OOTD – Finding The Perfect Dress For Your Body Shape

OOTD – Finding The Perfect Dress For Your Body Shape

I’ll hold my hands up and say that I don’t love myself or have a whole lot of self confidence about my body so when it comes to choosing clothes I can struggle. I’ll order items or try things on in a changing room and stare at myself in the mirror throwing out so many designs which I don’t see as flattering for my shape, or ones which make me feel negative about my body shape. For me it’s about how I feel in the clothing and how I see myself, as if I think I look good and I feel positive then I don’t really care what others think.

One of the things which I’ve been loving over the past few years is the increase in high street brands introducing Plus Size collections, although there’s still not enough of them. One place which excites me is River Island. As a teenager I’d love going into the store and buying the odd item as to me it was ‘high end’ compared to the likes of Primark and New Look which was what I’d usually afford with my Saturday job money. I was always on the top end of the clothing size scale in River Island and in recent years I’ve tipped off the edge but knowing that they have a plus size range has reignited my love again.

me in the doorway of hotel du vin wearing a river island bardot dress

I was lucky enough to work with them recently on a campaign focused on dresses and bardot dresses in particular so I ended up with this stunning floral and spot print dress which I absolutely love. The top part of the dress has a stretchy overlay meaning that my boobs don’t feel like they’re stretching out the material and it has a cold shoulder/ bardot neckline with added camisole shoulder straps to keep it up. It has long sleeves which are elasticated which is something I love as when it’s sunny I can push up the sleeves and the elasticated edge keeps them from falling down but in the cooler weather I can pull them down. Length wise it’s also perfect as I am a huge fan of dresses which come just above my knee as my legs are one part of my body which I don’t mind.

A dress of this design which isn’t tight or fitted means that it doesn’t stick to parts of my body which I don’t like so I don’t grit my teeth every time I walk past a mirror. That’s why the fit and style of a dress or any other item of clothing can be so important and it’s what makes us all unique, all of our body shapes and sizes are different. For me this design is reasonably flattering and best of all makes me feel positive about myself, but for others it might be a different style which works for you.

Plus black floral spot print bardot dress* – River Island – £40 (Currently on sale for £20) – Link here
 *similar* Black Glitter Vans – £27.99 – Link Here

OOTD - Finding The Perfect Dress For Your Body Shape

1. August 17, 2018 / 12:43 pm

My wife too loves such bright flowery dresses. She especially loves them during the summers! Im forwarding this to her. Im sure she would love this!

2. August 17, 2018 / 3:48 pm

I needed this! It has been a challenge to find a perfect dress since I gained a lot of weight. Thank you for these tips. Can’t wait to shop again and apply these tips.

3. August 17, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I really struggle with dresses as I always think they make me look pregnant. I love this dress on you though

4. August 18, 2018 / 5:15 am

Lovely dress and style. Even though I’m not plus size, I’m still picky over how dresses hug my slim curves and torso. If it doesn’t look right, it’s tossed in the “no” pile lol.

5. August 18, 2018 / 11:16 pm

Good one. Always a hard moment when we add up and want to have that look of choice. But glad theres a catch to iy. Nice dress. So long you feel comfortable. Its a good goal gotten.

6. August 19, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I adore bardot dresses and you look fabulous in that one! I love the pattern!

7. August 19, 2018 / 12:28 pm

I’ve started feeling more comfortable in dresses recently, they work so much better in summer don’t they? Love that floral design, it really suits you.

8. Elizabeth O
    August 19, 2018 / 12:36 pm

This was such a helpful post indeed. Dressing for our shape can change how we look and feel about ourselves for sure!

9. August 19, 2018 / 2:06 pm

I love this dress, really like flowery prints and love red and black

10. August 19, 2018 / 4:18 pm

This dress is so cute and you look banging in it! Dressing for your shape is so important and a bardot dress is so forgiving on everyone. I love them!

Katie xoxo

11. August 19, 2018 / 6:02 pm

I am all about comfortable fashion, knowing what matches your body shape can help with body confidence.

12. August 19, 2018 / 8:14 pm

This dress is so beautiful and really complements your body shape. It’s such a sweet pattern too x

13. August 19, 2018 / 11:03 pm

What a fab looking dress, you wear it so well. Works well with the flat vans x

14. August 20, 2018 / 2:26 am

I have such a hard time with my daughter as with the expectations of her height come with other expectations where she isn’t fully developed yet. I have heard getting them fitted helps but it is frustrating when looking for her for a dress.

15. August 20, 2018 / 10:52 pm

Looks like a really nice dress, you suit it! I have started wearing dresses more now too. I love river island clothes at the moment.

16. August 21, 2018 / 1:34 am

I am all for finding the best dress for my body shape. Honestly, I am also overweight. And although I already shed some pounds, my balance doesn’t still look balance. So I look for clothes that are loose but are still flattering because of color and shape. 😀

17. August 21, 2018 / 7:12 am

Its always good to follow your heart and do what you love. No matter what we wear, we should be feeling confident enough from witin.

18. August 21, 2018 / 10:52 am

Oh, I am so with you on this. I almost always struggle when it comes to finding the perfect dresses for myself. I’d like things on the shelf but the moment I go to the trial room I’ll keep on doubting. Love that floral dress on you!

19. August 21, 2018 / 4:25 pm

I love this dress and the beautiful floral design. It is perfect for this time of the year.

20. August 22, 2018 / 6:50 am

Love the pattern of your dress, it’s gorgeous. I wore a lot of bardot dresses when I was pregnant as they’re just so comfortable and flattering.