great, but they both also have an app, although I haven’t tried these out.

Between me and Luke we’re quite fussy, for example, he doesn’t like Asian food and I don’t like things which are too spicy, and we both prefer meals which have meat in them. When we’ve browsed on the site to choose our Gousto meals we’ve always found so much choice in the meals we can pick and usually have had to narrow what we have from about 5 initial choices.

Sadly we didn’t have the same situation with Hello Fresh, on our first week we did manage to just about find three recipes which we liked the look of but when it came to our second week there were pretty much no choices we both liked the look of as there were so many curries and Asian cuisine food that we had to skip the week altogether.

Gousto Rosemary

Delivery and what you receive

In regards to the physical delivery, both options were again quite similar and we didn’t experience any issues with getting them, the one plus Hello Fresh have is that because they’re shipped with DPD you do get an hour slot for delivery on the day, whereas with Gousto we just had to wait in. For us, this wasn’t too much of an issue as we chose delivery days we knew we’d be in but it could be a dealbreaker for some.

With Gousto you get everything in one box so the items aren’t separated out to what you need with each meal, I don’t mind this at all as it means I can put all the meat and vegetables in the fridge and then the other bits in the cupboard.

With Hello Fresh you get individual bags which have all the ingredients for each meal in them and then the meat is separate. While it was nice having everything you needed in one bag I would have preferred to put the vegetables in the fridge too and I didn’t want to open the bags as it defeated the idea of having them both together. This is more of a personal preference really.

Recipe Cards

Both recipe cards are fairly similar in the fact that you get images, an ingredients list and a step by step of how to make the recipe but the Hello Fresh cards are quite a bit bigger. I didn’t actually like the size as it made them harder to store and despite being bigger the cards felt busier and had a bit too much information on them.

With Gousto on our second week, we got a free binder which means we can keep all of the cards together and use them again. We didn’t receive anything similar with Hello Fresh but we did only have it for a few weeks so it may have been something which is sent further down the line.

Chicken Gousto

Cooking and the results

As both of the brands had similar cooking instructions the actual cook for both were pretty much the same. I love how everything is individually packaged to give you just the right amount of ingredient that you need, and one thing which I did like with Hello Fresh is that it showed you the brands of some of the products used as opposed to Gousto where everything was packaged as Gousto.

I’m going to be honest, we much preferred the finished results of the Gousto meals compared to the Hello Fresh ones but this might be because we liked the recipes better.

As you can probably have guessed from what I’ve said above our choice out of the two would definitely be Gousto as there’s always so much diversity in the food choices and it’s definitely the company we’d continue with.

Gousto Vs Hello Fresh_ Which Reigns Top Of Meal Subscription Boxes?

1. November 8, 2018 / 12:28 pm

This post is SO helpful! I’ve been wanting to get back into meal subscription boxes for a long time now. I tried Gousto years ago and enjoyed it but I think I’ll have to give Hello Fresh a go now! x

2. November 8, 2018 / 5:41 pm

I’ve wondered about these sort of services. Perhaps one day I will give them a shot. In the meantime you wrote a great helpful review. Thank you.

3. November 8, 2018 / 9:35 pm

In only in Mumbai there is this service available, known as ‘dabba service’. I really wish these meal subscription boxes start everywhere.

4. November 8, 2018 / 11:28 pm

I’ve heard of Hello Fresh but never heard of Gousto? Maybe UK only? These services are definitely great at helping people learn how to cook, and evaluate portion sizes!

5. Gervin Khan
    November 9, 2018 / 3:27 am

Such a very insightful post to read. You made a good comparison with the two services that you’ve had by trying both of them and I can say that you are more satisfied with Gousto service rather that Hello Fresh.

6. November 9, 2018 / 3:35 pm

This is such a helpful post! Gousto sounds so much nicer than Hello Fresh! I think it’s really sweet that they sent a complimentary binder as well!

7. Surekha Busa
    November 9, 2018 / 4:14 pm

Honestly, I haven’t been tried that food or meal services but base on your review they both have good service. I will try this meal services and will go back for my opinion.

8. November 10, 2018 / 3:16 pm

I have never tried out one of these meal boxes but have always wanted to. It looks like I am going to have to try out Gusto and see what I think. Looks delicious.

9. November 11, 2018 / 5:06 am

I have never tried any meal subscription boxes. I am not sure if they do have it in my country. I am going to find out about it and if they do, I am definitely going to try it out

10. Akamatra
    November 11, 2018 / 9:00 am

To be honest I cool everyday for my family and we only eat organic. But I can see how good this would be for people with no time to cook!

11. November 11, 2018 / 6:32 pm

This is such a helpful post. I have tried Gousto but not Hello Fresh. One thing for me that would put me off is how the ingredients are packaged. For example, if I were to go to a supermarket and buy the ingredients, I would not pop them all in plastic bags and I think that is something that needs to be worked on, especially as I know that Gousto at least uses biodegradable insulation and reusable water cool packs! We are fussy eaters too, I am a vegetarian and like you, I’m not massive on spicy food!

12. November 12, 2018 / 9:58 am

Oh this is SO helpful as we have tried Hello Fresh but wondered how they compared to Gousto! I thought Hello Fresh was good but also expensive for us as a family of six.

13. November 12, 2018 / 10:44 am

I’ve always wanted to try both of these meal subscription boxes so this is such a helpful post! The only thing putting me off is that it is likely to be a more expensive way of shopping for us.

14. November 12, 2018 / 10:47 am

We’ve used Hello Fresh a lot but I’ve never tried Gousto. I find the Hello Fresh recipes quite complex and they’re also quite heavy on the calories – lots of oil, sour cream and creme freche.

15. November 12, 2018 / 6:55 pm

Great comparison this is really helpful! I have been looking at these subscription boxes for a while now as my little one have so many clubs they attend I am often faffing around with mine and hubbys tea! The recipes always look delicious but what are the portion sizes like? My husband eats huge portions LOL!

16. November 12, 2018 / 8:27 pm

I love this comparison. We’v used Gousto in the past and really enjoyed the meals…we do really like Asian food though so would like to try Hello Fresh.

17. November 12, 2018 / 9:38 pm

I have never heard of Gousto but have for sure heard for Hello Fresh. I loved this detailed review! I will have to give Gousto a try very soon! It seems easy and yummy!

18. November 13, 2018 / 5:36 pm

I have never heard of Gousto before and meal subscription boxes are something that I have never tried. But your article is very helpful and it gave me a good insight into this meal subscription boxes. Thanks for sharing

19. November 13, 2018 / 5:41 pm

Meal subscription boxes like this motivate me to cook from scratch. But I am a rubbish cook with out them. I have tried a few and I like that you get the recipe cards to make the meals again.

20. November 13, 2018 / 8:32 pm

I wanted to try Hello Fresh again but they had weekes where I didn’t like the meals so I stopped and now want to give Gusto a try

21. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    November 14, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Oh, wow! I never tried some meal subscription box before. It sounds pretty cool. I will definitely check this out.

22. November 14, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Fab seeing a review of them both. I’m absolutely dying to try Gousto but they don’t deliver to my area yet. When they do I will most defo be ordering as I keep hearing such fab feedback x

23. November 15, 2018 / 7:52 am

I toyed with the idea of joining but when I had a look at some meals they were hit and miss with what all of us would eat and it would of worked out really expensive for us as a month I only spend about £150 on our food shopping.

24. November 15, 2018 / 11:09 am

We have reviewed both of these sub boxes on our blog and I prefer the Gousto box too!

25. November 17, 2018 / 12:20 am

I haven’t tried either of these subscription boxes as we do love to cook from scratch and also we tend to go with the flow as to what to eat. Picking up our meat daily from the butchers and always have a good store cupboard of base ingredients. This only works though as we both work from home. I’m sure if we were travelling to work each day then boxes like these would be a lifesaver!