How My New Halogen Oven Has Changed My Kitchen Game

How My New Halogen Oven Has Changed My Kitchen Game

About 18 months ago in a bid to create better, crispier Slimming World chips I bought an air fryer and when I was using it loads it was a godsend but recently it’s spent more time in the cupboard than out being used. Recently I had the opportunity to try out a halogen oven* from Domu and I’m going to be quite honest I had no idea about the real difference between that and what I already had but I was ready to give it a go.

What is a halogen oven?

A halogen oven is a self-contained worktop cooking device which can do pretty much all the same things that a gas or electric oven can including roasting, baking, steaming, frying, reheating and defrosting.

Looks wise it’s quite different from our air fryer as it’s see through which I actually prefer as it means you can see how your food is getting on without having to open it up. We have the larger 12 litre family sized model which in all honesty is probably a bit bigger than what we need but it’s good to have the facility to cook quantities if we want to batch cook to have leftovers or we have people round for dinner.

halogen oven temperature dial

Using the halogen oven

The oven is a large glass dish which sits in the stand and the glass lid has a halogen light on the underneath with a timer and heat switch on the top. In the box there’s actually a lot of bits you get with it including a steamer, a circular baking tray, two wire racks for high and low roasting, a bread rack, tongs, skewers, an extender ring for cooking bigger batches of food and a holder for the lid so it’s pretty extensive.

The oven itself is so easy to use as all you have to do is set the timer and the heat (much like you would with a conventional oven). You don’t need to pre-heat a halogen oven like you do a conventional oven and as the space to heat is so much smaller it cooks food more quickly with chips only taking 20 minutes compared to 30-35 minutes in the oven or air fryer and chicken breasts taking under 20 minutes. This is great but it does mean you’ll need to trial and error cooking as you start, because if you set it for the same time as you would use in the oven and you leave it in the kitchen you will come back to overcooked food.

Because the oven is much quicker to use it uses less energy which is always a good thing especially when you’re only cooking a small amount of items as it’s quite a hassle to warm up a whole oven.

domu halogen oven

Using it to help me with Slimming World

Using the halogen oven you don’t need to cook with fat like we do with an air fryer as it works more like an oven meaning it’s healthier. To make Slimming World chips in our air fryer for example we’d have to add in a bit of oil for it to cook properly whereas with the halogen oven we don’t need that.

One thing which we like to do as much as possible is have roasted vegetables but I find cooking them in the oven they either don’t crisp up properly or they crisp so much that you struggle to pry them from the baking tray/ foil. But cooking them in the halogen oven was so much easier as firstly I got an all over cook meaning there wasn’t a rogue soggy carrot left at the bottom and everything was uniform. When I’d do them in the normal oven there would usually be ones which had got crispier than the others and me and Luke would fight for these ones as whats better than a crispy vegetable?! If crispy isn’t your thing though you can steam your veg in the halogen fryer too.

Having so much versatility with the halogen fryer I know it’s something that I’m going to get a lot of use out of when trying to cook as healthy as possible.

Have you ever used a halogen oven?

How My New Halogen Oven Has Changed My Kitchen Game

1. September 21, 2018 / 9:08 am

oh I love the sound of that! Ive never seen a halogen oven before but that;s amazing you dont need to cook with fat! It sounds great!

2. September 22, 2018 / 8:41 am

This sounds cool. I always associate Halogen with being an expensive thing to run (in terms of lightbulbs anyway), but in terms of an oven it does seem like the cheaper alternative which is brilliant. Love that you can cook without having to use oil as well, that’s a huge plus in my books!

3. September 23, 2018 / 1:01 pm

It looks fab – looks perfect for smaller households, not sure if it would cope with mine

4. September 25, 2018 / 4:30 pm

This sounds like a true godsend and I love the fact it will cook food quicker than a normal oven. I’ve been looking at air fryers for a while but haven’t made the move yet. Love the fact you can see the food cooking! Sim x

5. September 25, 2018 / 10:08 pm

We’ve been looking into getting a halogen oven – I do love a new device for the kitchen! This looks like a fab addition to your kitchen and so handy for cooking without oil too!

6. September 27, 2018 / 1:54 pm

I love that you can see how your food is coming along while you cook it!

7. September 28, 2018 / 3:40 pm

Oooh this sounds great, especially as it helps with slimming world too! xo

8. October 1, 2018 / 10:23 am

I haven’t heard of it until now but it looks really cool. And the review is great. I think I should get one for me too.

9. October 1, 2018 / 5:47 pm

I’ve never used a halogen oven but my mum swears by hers. This one looks fab.

10. October 1, 2018 / 7:58 pm

I so feel you! My husband is over the moon with this devise (he is a cook in our family). And I am loving the results too.

11. Geraline Batarra
    October 2, 2018 / 7:45 am

I never tried to used a halogen oven but it sounds like a good appliance to have in the kitchen and i am sure my mom will surely love it!

12. October 2, 2018 / 2:35 pm

Thank you for sharing I’ve never heard of it and it looks fantastic. Maybe I try one day

13. October 2, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Wow! I’ve never even heard of a halogen oven until today and have always been very confused by the idea of an air fryer. Thank you for explaining in this post! I might just have to get myself one of these. It would make cooking a lot easier!

14. October 2, 2018 / 7:22 pm

Oh I have been thinking about trying one of these but wasn’t sure what they would be like! It sounds as though you are definitely a fan! I do love a roast chicken!

15. Elizabeth O
    October 2, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Oh this looks like an awesome product. It can be really hard to find something that cooks your SW chips well too. I am glad you like it.

16. October 2, 2018 / 10:15 pm

This item looks and sounds very intriguing. I feel like I’m looking into the future looking at the oven. Glad you’re enjoying your new item. New things are great but when the new thing makes food, it’s a game changer. Thanks for sharing this!

17. Emily
    October 3, 2018 / 3:30 pm

I have never seen or heard of his but it sounds great! I use my instant pot for everything and it’s super easy. I might need to invest in this too.

18. chichi
    October 4, 2018 / 11:05 am

Sounds like a great appliance to have. We have an air frier and just like yours its sitting in one of the cupboards!!!

19. Chinedu
    October 4, 2018 / 9:01 pm

Wow i didn’t even know about this. So cool! I hope you continue enjoying it.