Cozy Pub Food At The Gate, Rickmansworth

Cozy Pub Food At The Gate, Rickmansworth

I have to admit I am a huge fan of pub food because there’s usually such an array of choice that it’s suitable for even the fussiest of eaters, and usually you get decent food for a really reasonable price. This is one of the reasons I was so excited to head to The Gate in Rickmansworth/ Chorleywood, plus I’d looked at the menu and a lot of great looking things.

First things first unforuntely things weren’t particularly quick at this restaurant, for example although we were acknowledged at the door we did wait over 5 minutes for someone to come over, check out booking and find us a table. The pub didn’t look overly understaffed but I’m hoping this was just isolated to our Thursday evening. There was so much choice not only of food but of drinks with over two pages just dedicated to gin which was music to Luke’s ears as we both love a good gin. I chose a White Chocolate Russian cocktail which was smooth and creamy but perhaps a little more alcoholic tasting than I’d prepared my body for, and Luke went for a lemon drizzle gin which tasted amazing made with a new Sipsmith gin available in M&S which we’ve already been out to buy ourselves. Although again our drinks took a long time to come out and I was parched when they arrived, so much so that I wish I’d ordered a soft drink to down first.

artisan breads

We decided to choose an array of starters including some artisan breads (£5.75) and then I had the Salmon Taco’s (£6.75)  and Luke opted for Salt & Szechuan Pepper Squid (£6.95) . My salmon Taco’s were so tasty and everything inside them was so fresh and Luke’s squid was perfectly cooked with just the right amount of batter to squid ratio. The breads were really tasty but I did feel compared to the other starters that it was a little expensive for what you got.

Next up was our main courses which was Wagu Burgers (£16.95) for us both. Now Luke’s had a Wagu Burger before so had high expectations and they did exceed them. The burger itself was juicy and really well seasoned but not too juicy that it became messy to eat which is something that puts me off burgers sometimes. The chips were the perfect thickness as they were light and airy inside but small enough to get that crispy edge but the stand out for my were the crispy onions which were incredibly crunchy.

wagu beef burger

Despite being a little on the full side I knew we had to have desserts as I’d spotted so many great items on the menu before we had come, although this was the only advantage to each course being so spread out was that our stomaches settled enough before we were able to get a dessert menu.

Luke instantly picked out the brownie (£6.50) which is a pretty safe choice for him but I spent ages debating between about three options finally settling on the Melting Golden Chocolate Orange Bomb (£7.95) and I am so glad that I made that decision. When it came out the waitress poured hot chocolate over the bomb which melted down the sides so it all carmalised and infused together alongside the ice cream centre and popping candy surround. The popping candy was a great addition as it mixed up the texture of the dessert but I have to admit with so much else going on I couldn’t taste the orange in there, but I might have genuinly just missed it.

melting chocolate orange bomb

The food at The Gate was of a very high standard and everything tasted fresh and very tasty with the wagu burger and hot chocolate bomb being the stand out items for me and thankfully the food did make up for the slow service which left us with empty plates in front of us for 10-15 minutes, and spending quite a while waiting for drinks or the bill but as I said before hopefully they were just understaffed that day and we were unlucky.

Cozy Pub Food At The Gate, Rickmansworth

*We were given a gift card towards the value of our meal in exchange for a blog post but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. April 18, 2018 / 1:52 pm

All the food looks amazing. However like you, I cannot abide slow service, I have been known to walk out! 😉 Sim x

2. April 18, 2018 / 3:02 pm

Looks like you enjoyed a big meal which you enjoyed. Getting to review restaurants is always a bonus!

3. April 18, 2018 / 3:24 pm

OO delicious! You pretty much had my ultimate meal – can’t beat fresh bread with oil and vinegar to start 🙂

4. April 18, 2018 / 8:20 pm

This looks well yummy. I love to nibble on olives, bread and oils before a dinner x

5. April 18, 2018 / 9:03 pm

It’s such a shame you were let down by the service. I’m glad the food made up for it as it sounds delicious!

6. April 19, 2018 / 1:36 pm

Sounds like a great place to eat and the food looks great! I also like that it seems like a cozy little pub to eat at. I like cozy:)

7. April 19, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I’ve been here and boy is it delicious .. it’s like a pub mixed with elegance. The food though is to die for.

8. April 19, 2018 / 9:17 pm

Wow that all looks delicious! It’s a shame when the service lets you down but sometimes it’s worth it when the food is good!

9. April 19, 2018 / 9:28 pm

I love my pub food hence this selection of photos made my mouth water, how unfortunate that their service was not as high standard a it should have been.

10. April 20, 2018 / 7:01 am

Yum this all looks incredible!I can’t pass up some good pub food!

11. April 20, 2018 / 9:40 am

The food certainly looks and sounds delicious! Sorry to hear service was slow, as you say hopefully they were just understaffed! I hope they apologised for slow service though! x

12. April 20, 2018 / 2:03 pm

Oh! The Wagu Burgers are so tempting. I’m now craving to eat burgers as I read how you’ve described its juiciness.

13. April 20, 2018 / 2:32 pm

Wow to the melting orange bomb! I must admit I would have been irritated by having to wait so long at the entrance though.

14. April 20, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Pub food has certainly changed over the last few years, and it looks like this Pub has certainly upped their game and menu. The food choices look absolutely yummy.

John M

15. Jade bremner
    April 20, 2018 / 5:36 pm

I think I would have had to of said something there and then about the slow service as it annoys me when you are just stood there like a lemon. We went to harvester one day and they took forever to seat us and take our order and I made it very clear that it wasn’t acceptable and then an apology can work wonders for keeping customers happy.

16. April 20, 2018 / 8:09 pm

Oh my God! Your desert looks amazing! I sometimes enjoy slow service because it gives me chance to gather my thoughts and I’m not one for rushing through meals. If I have hungry whiny kids then I do get a little antsy but I LOVE to make the most of eating out.

The food does look amazing though.

17. April 20, 2018 / 8:24 pm

The food looks delicious. I always rate places by its service rather than food, so its a shame it let you down

18. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    April 21, 2018 / 3:47 am

Oh, my goodness!! All foods look so delicious and really tempting. It seems that you really enjoy all the foods there.

19. April 22, 2018 / 4:07 pm

The food all looks delicious! I don’t mind so much the service being slow when I’m out with my husband or friends but there’s nothing worse than when I have the kids with me!

20. April 23, 2018 / 10:48 am

The food looks amazing, I don’t mind being l left for a while after my dinner…..lets my food go down and more room for pudding!!!