One Thing I Hate About…. | Beauty Edition

One Thing I Hate About…. | Beauty Edition

It’s almost impossible for any product or item to be 100% perfect, there might be a very small flaw in the packaging, the application or a particular shade or colour. I have loads of products like this, things I love, use regularly and would happily re-purchase but there’s just one little thing which means that aren’t the best of the best.

After using a particular face mask which features on this list I thought to myself how much better it would be without the one thing which I had a problem with so I decided to turn it into a mini-feature as sometimes with the near perfect items people almost forgive tiny flaws.

Glamglow Gravitymud

I might just be a sucker for the colour but I really do like the Glamglow Gravitymud mask. Despite the heftier price tag attached to it I’ve found that it lasts really well and even after six complete face uses it doesn’t look like much has been used. With the larger pot, you get a small brush to help you apply the whitey gray product which over the course of the next 20-30 minutes turns an awesome silver colour giving a real spaceman vibe. And for once, unlike other so-called peel masks, it does just peel away and my skin felt firmer and more radiant after use

It’s the scent for me which is the one thing I hate about this mask. It’s a coconut scent but I don’t think it’s subtle at all and when it’s on your face and slowly working away it’s all I can smell.

The Ordinary Primer

The Ordinary High-Spreadability Fluid Primer

After a small splurge on the Abnormal Cosmetics site, I picked up a bunch of products from The Ordinary including the high-spreadability fluid primer which at just £5.50 is a complete bargain.

It’s a simple silicone-based primer which sinks pretty quickly into the skin and provides a great base for my foundation doing exactly what it says on the tin to keep my foundation smooth and on my face for longer. But one thing I hate about it is the dropper application. I don’t know if it’s just me but I have no idea how to apply it without making a mess. Usually, with primer, I pop some on my finger and lightly rub it into my face but you can’t do that with this liquid primer and when I try and squeeze the dropper directly onto my face I end up making a mess.

Charcoal Toothpaste

Teeth whitening is something I’ve always been interested in as sadly my teeth are not white, and they have never been despite how much I brush and care for them so I’ve tried a few different things and while I love charcoal toothpaste I just have the smell of them. It’s rare to find out which has a minty smell and for me this is something I look for in a toothpaste, it just feels fresher which is a good sign for my teeth.

If anyone could recommend a charcoal toothpaste which does taste and smell minty do let me know.

Too Faced Liquid Lipstick

Too Faced Melted Chocolate Liquid Lipstick

I absolutely love Too Faced Liquid lipsticks and I think they’ve nailed the formula of a matte lip without it being drying or feeling strange on your lips but one thing I hate about it is the squeezy tubes of the melted chocolate ones. A standard doe foot applicator for me is the easiest way to apply liquid lipstick and allows you to get into the corners and apply it perfectly.

With a squeezy tube, I am so conscious of squeezing out too much and having product going everywhere – much like I used to with the Benefit They’re Real gel eyeliner. But then sometimes not enough product comes out and with the style applicator being like a sponge there’s always old product stuck on there which can’t be good. I’ll still continue to use this as it’s a great liquid lipstick but the tube is such a nightmare.

What little things annoy you about beauty products?

One Thing I Hate About.... _ Beauty Edition

This post has been written in collaboration with The Smile Dentist but all thoughts and opinions are my own

1. Charlotte Anne Brand
    January 25, 2018 / 12:50 pm

I really understand what you mean about the too faced liquid lipsticks! I have resorted to using a brush when I apply mine, I squeeze out the most tin bit at a time so I don’t waste any product and using the brush makes the application look so much more precise. Although it is a lot of faff to just apply lipstick – the results are worth it as the formula for them is great! Love this post 🙂

Charlotte

2. January 25, 2018 / 11:07 pm

It is really interesting to read the one things you aren’t keen on when you otherwise love a product, I keep meaning to try something from GlamGlow as I have heard so much about it.

3. Hannah
    January 26, 2018 / 12:16 am

I dont like those squeezy tubes either. I really dont get why Too Faced havent redesigned those ones. Their melted mattes are in lip gloss packaging with a doe foot applicator

4. January 26, 2018 / 8:55 am

I don’t like squeezy tubes either – I never know how much I’m supposed to use! Plus, I never know if a product is actually going to do as it claims, despite the huge price tags!

5. Jess
    January 26, 2018 / 10:41 am

YES! I hear you about the droppers. I absolutely hate them, particularly on face oils. I had to throw out a shirt cause the oil just wouldn’t come out after the oil slipped right off the dropper, over my cheek and right onto my freshly ironed shirt. I hope the dropper trend goes away soon. It’s so unpractical.

6. January 26, 2018 / 11:02 am

I think the main thing that annoys me is bad packaging resulting in too much wasted product. You know when you can see that there’s still some left in the bottom but it just won’t pump out? So annoying.

7. January 26, 2018 / 11:04 am

I really want to try some charcoal toothpaste and am really intrigued by the whole concept. I think I would miss that minty taste and smell too though to be honest! x

8. Bethany
    January 26, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I’ve needed a few skin care products to keep up glowing skin as I’m scared of getting spots (I had loads as a kid), might just need to buy this from amazon.

9. January 26, 2018 / 6:46 pm

Such a fab and honest review. I would love to try some charcoal toothpaste, but just a little wary x

10. January 27, 2018 / 3:55 pm

I love this post as it’s so true there’s often that one niggly thing. Although I guess what one person hates another loves, for example I adore anything that smells of coconut!

11. January 27, 2018 / 9:13 pm

This is such an enlightening post and things that would definitely bother me too. Re the charcoal toothpaste, I usually opt for quite a heavy duty (ie not every day) one, and then follow up with my usual toothpaste so that I still get the minty freshness.

12. January 28, 2018 / 9:55 am

I love the fact that this is an honest review complaining about the things that bug us all. I am totally with you on the Oil droppers; such a mess!
    I personally hate foundation bottles that have pump dispensers that do not unscrew. Eventually when you get to the bottom, the pump stops working but there is loads of product around the sides etc that you could “pour” out and use. I find this especially frustrating with the high end/cost ones, such as Chanel.

13. January 28, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I have an oil primer from Smashbox that I absolutely hate the dropper on so I definitely know how you feel! x

14. January 28, 2018 / 7:37 pm

I know the feeling and its true no product is 100 % perfect there is always something that bugs us. I for instance have some awesome face moisturizers that I wish had a pump although I do apply them with clean hands I still don’t like sticking my fingers lol… because I love the creams I still re-purchase them and use a small flat eyeshadow brush now instead of my fingers.

15. January 29, 2018 / 10:05 am

That primer sounds like an absolute winner! Charcoal toothpaste does taste revolting, I’ll keep my eye out for a minty one and let you know if I find one.

16. January 29, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Great post! I’m not a fan of the formula of the Too Faced liquid lipsticks – I found they transferred onto my teeth often. I also don’t like their squeeze tube either. I currently use the Beverly Hills Formula Charcoal toothpaste which has a slight minty flavour (if I remember correctly lol).

17. January 29, 2018 / 12:21 pm

I hate it when packaging ruins the experience of a product. For example, I used to love a Champneys product that came in a glass bottle. It slid out well and was simple to run under running water. Then they changed to plastic and I could barely get the product out and wasted so much by having to add water to use it!

18. January 29, 2018 / 1:18 pm

I don’t like when products aren’t cruelty free and that really puts me off using them. I also don’t like excess waste and products that come in a ridiculous amount of unnecessary packaging.

19. January 29, 2018 / 1:31 pm

What a great idea for a series. You are right, there is always one thing. I would like a minty charcoal toothpaste too, if such a thing exists. My biggest annoyance is the fibres on the applicator of the liquid eyeliner I use. 90% of the time all is fine but every now and then one will start breaking away and if I don’t notice then I need to start the eye makeup from the start.

20. January 29, 2018 / 3:01 pm

For me it is mascara applicators! My favourite ones never have very good applicatiors. I think if I ever find the perfect one I may faint!!!

21. January 30, 2018 / 1:06 am

I know what you mean about the too faced products, I wish that they had the doe foot applicator which is much easier. One thing I hate about beauty is how many brands test on animals, but I know in time there will be much more brands who become cruelty free!

22. January 30, 2018 / 10:43 am

I really love this! As a blogger, I am so used to hearing raving reviews about things so it is nice to hear other niggles people have! I’ve never used charcoal toothpaste but I am the same as you – if it wasn’t minty and fresh, it would feel like my teeth weren’t really clean! Here’s hoping someone takes heed of our comments! haha

23. January 30, 2018 / 11:07 am

This is a great post – reading your niggles is refreshing. I love my toothpaste super minty so am curious about the charcoal one. Kaz

24. January 30, 2018 / 11:38 am

I love charcoal toothpastes, I prefer them to the overly minty ones. I really don’t like how some loose powders are packaged, it means I make a right mess.

25. January 30, 2018 / 3:57 pm

Love how honest you are, it is annoying when you find a product you love but there is something about it that annoys you. I’ve not tried the glam glow face masks but I love to hear that they actually peel off, I’ve used so many that don’t and it’s rrally annoying xx

26. Emma white
    February 1, 2018 / 10:39 am

I don’t mind coconut but I have an amazing body lotion but it’s a lavender scent and honestly as much as I love the product I can’t force myself to use it it’s just awful

27. February 18, 2018 / 8:33 am

I have tried a mask by Glamglow but I found it very grainy and very hard to wash off. I see they have launched new products since then so I will look into trying those out.

28. February 20, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Im with you on the charcoal toothpaste! I hate that they don’t taste like actual toothpaste and leave you feeling fresh!