Fine Dining In The Heart Of Mayfair At Galvin At The Athenaeum

Fine Dining In The Heart Of Mayfair At Galvin At The Athenaeum

I class myself as very lucky being so close to London and hundreds if not thousands of fantastic restaurants to choose from. The problem though with this is how hard it can be choosing somewhere to eat so when I was invited along to The Galvin at The Athenaeum Hotel I jumped at the chance of reviewing somewhere new.

The Athenaeum Hotel is located in Mayfair and just a short walk from The Ritz and Green Park making it a really central location and really easy to find as strolled along from the station. Galvin is the restaurant which sits inside the beautiful hotel and Michelin-starred London chefs Chris and Jeff Galvin are the brains behind the restaurant. The menu in short champions British homegrown produce and supports independant farmers across the UK.

Galvin Gin

We arrived a little before our booking so were taken to the bar to wait and it was such a lovely space with greenery surrounding the windows outside, comfortable velvet bucket seats and a spirit and cocktail list to die for. As both me and Luke are gin fans we each picked a different gin to trial and it was so nice to have a selection of gins that we’d never heard of before. We were so relaxed in the bar that we actually ended up heading into the restaurant 10 minutes after our reservation was booked for *oops*.

Galvin Whitebait

I started with a whitebait starter as I feeling a bit of fish, and Luke decided to try the Steak Tarte and both were really tasty. With the whitebait the coating was thin that it didn’t overpower the tasty crispy fish inside, and the Steak Tarte was incredibly seasoned and so soft.

Galvin Steak Tarte

For the mains I opted for the special recommended by our waiter which was the Beef Cheek which Asparagus and mash while Luke went for the Rib Eye with chips and green peppercorn sauce.

The beef cheek that I had was the softest meat I have ever eaten, I could cut it through with just my fork and the sauce and mash which accompanied it was incredibly tasty. Luke dimished his Rib Eye steak and even though he’s not usually a fan of chunky chips they were crispy and fluffy at the same time.

Galvin Beef Cheek

For once we had space for desert so Luke opted for a selection of sorbets and ice creams and I had the chocolate mousse with pistachio and almond biscuits which was a fantastic end to our meal.

From the second we sat down to the second we left the staff were so intentive but not smothering. You know when staff can come over just a bit too much and it can get on your nerves, this wasn’t like that and was perfect, just what you’d expect from a higher end restaurant.

Galvin Mousse

For the quality of food that you get the restaurant is well worth the money and there’s an absolutely fantastic value set menu which is just £24.50 for three courses and you can choose to have this between 12pm and 230pm Monday- Friday or 530pm-7pm any day of the week, the later being the perfect time to eat before a show.

Fine Dining In The Heart Of Mayfair At Galvin At The Athenaeum

*We were invited along as guests and were given a three course meal to review but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. May 4, 2018 / 1:31 pm

What a luxurious opportunity for you to eat somewhere so nice.

2. hannah wood
    May 4, 2018 / 3:41 pm

My gosh this place looks so amazing and very nice set-up too love the look of the yummy food.

3. May 5, 2018 / 11:23 am

I’m also a gin fan and would enjoy trying different types. The dessert looks delicious.

4. May 5, 2018 / 4:15 pm

Now this looks like a nice place to go and visit for a meal. I am loving the look of the pudding, it is great to know it offers good value for money!

5. May 6, 2018 / 7:51 am

Oh wow, the food looks absolutely yummy and the location seems perfect. I have not heard of this restaurant before but adding it to my list of places to visit in London

6. May 6, 2018 / 5:21 pm

It’s such a beautiful place to dine at and it’s definitely worth it, after seeing all the good food. I’ll make sure to take note of this restaurant since we plan to go back to London soon!

7. May 6, 2018 / 5:25 pm

I’m in London and never heard of this place before.
    My birthdays coming up and I think this is my chosen restaurant … it sounds amazing and the food looks mouthwatering.

8. May 6, 2018 / 7:53 pm

What a lovely meal and gorgeous restaurant. Chocolate mousse is one of my favourites and I love the pairing of that one with almond biscuits, yum!

9. May 7, 2018 / 9:58 am

£24.50 is incredible value for a set menu in the heart of London. I will admit to being a teeny bit envious that you have access to so many amazing restaurants almost on your doorstep.

10. May 7, 2018 / 10:05 am

The ambiance looks so inviting and the food portions look just the right size at Athenaeum. I have never tried beef cheeks before but would love to try it after reading your post as I am so curious now. Will be bookmarking this for when we do head to Mayfair next.

11. May 8, 2018 / 12:28 pm

I thought it was going to be madly expensive for its location but that looks very reasonable

12. May 8, 2018 / 4:28 pm

Oh wow, what a fancy restaurant! I live so close to London but I don’t think I’ve ever been to a restaurant there. The food looks lovely.

13. Dannii
    May 9, 2018 / 8:14 am

Everything looks so beautifully presented. This would be perfect for an anniversary or a big birthday.

14. May 10, 2018 / 1:49 pm

the food look great. And the price for the set menu is so reasonable – especially for such a fantastic location x

15. May 10, 2018 / 3:15 pm

Me and my husband love eating out – food is our favourite. This restaurant looks very elegant and the food delicious.

16. May 11, 2018 / 9:36 pm

I can’t believe how cheap this meal was! Great treat for such yummy looking food too! 🙂

17. May 12, 2018 / 9:57 am

It sounds like a very relaxing meal with some delicious food, the rib eye steak would be what I would order as I do love steak, not sure about eating it raw in the tartare form though as I prefer it mid well! Glad you had a good time.

18. May 13, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Green Park has got some gorgeous restaurants and I know what you mean about there being too much choice sometimes. I would love to try both the mains that you went for, they both sound delicious

19. Ingrid
    May 14, 2018 / 7:55 pm

The ambience and the presentation of the food makes these restaurant a winners

20. May 20, 2018 / 7:21 pm

I can’t believe the price! That’s amazing. Also love the presentation of food. Beautiful!