My Tattoo Journey And The Importance Of Thinking About Your Artwork

My Tattoo Journey And The Importance Of Thinking About Your Artwork

This is a collaborative post but all thoughts and opinions are my own

I remember being a teenager and wanting tattoos so badly as it was commonplace among the bands I listened to and in the culture of the rock world. I still remember asking my parents at 17/18 to get a tattoo and it was homage to a band I loved at the time and while I was annoyed at my parents for saying no at the time, I am so thankful now as I would have regretted that tattoo and probably ended up looking into tattoo removal later in life.

My parents really don’t like tattoos and even now that me and my brother have multiple ones they still don’t like them, so they had a rule that while I was living under their roof at home I couldn’t get a tattoo. I remember moving out just after finishing university about 3 months before my 22nd birthday and immediately booking in for my first tattoo much to my mum’s annoyance.

My very first tattoo is still one of my biggest – although none of mine are particularly big – and it’s the words ‘Never Give Up On Your Dreams’ on my right arm. It ended up being bigger than I had initially planned but I took my tattoo artists advice and went for a size which wouldn’t bleed as I got older, something I know I’ll be thankful for in years to come.

A year hasn’t gone by since 2012 where I haven’t gotten a new tattoo and over the early years it was usually multiple ones as I started filling up my body. To date I currently have 13 although a few of these are made up of a few components which were done at separate times but I’m just counting them as one. All of my tattoos are confined to two areas of my body, my arms and my feet/ ankles, there’s no real rhyme or reason for this just because this is where I prefer. I don’t like the idea of getting anything on my chest/ stomach/ back which is a personal preference, and although one day I’d like some on my legs I’ve not been tempted to get anything inked there as of yet.

Man tattooing

My first few I went to basic studios and didn’t look into specific artists whereas that has changed now and my last few I have been more interested in the artist as I like to go for people whose style really suits the artwork I’m going for. The person I’ve travelled the furthest for it Jen from Den of Iniquity studio based up in Edinburgh and this is because I love her style of tattooing and I like to champion woman in an overly man dominated industry. I first got a tattoo from her in February 2016 when I went up to Edinburgh on a solo weekend away and it was a black and white stack of books on the inside of my right ankle which I love. I knew I wanted her to do another on the inside of my left ankle so I left the space free until I went back in May of this year and got a black and white cassette tape with flowers inked.

The other tattooist who I love is Aaron Anthony from The Circle who is a master of mandala tattoos. I’d been wanting a mandala tattoo for a while and I knew Aaron was who I wanted to tattoo me but I had to save for this one as it was my priciest tattoo by some way, definitely in part due to the location of the studio being just off Oxford Street. We designed the exact style of my tattoo on the day and it was surprisingly quick to finish despite in intricacy of it and I love it, it’s probably my favourite tattoo that I have and I’m sure I’ll get another one to match on my other arm at some point.

I’m quite thankful that I don’t regret any of my tattoos, although I do think if I’d have gotten tattooed earlier in my life I would have started to regret them as I didn’t think too much about what I wanted them and how it would age. When I start thinking of tattoo ideas now I always save loads of images and don’t rush into anything, usually I think about a design and whether I want something for a minimum of 1 year before getting it done as I’d hate to make a rash decision and need to get the tattoo removed via laser.

Do you have any tattoos? Or have you thought about getting one?

My Tattoo Journey And The Importance Of Thinking About Your Artwork

1. November 30, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Tattoos aren’t for me, but I’m all about doing what makes you happy and lettingothers lead their own lives, so I’m glad you like yours and enjoy having them done. Mich x

2. Monidipa Dutta
    November 30, 2018 / 5:08 pm

Technically, having tattoos obviously doesn’t affect one’s career or job prospects as much as it once did. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have any effect at all. I have 4 tattoos and I love them, my tattoos mean certain stuff…

3. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    November 30, 2018 / 7:33 pm

I have one tattoo and that’s probably all I’ll ever get! It was so painful for me that I can’t think of another design that I want enough to go through that again haha.

4. Kristine Nicole Alessandra
    December 1, 2018 / 7:11 am

I wanted to have one when I was younger but I know my mom would eventually find out and she’d throw me out of the house. Haha. Well, I guess it is too late for me to have one now. I am just content with looking at beautiful tattoos on other people.

5. December 1, 2018 / 12:27 pm

Ooo I am so not brave enough to have one. However, they can be a great way to express yourself for sure xx

6. December 1, 2018 / 5:53 pm

I have to admit that I am not a fan of tattoos but both my older kids have them. I wish they had thought properly about them before they started

7. December 1, 2018 / 6:12 pm

I don’t have any, no. I’ve considered it in the past but never got round to doing it.

8. December 1, 2018 / 10:31 pm

I haven’t had a tattoo in a while. I have one on my wrist and one on my chest. I could definitely see myself having more done.

9. December 2, 2018 / 2:04 am

I know several people who tattoos. I think they are very cool. I love the stories behind people’s tattoos. I do not have any tattoos, yet. I have been designing one that I want and I hope to get it in 2019. Hopefully once I get my first one then I can move on to getting more.

10. Kimberly Caines
    December 2, 2018 / 6:58 am

I am still impressed with tattoo artist who can design awesome art. Other says that people who had tattoo are bad but they didn’t know that it’s a part of art.

11. December 2, 2018 / 1:45 pm

My tastes vary so much from month to month that despite being a fan of piercings, I’ve never been inked. I’m far too fickle, lol!

12. December 2, 2018 / 3:10 pm

I really would love a tattoo but I’m scared of the pain but more scared I’ll wish I had something else or I’ll see someone with a better tattoo!!

13. December 2, 2018 / 4:21 pm

I don’t have a tattoo as of yet. I have thought about getting one. I just haven’t found one I really felt like had intense meaning to me. I thought about a couple but you are right you really need to know what you are doing and what you want before you actually go through it.

14. December 2, 2018 / 11:19 pm

I have four tattoos and luckily don’t regret any of them. I got my first one at 17 and I spent months making sure it was one I really wanted. I do love getting a tattoo, I get such a buzz from it, however, I don’t think I’d get any more!

15. December 2, 2018 / 11:20 pm

I love tattoos and have a few. But after getting a couple on a whim I completely agree that it is important to think about your artwork, look at different designs and wait for awhile to see if you still like it at least a few months down the line as it will be something you’ve got to live with for a long time unless you opt for tattoo removal or cover-up.